Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you like to see added in software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I WANT A DUMB CRUISE CONTROL!!! ONE THAT SETS THE SPEED AND THAT'S THAT!!

All of these could be cured with a 'classic cruise control' mode just like I have used for about 2 decades with no problems.
I've begun just not using it in situations where these events may come up. It seems to do better with the auto-steer engaged.
huh? it does have non-steering cruise control that just regulates speed. is that not what you mean?

I think in this context, "dumb" means "set the vehicle speed and do NOT slow down for anything". Old school cruise control was exactly this. Back in the day we did not have radar, ultrasonic sensors or cameras to automatically regulate the car's speed according to traffic around us. TACC does. Which leads to the possibility of false braking.

Link phone keys to driver profiles so mine gets selected when I unlock and get in. Anyone who doesn't appreciate this does not have other shorter people driving the car. I regularly have Indiana Jones moments when I hit the brake, realize it's on Temple of Doom mode as my face heads towards the windshield and desperately try to hit that tiny button on the touchscreen to save my legs from being crushed.

This was added in a recent update, not sure which one. I’m at 2019.28.3.1 and have It set up to do that for each driver’s phone key.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Sirius/XM radio over internet. No HW required. User pay is fine.
Pseudo AM radio dial - automatically searches Tunein and FM HD sub stations.
Bird’s eye parking view, to the extent possible with existing cameras.
NAV folders for recent, address book, etc like any other NAV for the past 15 years.
Stabilize dancing shadow vehicles, or better still show real images.
Accurate speed limits - some are 2 years behind. Our BMW somehow is always up to date.

Things I'd like to see:

* More than two trip odometers
* Separate surface street and highway settings for TACC follow distance
* Smarter non-creep when stopped (if car is rolling in either direction, apply voltage to arrest wheels)
* Spotify and/or Google Music integration
* Reading of incoming SMS messages; taking dictation for replies
* Sleigh-bell turning signal sounds without cowbell
* "Avoid highways" option for navigation

Sirius/XM radio over internet. No HW required. User pay is fine.
Pseudo AM radio dial - automatically searches Tunein and FM HD sub stations.
Bird’s eye parking view, to the extent possible with existing cameras.
NAV folders for recent, address book, etc like any other NAV for the past 15 years.
Stabilize dancing shadow vehicles, or better still show real images.
Accurate speed limits - some are 2 years behind. Our BMW somehow is always up to date.

Things I'd like to see:

* More than two trip odometers
* Separate surface street and highway settings for TACC follow distance
* Smarter non-creep when stopped (if car is rolling in either direction, apply voltage to arrest wheels)
* Spotify and/or Google Music integration
* Reading of incoming SMS messages; taking dictation for replies
* Sleigh-bell turning signal sounds without cowbell
* "Avoid highways" option for navigation

The NAV stuff is there, though it isn't in one menu/location.
The speed limit thing should be corrected when Tesla starts reading speed limit signs

Why not use hold if you don't want the vehicle to move?
Supposedly SMS reading is coming in version 10.x

I do like you guys other suggestions though.

I'd like the TPMS screen to show tire temps as well.

The NAV stuff is there, though it isn't in one menu/location.

I know you can turn Ferries, Toll roads, and HOV lanes on and off in the routing settings; I don't recall an option to avoid highways entirely.

Why not use hold if you don't want the vehicle to move?

All well and good until you Hold or are trying to un-park from an incline. The call will briefly roll backwards until the input from the Not Gas pedal is sufficient to overcome gravity's influence. Granted, given the power available, that's not much, but still. It'd be nicer not to roll backwards at all unless the car is already in Reverse.

I'd like the TPMS screen to show tire temps as well.

An interesting idea, but unfortunately that would be more than just a software update; to the best of my knowledge most of the the industry-standard consumer-grade TPMS only monitors pressure, not temperature.

That's not Tesla's AP philosophy. They've been trying very hard not to geofence and custom solve any location - lots of extra data for the car to keep, opportunities to miss something, and risks when something changes.

Instead, they need to teach the NN not to steer into the middle of the lane as aggressively when the lane abruptly widens because of a merge.
Auto steer needs to prioritize the left lane line. If the line on the right suddenly widens the lane to 30 feet, there is Never a good reason to find the center. I can't think of a single instance when the car should be more than five feet from that left lane line. As well... the car knows that this is an onramp when it widens, so why not ignore it and just track that left line until the lane very soon becomes the same width again. Of all the challenges for FSD, you'd think this would be a simply one to have solved years ago.

