Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Daily" on older firmware was 93%. I think I have the Tesla REST API datalogging history to prove that...

265 Rated Miles is standard for the 85 kWh pack. My S85 came in spot on 265 on a 100% charge I did when it was nearly new, and I got around 240 @ 90% at that time.

EDIT: Although at that time, they only had two charging options: Trip (100%) and Daily (??? %) so I can't be sure about my early 90% numbers.

Yes, it could be just noise. However my car usually doesn't vary that much day to day. I might see +/- 3 miles between summer and winter, but usually less. Like I said, not sure if there is really any actual degradation going on or if this is more of just a range calc fluctuation. But it is definitely trending downward. Not getting any miles back. That may change when I do another road trip which usually consists of a range charge or two plus a drive from full to empty. If I see any fluctuations, usually it's after a trip like that, and usually I get an improvement in range. Just making note of it. We will see if I ever see 184-185 @90% again. Considering I have almost 54K on the car, I am pretty happy with 182 rated range @90%.

Follow up:

Ok so I guess I am back at 183 rated miles @90% (range mode off). Have been for a few weeks now. So a little bit of fluctuation I guess. Will I see 184 again? I will update if I do. Haven't done any battery calibration runs in a while...

@cinergi - Yours seems to be holding up fairly well. The slip from 240-233 over just 2 months would have me concerned, however. Did you deep cycle the pack at all? It's well known that deep cycling causes it to recalibrate and thus it is not uncommon to lose/add a couple miles upon the next charge cycle.

@cinergi - Yours seems to be holding up fairly well. The slip from 240-233 over just 2 months would have me concerned, however. Did you deep cycle the pack at all? It's well known that deep cycling causes it to recalibrate and thus it is not uncommon to lose/add a couple miles upon the next charge cycle.

I deep cycle it regularly enough to know that the recent loss is abnormal. I've been in the 219-220 range for 90% in the past -- which changed with firmware. So who knows, really ... I can say that I should actually get 260 (extrapolated from driving 200) miles if I average 290 whpm (in other words, the numbers add up).

Two weeks in and my 90D is only charging to 252 rated miles at 90%, down from 256. Not sure if it's just a bug in the charge limit setting or something about my driving/charging habits, but I won't stress over it too much.

Not actual degredation, unless you've been leaving it at 100% all the time. If you are charging daily to less than 90%, that probably explains it.

I charge 70/80% most days and 90 only when I need it. I do not observe a rapid decline in rated range. 4 miles in 2 weeks seems excessive.

Agree for 70/80%, but if he was only charging to 50% or something I could see 4 miles in 2 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I have my daily charge limit set to 90%. Did three range charges before three big trips, but otherwise I don't drive more than 50 miles a day. Maybe I need to run the battery a bit lower more often?

I wouldn't get too concerned yet. After your range charge, how long was the car sitting at 100%? How deeply was the battery discharged for those trips, and how low do you typically drive the battery down each day?

I'd recommend giving it a few weeks to see how it changes.

Agree for 70/80%, but if he was only charging to 50% or something I could see 4 miles in 2 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't get too concerned yet. After your range charge, how long was the car sitting at 100%? How deeply was the battery discharged for those trips, and how low do you typically drive the battery down each day?

I'd recommend giving it a few weeks to see how it changes.

Never let it sit longer than 45 minutes to an hour after a range charge, as far as I could tell. Usually never went below 100 rated miles during most of the trips, although I did get it down to 60 at one point. Typical daily driving never sees it going below 200-220. I'll keep an eye on it and report back in a month or so, thanks!

Never let it sit longer than 45 minutes to an hour after a range charge, as far as I could tell. Usually never went below 100 rated miles during most of the trips, although I did get it down to 60 at one point. Typical daily driving never sees it going below 200-220. I'll keep an eye on it and report back in a month or so, thanks!

My car has sat at range charge for a couple of days before - and as noted upthread, with seemingly little impact. I try not to do that, but I don't think twice about initiating the range charge at 8 am and departing any time in the late afternoon to early evening.

My car has sat at range charge for a couple of days before - and as noted upthread, with seemingly little impact. I try not to do that, but I don't think twice about initiating the range charge at 8 am and departing any time in the late afternoon to early evening.

That's a relief to hear! Everything I've read about range charging makes it seem like leaving your car at 100% for too long will make your battery die, car explode, or prompt Elon Musk to fly over and slap you across the face while yelling about proper charging etiquette.

I'll keep an eye on the battery meter anyway. Just in case.