Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your S 75 range at 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 75
100% 223
90% 201

120k miles
I do slow charge the battery sometimes when I know I am home the next day or over the weekends it is good for lithium ions for its cell balancing. 120V 5A ~2 miles per hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raroia
Well Its all battery chemistry. I design many Embedded HW products using lithium ion batteries. so i thought i apply some ere
Below are the steps I have taken for my S and will take for my new X to retain battery health to 90% good health.
1. My low is never below 30% and high never above 80% except long trips
2. I charge overnight at a very slow rate(120V -5A) ~12 hrs is more than enough for me for my one day of max ~50-60 miles of drive.
This is called trickle charge to maintain the heat in the battery and in a long run the resistance of the battery does not increase
3. Never accelerate when below 40% battery and not for longer periods max -2 to 3 seconds
4. I hardly supercharge only in trips
5. Also avoid keeping higher >50% battery charged in the car for a longer periods of time which will increase the batteries internal resistance hence degrade the battery faster,

Well Its all battery chemistry. I design many Embedded HW products using lithium ion batteries. so i thought i apply some ere
Below are the steps I have taken for my S and will take for my new X to retain battery health to 90% good health.
1. My low is never below 30% and high never above 80% except long trips
2. I charge overnight at a very slow rate(120V -5A) ~12 hrs is more than enough for me for my one day of max ~50-60 miles of drive.
This is called trickle charge to maintain the heat in the battery and in a long run the resistance of the battery does not increase
3. Never accelerate when below 40% battery and not for longer periods max -2 to 3 seconds
4. I hardly supercharge only in trips
5. Also avoid keeping higher >50% battery charged in the car for a longer periods of time which will increase the batteries internal resistance hence degrade the battery faster,
I have an 85D, not a 75D, but I have just under 239k miles on the car and my commute requires a 90% charge, so I'm usually charging to 90%. Approximately 40% of my lifetime charging has been at Super Chargers. I'm at 88.5% of my original battery capacity. I used to worry about Supercharging, but I have no choice. After driving almost a quarter of a million miles in this car, it's not looking like the Supercharging has affected it much.

Reactions: Raroia
I have an 85D, not a 75D, but I have just under 239k miles on the car and my commute requires a 90% charge, so I'm usually charging to 90%. Approximately 40% of my lifetime charging has been at Super Chargers. I'm at 88.5% of my original battery capacity. I used to worry about Supercharging, but I have no choice. After driving almost a quarter of a million miles in this car, it's not looking like the Supercharging has affected it much.
Thats because you are charging and discharging it immediately the next day which is the best for the battery. Charging and keeping it for a long time is not good.

Do you have a link or data that supports this statement? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks
There’s nothing at all to support this idea. Charging a 75-100kwh battery at 600 watts (120v x 5a) for “battery health” reasons is utterly absurd. It’s also ridiculously inefficient - the car uses half of that energy (~300w) just to power all of the computers and circuitry necessary to manage charging - so 50% of the energy you’re putting into the car is going to waste.

There’s nothing at all to support this idea. Charging a 75-100kwh battery at 600 watts (120v x 5a) for “battery health” reasons is utterly absurd. It’s also ridiculously inefficient - the car uses half of that energy (~300w) just to power all of the computers and circuitry necessary to manage charging - so 50% of the energy you’re putting into the car is going to waste.
Thats what I thought as well. Sometimes folks just make stuff up for no valid reason.

Thats what I thought as well. Sometimes folks just make stuff up for no valid reason.
And sometimes people misapply one analog for another. I mean we've all heard how our Tesla battery packs are useless after 5 years because the Li-ion batteries in iPhone degrade by 16% over 5 years under heavy usage so that must be the same thing. People are free to exercise whatever charging behavior they choose, but I'm glad there are people here who will share an idea and that others will chime in with more accurate information.

