Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will the Thursday announcement be about?

What will Tesla announce in California, Thursday at 2 PM, as per Elon's tweets?

• Nothing

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Model Y (or other vehicle) unveiling date

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • The Model Y (or other vehicle) itself

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Model 3 SR

Votes: 44 19.5%
  • An acquisition of another company

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Tesla being acquired / going private

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • A major Autopilot advance / release

Votes: 50 22.1%
  • Supercharger V3

Votes: 42 18.6%
  • Paying off the 1 March convertible bonds

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Something related to the SEC action

• A new production facility (e.g. GF4, etc)

• Other (add in the comments!)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Model S,X and 3 order page:

upload_2019-2-28_15-48-18.png

Probably, coupled with some info on the website and a press release.

Yeah. I would agree. These two items are appropriate for this type of announcement. If it's only one then SC3 is more likely than HW3, I think.
The APH4 code has been on Tesla's website for over 6 weeks for non-US orders. APH3 = AP2.5 so presumably APH4 = AP3 HW.

Hopefully we'll see APH4 on the US website soon!

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
"The wait is almost over". What have we been waiting for? FSD, certainly. But I really really don't believe we're going to see that. HW3, seems a bit underwhelming in that it probably wouldn't offer much in the way of new capabilities initially. Maybe. I don't know that we've all been "waiting" for SC3. A lot of us have been waiting for the S refresh, but trapping the "order now" button for all models implies that it's something across all of the lines.

IMHO not Supercharger v3. At best it would make an incremental difference. It's not worth a grand media splash.

A significant battery technology change would have to come first to support significantly higher charging rates at normal-ish battery sizes (thinking ~75kWh).

"The wait is almost over". What have we been waiting for? FSD, certainly. But I really really don't believe we're going to see that. HW3, seems a bit underwhelming in that it probably wouldn't offer much in the way of new capabilities initially. Maybe. I don't know that we've all been "waiting" for SC3. A lot of us have been waiting for the S refresh, but trapping the "order now" button implies that it's something across all of the lines.
Maybe "waiting" at Superchargers will be a thing of the past? :)

Reactions: sandpiper
Trapping the order page for all items is pretty consistent with what Apple does when they announce new things in one line or another. Its not just about trapping the orders for that particular thing that changed, but also making sure people don't place orders for other things that they'll want to pull back when they see the new stuff. So Trapping orders for model S and Model X when they're just updating the 3 with a major pricing and availibility change makes sense. Or shoot -- maybe it really is the model Y. I don't think the world really has been waiting impatiently for the upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Maybe "waiting" at Superchargers will be a thing of the past? :)

That would be cool!
Trapping the order page for all items is pretty consistent with what Apple does when they announce new things in one line or another. Its not just about trapping the orders for that particular thing that changed, but also making sure people don't place orders for other things that they'll want to pull back when they see the new stuff. So Trapping orders for model S and Model X when they're just updating the 3 with a major pricing and availibility change makes sense. Or shoot -- maybe it really is the model Y. I don't think the world really has been waiting impatiently for the upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0.

The MY reveal warrants a big stage event. And this is more than a teaser, so it's not the MY. This is a launch of... something. Or some things. Announcing the availability of the SR... no. I just can't see it. I would see that as a simple letter that goes out without the advance day of hype.

Trapping the order page for all items is pretty consistent with what Apple does when they announce new things in one line or another. Its not just about trapping the orders for that particular thing that changed, but also making sure people don't place orders for other things that they'll want to pull back when they see the new stuff. So Trapping orders for model S and Model X when they're just updating the 3 with a major pricing and availibility change makes sense.

This is a very good point.

I voted for the bond repayment initially. But now based on the "wait is almost over" note on Tesla's website, I bet it's the SR Model 3.

Yeah. We've not all been waiting for them to repay a bond. :) I think we'll see SC3 and HW3 both. I'm also going to throw a bit of a longer ball and say that Tesla will be adding dual charge ports to all models.

Last edited:
I'm thinking FSD demo but unfortunately that's not a choice here.

Good chance that I was right. It's the only thing I can think of that needs to suspend online ordering.

I voted for the bond repayment initially. But now based on the "wait is almost over" note on Tesla's website, I bet it's the SR Model 3.

Not sure why they would want to suspend S and X ordering if that's the case. Like someone would change his/her mind to order a SR instead.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it a little disconcerting that there's no live feed or presentation or even a press conference. No fanfare. Looks like we're just waiting for the website to change and/or a tweet from Elon?

Since all the order pages changed, maybe it's the infamous Model S/X interior refresh with no instrument cluster like the 3? End of an era.

(They stopped M3 orders so as not to tip their cards that the announcement is just S+X).