Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the same thing. I originally did it because I was obsessing too much over the Rated Range numbers constantly in my face. I relaxed significantly after switching to %.

This is when it occurred to me that putting range numbers on a fuel gauge makes no sense. I have never seen an ICE car's gas gauge calibrated in miles / kms based on it's EPA combined fuel efficiency rating... which is exactly what putting the Rated number on the Model S is doing. You will likely never achieve that number in "real life" driving. It makes more sense to me to have my "fuel gauge" calibrated on a scale of 0 to 100% rather than 0 to 265 miles (or whatever your Rated number is). If I want to know how far I can really go, I flip open the Energy App on the 17' screen and look at the projection there based on my real time, actual conditions driving.

+1 to MrKnox I changed to % after about 3 weeks of ownership as well. My daily commute each way takes me any where from 18-22% depending on weather traffic and speed. % seems to make much more sense to me than "rated maybe not gonna happen miles)

I did the same thing. I originally did it because I was obsessing too much over the Rated Range numbers constantly in my face. I relaxed significantly after switching to %.

This is when it occurred to me that putting range numbers on a fuel gauge makes no sense. I have never seen an ICE car's gas gauge calibrated in miles / kms based on it's EPA combined fuel efficiency rating... which is exactly what putting the Rated number on the Model S is doing. You will likely never achieve that number in "real life" driving. It makes more sense to me to have my "fuel gauge" calibrated on a scale of 0 to 100% rather than 0 to 265 miles (or whatever your Rated number is). If I want to know how far I can really go, I flip open the Energy App on the 17' screen and look at the projection there based on my real time, actual conditions driving.

I recognize that it's effectively what they're doing, but it's an easier mental calculation for me to take the rated miles remaining and adjust -/+ (usually minus) based on what my 30-mile Wh/mi average is, versus trying to recall how many miles (roughly) 1% of the battery gives me. When I'm driving, I think in miles. Many times I don't need to know (when I'm driving locally), but on a trip I want to think in miles.

it's like my laptop - it's great that it tells me I'm at 47% of battery, but when I'm working on a plane I want to know how much time that will buy me. So having the power meter tell me that I have 2 hours and 18 minutes left is useful (even though I know it probably won't make 2 hours, 18 minutes)...

it's like my laptop - it's great that it tells me I'm at 47% of battery, but when I'm working on a plane I want to know how much time that will buy me. So having the power meter tell me that I have 2 hours and 18 minutes left is useful (even though I know it probably won't make 2 hours, 18 minutes)...
Right. It doesn't matter so much for an ICE car because of the number of gas stations and the range of an ICE car. For an EV I want to know miles remaining. I'll soon know the ratio between miles remaining and my normal driving style and will be able to make adjustments when conditions differ.

Interesting occurrence for me today. I've been gone a few weeks, so hadn't charged since November 30th. Charged to 90% last night, and my phone app notification reported that it charged to 240 rated miles. Cool, I'm thinking, I've gained back the 1 rated mile I lost. When I unplugged this morning, the car actually reported 243 rated miles. I'm still on 2.7.56 firmware, so that can't be it. Not sure what to think, but I'm not going to complain. I guess I'll have to do a range charge soon just to see if it was a complete fluke.

As of today my P85D, produces Dec 20, 2014 had 14,000 miles:
my 90% today is 227 miles rated.mIt was 225 when I took delivery.
I passed 16000 miles today so I checked 90% again. 226 today. Given the SOC variations with 1% as well as calibration errors I suspect all of mine are within margin of error and deflect no material
chsnge in the year since it was manufactured.

After the interesting results from my last 90% charge, I did a range charge last night. I was back to 265 rated miles on my classic S 85, which now has just over 22,800 miles. This is the first time in nearly a year that it went all the way back of to my original rated range. I've looked at FlasherZ's data regarding seasonality, but here on Maui the difference between winter temps (about 81 degrees F) and summer (about 89 degrees F) is minimal. One possibility is that I've been mostly off-island for the last 3 months, so I've only put about 500 miles on it during those 3 months, and it has sat a lot unplugged.

@apacheguy, I get 320 kWh of peak power at every SOC I've "punched it" at, which has ranged from 90% to 40% in the last week.

@apacheguy, I get 320 kWh of peak power at every SOC I've "punched it" at, which has ranged from 90% to 40% in the last week.

There's a bit of a distinction here. The display may show 320 on the logarithmic scale, but there's not enough resolution to say that you've "gotten" 320 kWh of power.

Below 20% SOC, the maximum I've seen on my car is 300 kW, on the nose.
At 25-35% SOC, the maximum I've seen on my car is 321 kW.
At 45-55% SOC, the maximum I've seen on my car is 336 kW.
At 85-90% SOC, the maximum I've seen on my car is 368 kW.
At 95-100% SOC, the maximum I've seen on my car is 376 kW.

So there is a difference at various SOC's - it's just that the display doesn't show it to you with any accuracy.

(P85 - all reported by the streaming API.)

There's a bit of a distinction here. The display may show 320 on the logarithmic scale, but there's not enough resolution to say that you've "gotten" 320 kWh of power.

Below 20% SOC, the maximum I've seen on my car is 300 kW, on the nose.
At 25-35% SOC, the maximum I've seen on my car is 321 kW.
At 45-55% SOC, the maximum I've seen on my car is 336 kW.
At 85-90% SOC, the maximum I've seen on my car is 368 kW.
At 95-100% SOC, the maximum I've seen on my car is 376 kW.

So there is a difference at various SOC's - it's just that the display doesn't show it to you with any accuracy.

Right, you must use the API. And, obviously, P85s will have different values than S85s. I have an S85.

Side note: I've been consistently reading 305-310 kW in the 70-80% range. This past weekend, I had just pulled out of a SpC with 77% SOC. I floored it and measured 326 kW. Point being that this measurement is highly sensitive to pack temperature (since cell resistance drops as it gets warmer). So I'm going to take back what I said about peak power being the preferable method to test for degradation. Unless you control for pack temp, this method is likely to yield widely varying results. Ambient temps were roughly equivalent (50-60 F range), but the pack was much warmer than ambient due to supercharging.

Must be the California cold weathers or something. My 70D at 90% used to hover around +/- 215. After 7200 miles on them, it's been hovering +/- 204.....

98% charge gave me 228 the other day.

My 70D, delivered in June, gets a 90% charge at 204-205 miles. I have 21000 miles on it, so the drop appears to correlate more to time than to mileage. But these are just two data points.

My 70D, delivered in June, gets a 90% charge at 204-205 miles. I have 21000 miles on it, so the drop appears to correlate more to time than to mileage. But these are just two data points.

Maybe it is time, and the algo determining how you drive. I drive more city miles here in Chicago but it is definitely colder (although not that cold yet) that CA.

I was worried mine was low, but at 90% I'm usually getting 211 miles, 210 miles today for first time. That was 216 a while back when newer/warmer and on v6. I can live with 210 miles at 90% but don't want it to keep dropping too fast! ;-) Got mine last June 2015.