Reactions: dww12
Lots here that I want as well. But what I haven't seen is a geo-fenced "don't lock" for the doors and the charge port. I NEVER want either one locked while in my garage (since it is a pain to open the charge port 2x per day).

I'd also like the HVAC and entertainment to not begin until my butt is in the seat. I reach into the car so many times per day. I don't need the AC or heat to start up each time I open the door if I'm not getting in. I'm not quite so delicate that I can't wait a few more seconds for the HVAC. Or if I am, I can turn it on while walking to the car.

I can't think of a single instance when the car should be more than five feet from that left lane line.
37CB2E4F-B618-4F9C-BE54-21FC80F0AB40.jpeg

Here’s one example where hugging the left lane line would be the wrong thing to do more than 50% of the time. If you are the car at the bottom of the image, your lane is about to widen and then split. The majority of cars here need to go straight, which takes you to downtown Honolulu. The minority will veer off to the left. If the car were to favor the left line, all cars would end up going left, which would be the wrong way for most. Autopilot used to always get this wrong, but over time, it’s learned to not track that left lane line and continue straight. I know this is somewhat of an edge case, but I think it explains why autosteer can’t just ignore lane widening and hug the left line 100% of the time.

View attachment 488322
Here’s one example where hugging the left lane line would be the wrong thing to do more than 50% of the time. If you are the car at the bottom of the image, your lane is about to widen and then split. The majority of cars here need to go straight, which takes you to downtown Honolulu. The minority will veer off to the left. If the car were to favor the left line, all cars would end up going left, which would be the wrong way for most. Autopilot used to always get this wrong, but over time, it’s learned to not track that left lane line and continue straight. I know this is somewhat of an edge case, but I think it explains why autosteer can’t just ignore lane widening and hug the left line 100% of the time.
Fair enough. Thanks for providing a good example. I can think of many others that fly in the face of "I can't imagine a time when a car should be more than 5 feet from the left line."

I wrote hastily. There are MANY times the car will be farther from the left line, but none of those times are when the car is trying to continue in that same lane. When you are exiting the freeway, you'll leave that left line. When you change lines you will leave that left line. And when you come to a fork like this you will (or may wish to) leave that left line. I agree, and I misspoke. BUT... when the car is trying to stay in that lane, and there is no fork, and there is no exit, and there is no lane-change.... THEN I don't see a reason to stray far from that left line. And all of the eventualities mentioned should be known by any system that is intent on being FSD capable.

It just can't be that tough for the car to recognize what an onramp is. I mean, it can tell a cyclists from a motorcyclist. A pickup from an SUV. An onramp is pretty easy... first they're on every map.... second, they don't move around very much! Interestingly enough, an onramp is a "reverse fork" from what you've shown. So yet another reason it should be easy to recognize. But now that I'm writing this, I realize that it may well seem to the car that there might be a choice to veer right when the onramp is responsible for suddenly dropping that right-hand line. (But again, can't it "see" the onramp line closing back down at the same time the original right line is dropped? Grrr.

One more thing in my stream-of-consciousness: If the car reacts to your fork like it does to my onramps, it is STILL the wrong move. We don't want that car centered between the lines as it approaches the dagger of death in the middle of the fork! It has to know what the "lane of travel" is, even without the whites lines. After a certain point, no car should be in the center of that widening "lane."

And lastly: jealous that you live in Hawaii.

Reactions: ZappCatt and fseir
Things I'd like to see:
- Ability to link multiple phones simultaneously (mine for calls, kids for music)
- Guest Tesla phone app to let passengers control media, rear seat heaters, climate with no account/simple pin.
- Ability to connect Xbox controller to car via bluetooth rather than USB cable
- Waze/google incident data / in car incident reporting in NAV.
- phone messaging integration
- voice handoff to siri/google "hey siri <question>" / "hey google <question>". way more voice options in general
- more audio options (audible, apple music, better podcast support)

My #1: Have a way to submit lists like these to Tesla, then allow owners to vote then up and down so that Tesla knows how to make their cars the most desirable in a prioritized fashion.

OK, that's not really a firmware request, but...

My #1: Have a way to submit lists like these to Tesla, then allow owners to vote then up and down so that Tesla knows how to make their cars the most desirable in a prioritized fashion.

OK, that's not really a firmware request, but...
Agree, this would be nice.

Kim, from Like Tesla, just posted this 3 days ago. She ran a twitter poll, collected about 50k responses, and then rank ordered them by popularity and forwarded them to Tesla. Short of your feedback mechanism, YouTube influencers might be the best way to get popular opinion to Tesla.

Sounded like sentry mode enhancements were the most requested software change.