Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WHATS WITH THE FREAKIN LEAKIN COMPUTER SCREENS-RIDICULOUS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The screen manufacturer that supplies these screens that leak offered 5 different levels of build quality. From consumer grade to industrial grade. Elon went with the cheap ones. The vehicle can not be driven without the screen, so therefore it is just as much a part of the drive train as the motors, the wiring, the charging receptacle. Equivalent of a golf cart with out a "controller". Therefore, they should find coverage, and they will after I take them to court. It's just a shame that I have to do this, because I will have cancelled two future orders (2 Cybertrucks-one to drive and one to flip). So between this $144k pos and another 2 trucks that is about $300k in lost business...

I’m with you. Chevrolet seems to have gotten it right with the Chevrolet Volt 2012 screens. I know of someone with one and they’ve had zero issues. Unless Tesla already fixed leak / yellow screen issues with the latest hardware version, I recommend you suggest Tesla use the same brand and model that Chevrolet is using. They’d just need to have them custom-sized.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
No offense, but I'm DONE with TESLA! GMC is coming out with a100% HUMMER vehicle with very similar spec's as the Cybertruck and it doesn't look like a potato chip on wheels. Tesla's lack of DEALERSHIPS, puts more money in TESLA'S POCKET, but dealing with non-business people (CLERKS) instead is additional frustration that I don't need. A local businessman or woman actually CARES if you come back to buy a car. Clerks do not.

I hope GM has sorted out their other issues. My nearly 100k Z06 had to go to the shop several times for torque converter/trans issues and never was fixed, just a band-aid applied. Does any other brands of the 22 cars you own fix items for free out of warranty?

• Funny
No offense, but I'm DONE with TESLA! GMC is coming out with a100% HUMMER vehicle with very similar spec's as the Cybertruck and it doesn't look like a potato chip on wheels. Tesla's lack of DEALERSHIPS, puts more money in TESLA'S POCKET, but dealing with non-business people (CLERKS) instead is additional frustration that I don't need. A local businessman or woman actually CARES if you come back to buy a car. Clerks do not.
Hope they support it better than they did the ELR. I enjoyed the car and Cadillac service is phenomenal but there were 0 updates and very little support..I mean they never even had a charger to plug the car in during service.

• Funny
I suppose it is too bad. I’ll admit I haven’t seen many people get this upset over something that can be fixed for under 1k. Especially if that’s the first “big” expense since 2015.

Im replacing my MCU1 with MCU2 just to have the upgrade. It’s not failing at all. That will be the only major expense I’ve paid since buying new ~4 years ago. So it’s worth it to me.
Since this is a voluntary/out of pocket upgrade, sell your MCU1 screen (hopefully it’s NOT leaking) to the OP for $999!!! :)

• Love
I wish they had an actual working vehicle at this point. Post launch articles say they are just now building actual test mules? Where does that truly put production-ready?

• Funny
2015 P90D GARAGE QUEEN WITH 37K MILES. I PAID A $144,000.00 OCTOBER 2015 NEW. I NEVER LEFT OUT IN THE SUN OR NIGHT AND BOTH SCREENS STARTED THE DEADLY SCREEN SAP LEAK. THIS TOXIC SUBSTANCE THAT HAS THE CONSISTENCY OF TREE SAP LEAKED ALL OVER MY RAYBANS AND NOW MY SCREENS HAVE BUBBLES, STREAKS AND LEAKS. THE SERVICE CENTER IN ORLANDO TRIED TO PLAY DUMB WHEN I LOOK ON THE INTERNET, IT SEEMS LIKE A COMMON PROBLEM. THEY REFUSE TO COVER IT UNDER THE DRIVE TRAIN WARRANTY EVEN THOUGH THE CAR WON'T OPERATE WITH OUT IT. THEY OFFERED ME NO 6CUSTOMER CONSIDERATION EVEN THOUGH I ORDERED A $75K CYBERTRUCK.

$2,500.00 TO REPLACE BOTH SCREENS THAT ARE DRIPPING ON MY CLOTHES AND CARPETS. HOW STUPID IS THIS. I LEAVE MY LAPTOP IN MY CARS AND THE SCREENS DON'T LEAK. WHAT KIND OF CHEAP SCREENS ARE THEY PUTTING IN A $144K CAR?