And sometimes people misapply one analog for another. I mean we've all heard how our Tesla battery packs are useless after 5 years because the Li-ion batteries in iPhone degrade by 16% over 5 years under heavy usage so that must be the same thing. People are free to exercise whatever charging behavior they choose, but I'm glad there are people here who will share an idea and that others will chime in with more accurate information.
Lol 5 years! people are still using the packs for more than 8-10 yrs.
Well i have designed products that are shipping world wide since 10 yrs now though I haven't worked on tesla batteries.
I said continuous use of fast charging will have an impact on the life of the lithium battery. The cycle life of lithium batteries is certain. When using slow charging, the cycle life of the battery can usually reach more than 3,000 times. However, if it is always fast charging, the cycle life will be shortened to about a thousand times, or even lower.
it is most appropriate to charge when the remaining power is about 20%-30%.
I guess some people need to educate themselves first. trickle charge is working for me on both my S and X and will do same on my upcoming Plaid X too for extending the battery life. Though i have free supercharging for life on S lol.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
I said continuous use of fast charging will have an impact on the life of the lithium battery. The cycle life of lithium batteries is certain. When using slow charging, the cycle life of the battery can usually reach more than 3,000 times. However, if it is always fast charging, the cycle life will be shortened to about a thousand times, or even lower.
it is most appropriate to charge when the remaining power is about 20%-30%.
I guess some people need to educate themselves first. trickle charge is working for me on both my S and X and will do same on my upcoming Plaid X too for extending the battery life.
But you are using vague words like "fast" and "slow" without understanding the parameters or limitations of those, and then making big leaps of assumption of what power levels those mean. The concept of slower charging being beneficial is mostly right but not helpful to an infinite degree to tiny, minuscule power levels. I saw a paper on this several years ago, looking at long term degradation by power levels. It reached an inverse effect eventually at VERY low power levels, where it became more damaging again.

This is because a battery being in the state of recharging is a bit damaging--more so than sitting at rest or slightly discharging. So by turning the power level down so incredibly low, you are massively increasing the amount of time that the battery is in that recharging state, accumulating damage.

So there is a big sweet spot area, where you recharge at a "not fast" speed, but you do get it over with in a reasonable amount of time, so you don't spend way too long in that damaging recharging state.

• Love
Reactions: AjrUleZ and ucmndd
When using slow charging, the cycle life of the battery can usually reach more than 3,000 times. However, if it is always fast charging, the cycle life will be shortened to about a thousand times, or even lower.
As @Rocky_H said, “fast” and “slow” are useless terms unless you’re expressing power proportionate to battery capacity (i.e. “C” rate).

An iPhone 15 pro with a 12.7wh battery charging at 30 watts is charging at ~2.3 C. Roughly equivalent to a 100kwh battery supercharging at 230kw.

A 100kwh Tesla battery charging at 300 watts like you apparently do is charging at 0.003 C.

You’re charging your Tesla battery 766 times slower than a fast-charging iPhone. 131 times slower than an iPhone charging at a pokey 5 watts.

There is no available science or data to support that habit. The only thing you’re doing is wasting a bunch of energy keeping the car powered on for far longer than it needs to be.

Last edited:
As @Rocky_H said, “fast” and “slow” are useless terms unless you’re expressing power proportionate to battery capacity (i.e. “C” rate).

An iPhone 15 pro with a 12.7wh battery charging at 30 watts is charging at ~2.3 C. Roughly equivalent to a 100kwh battery supercharging at 230kw.

A 100kwh Tesla battery charging at 300 watts like you apparently do is charging at 0.003 C.

You’re charging your Tesla battery 766 times slower than a fast-charging iPhone. 131 times slower than an iPhone charging at a pokey 5 watts.

There is no available science or data to support that habit. The only thing you’re doing is wasting a bunch of energy keeping the car powered on for far longer than it needs to be.
Well this article needs to be reported..can you do it on my behalf lol

But you are using vague words like "fast" and "slow" without understanding the parameters or limitations of those, and then making big leaps of assumption of what power levels those mean. The concept of slower charging being beneficial is mostly right but not helpful to an infinite degree to tiny, minuscule power levels. I saw a paper on this several years ago, looking at long term degradation by power levels. It reached an inverse effect eventually at VERY low power levels, where it became more damaging again.

This is because a battery being in the state of recharging is a bit damaging--more so than sitting at rest or slightly discharging. So by turning the power level down so incredibly low, you are massively increasing the amount of time that the battery is in that recharging state, accumulating damage.

So there is a big sweet spot area, where you recharge at a "not fast" speed, but you do get it over with in a reasonable amount of time, so you don't spend way too long in that damaging recharging state.
Well let.me.find that sweet spot hopefully one day. But yea try trickle charge not full battery charge but just overnight

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Well let.me.find that sweet spot hopefully one day. But yea try trickle charge not full battery charge but just overnight
That sweet spot is very broad and is not hard to find. It's called "AC charging". Any of these levels of 240V charging at home, from 80A to 48A to 32A or whatever are all very "slow" charging from the battery's perspective, and are avoiding the "fast" charging kinds of damage that people are concerned with. But this thing you're talking about of turning the amps down as low as possible so that the car has to be charging almost around the clock, twenty-some hours a day isn't helping any more.

change of topic here, but was wondering why the "fleet" range on TeslaFi for 75D of my model year around my mileage of 85k miles have a significantly higher range than me at around 253 miles. I find this kind of hard to believe as they were originally 259 miles so only about 2% degradation across many vehicles?