Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's included in the non-Premium Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searching the manual for references to the premium package, it looks like the following are all specific to it, there may be more that isn't listed specifically, like the roof and seat material.
  • power adjustable steering wheel
  • auto tilt in reverse mirrors
  • power folding mirrors (so no auto fold either)
  • storage pockets on the back of the front seats
  • heated outside mirrors
  • power seats
  • "signature" DRLs
  • fog lights
  • heated rear seats
  • immersive sound

Can you configure a "non premium" X or S? A quick review of the website makes it seem as if each has a premium package, but you can't configure one without it. As somesone else noted these are $80,000+ vehicles, heated seats shouldn't be an option.

There used to be a non-premium X and S. The current models have the previous premium stuff as standard. I think that happened just mid this year. The front seats were always heated (as of 2017 anyway), but the base model did not have heated rear seats or steering wheel. Had to get the Subzero package for that ($1000).

A number of people has said no heated seats, and I definitely don't agree with that.
Heated seats WILL remain as every electric car since the 90s had them, and is pretty much a requirement to maintain range. It does not sound particularly expensive to add to the front.
On the latter part, nope. 2011 Leaf didn't come with heated seats nor heated steering wheel. Some folks retrofitted heated seats into their '11 Leafs.

They became a forced included feature on 2012: 2012 Nissan Leaf gets higher price tag, more standard equipment thru model year 2017. However, on '16 and '17 they started not including rear heated seats except on SL trim.

Supposedly, there was a cold weather package available before, but I'm not clear how common it was. The folks that retrofitted their '11s were in California.

Heated seats are also not standard on the '18 Leaf. See specs tab of 2018 Nissan LEAF Press Kit and 2019 Nissan LEAF Press Kit. '19 only had 1 change AFAIK: rear door alert. To get front heated seats on '18 and '19 Leaf S and SV trims, you need an "all weather package". US '18 and '19 Leafs cannot be equipped w/rear heated seats.

Also, from looking at 2019 Bolt EV Electric Car: An Affordable All-Electric Car Specs and Build and Price, it looks like they're not standard on the '19 Bolt either. They come with Premier but for LT, they're optional (via comfort and convenience package).

Last edited:
Agreed. There was not even official nhtsa crash testing if the model 3 until a year after it went on sale....
The published NHSTA crash tests w/star ratings (e.g. 2018 TESLA MODEL 3 4 DR RWD) involve a 35 mph frontal crash test + others.

I've seen the bolded part of Autotrader - page unavailable says elsewhere before:
Note that federal law requires all vehicles to pass a 30-mph frontal crash test before they can be sold in the United States. The separate NCAP frontal crash tests are performed at 35 mph to make differences between vehicles more apparent. The full-width crash test maximizes energy absorption of the entire frontal car structure and illustrates the accompanying stresses on the vehicle's passenger restraints.

The government, which typically picks out and pays for its crash test vehicles at new-car dealer lots, has a "fixed budget" for testing and thus can't perform NCAP tests on every vehicle, NHTSA spokesman Tim Hurd said. So, the agency seeks to select vehicles that are new to the market, substantially redesigned, likely to be popular with consumers and/or equipped with new safety features. However, if an automaker is eager for one of its vehicles to be tested or re-tested by NHTSA, it is acceptable for the company to pay for the vehicle that the agency crash tests, Hurd said.

$35k is nothing now a days. It shouldn’t include any of those things it really should be what it’s listed. No heated seats! No folding mirrors! No center console storage. Empty hole like the early Model S. Heck it shouldn’t even have Nav!!!! Lots of other luxury cars nav is a $2k option!

I paid too much for my model 3 to have all that. It should not be included in the cheap $35k version.

That’s weird. What’s the point of having the two different ones?
I don't know the definitive answer off the top of my head but How Crash Testing Works seems to explain it. The 30 mph is a requirement, a part of FMVSS and sounds like a pass/fail whereas the 35 mph NCAP test was started later.

It is rare that a car fails the FMVSS requirements, so to challenge the carmakers even more -- and to provide valuable information to consumers buying cars -- the NHTSA started their New Car Assessment Program (NCAP). NCAP crashes cars at 35 mph (56 kph) in both frontal and side impact, and rates the cars based on how likely the occupants are to be injured during a crash.

$35k is nothing now a days. It shouldn’t include any of those things it really should be what it’s listed. No heated seats! No folding mirrors! No center console storage. Empty hole like the early Model S. Heck it shouldn’t even have Nav!!!! Lots of other luxury cars nav is a $2k option!

I paid too much for my model 3 to have all that. It should not be included in the cheap $35k version.

I think you're making a joke here, but at the risk of being an Internet Idiot myself, you can outfit a $31K Camry with nav, leather, and heated seats. And all Toyotas these days (even my rental Corolla a few weeks ago) have dynamic cruise control and lane departure warning - it ain't autopilot but it ain't bad either!

Reactions: cwerdna
I think you're making a joke here, but at the risk of being an Internet Idiot myself, you can outfit a $31K Camry with nav, leather, and heated seats. And all Toyotas these days (even my rental Corolla a few weeks ago) have dynamic cruise control and lane departure warning - it ain't autopilot but it ain't bad either!

I think Tesla has to decide if they want to remain a “luxury” car maker though. I believe the “average” new vehicle is $35,000 these days. That includes all the economobiles and all of the luxury cars.

I think Tesla has to decide if they want to remain a “luxury” car maker though. I believe the “average” new vehicle is $35,000 these days.

Sort of... that price includes things like full sized pickup trucks and most SUVs all well above 35k to cheat the average a bit.

The average regular mid-sized car is only $25,776 (as of March 2018)

In contrast the average entry-level luxury car is $41,834 (as of March 2018), the average "regular" luxury car is $58,735, and the average high performance car $96,860.