IT APPEARS THAT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BUREAU IS GOING TO FORCE TESLA TO DO WHAT THEY SHOULD DO: RECALL.

BTW-I AM CALLING TO CANCEL MY ORDER FOR THE CYBER TRUCK TOMORROW. TESLA OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT REPEAT BUSINESS.
The screen is $550 for just that replacement. Service is sure different now compared to 2015.

• Love
Will Tesla sell you the parts you need to repair your car? Will Tesla sell to a third party and let them fix your car? No they won't The average car on the road is 11 years old. I just don't see lower income folks purchasing 10 to 15 year old Teslas in large numbers since you have to use Tesla for repairs. They may not even make parts for older cars. Tesla doesn't even allow the aftermarket to make sheetmetal parts. Quarter panel for a 2014 Model S only through Tesla at their markup. Hopefully soon Tesla will allow the aftermarket to make parts under license from Tesla like the other manufactures do.

• Love
Will Tesla sell you the parts you need to repair your car? Will Tesla sell to a third party and let them fix your car? No they won't The average car on the road is 11 years old. I just don't see lower income folks purchasing 10 to 15 year old Teslas in large numbers since you have to use Tesla for repairs. They may not even make parts for older cars. Tesla doesn't even allow the aftermarket to make sheetmetal parts. Quarter panel for a 2014 Model S only through Tesla at their markup. Hopefully soon Tesla will allow the aftermarket to make parts under license from Tesla like the other manufactures do.

• Love
I don't know, but like it or not the Chinese will create an aftermarket for Tesla parts if they have not done so already. Mr. Musk seems to have a lot of connections, let's see if they will be anymore loyal to him than they have to anyone else. I have several friends who want to buy my car because it's very, very fast, but knowing what I know about these freakin' leakin' computers I won't sell to them. It's going to the Orlando Auto Auction. The '57 Porsche in the picture does not have any gooey splooge dripping out of it's dash board. It goes 0-60 buy Thursday.

The 2k is for MCU2. That is more than just a screen replacement. That is an updated CPU as well.
That's good to know. I'm selling the car, so I don't care about a new MCU2. I just want to get rid of this thing before something else breaks. Maybe they will just sell me the screen and I will have my own mechanic install it. It only has 37k, never damaged, never smoked in. Pearl White Black Interior $143,560.00 Window Sticker. I'm 69 and don't need to go 0-60 in 2.2 sec. I ordered a 3 motor Cybertruck but going with the new Escalade that has a 37" curved screen that is OLED and won't leak. If I don't sell this P90D by the time the Escalade comes in the Tesla will be going to the Orlando Auto Auction.

• Love
I hope GM has sorted out their other issues. My nearly 100k Z06 had to go to the shop several times for torque converter/trans issues and never was fixed, just a band-aid applied. Does any other brands of the 22 cars you own fix items for free out of warranty?
Actually, yes. But only after the Federal Government (NTSB) forced them to with a recall which appears to be in the works with this issue. I would think that TESLA would recognize that they made a mistake when they "cheaped out" with this less than industrial grade screens. There is even mention of this issue in Elon Musks approved biography. When you make a mistake of this magnitude, you should do the right thing. People vote with their feet. I paid $143,560.00 cash. I had to earn around $300k before taxes to buy it. Fool Me Once...

• Love
That's good to know. I'm selling the car, so I don't care about a new MCU2. I just want to get rid of this thing before something else breaks. Maybe they will just sell me the screen and I will have my own mechanic install it. It only has 37k, never damaged, never smoked in. Pearl White Black Interior $143,560.00 Window Sticker. I'm 69 and don't need to go 0-60 in 2.2 sec. I ordered a 3 motor Cybertruck but going with the new Escalade that has a 37" curved screen that is OLED and won't leak. If I don't sell this P90D by the time the Escalade comes in the Tesla will be going to the Orlando Auto Auction.

Enjoy your Escalade.

• Funny
Reactions: rickyjb