Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will/does Tesla offer CPO M3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
When will/does Tesla offer CPO M3s? I'd be happy to see demo inventory online too..

e.g. This guy traded For The Model 3 Performance - Regret Buying Mid-Range

How Much Did All Of This Cost? -
bought the Model 3 Mid-Range in November 2018. $46,000 base price. - $2,500 red paint option, $1,500 19” wheel option, and $1,200 delivery. Total: $51,200 - $7,500 tax credit. Actual Total: $43,700 - The trade-in value of the Mid-Range was $43,200. only A $500 loss.

The $7,500 tax credit can only be applied to the first buyer, so it instantly loses this much in value. Essentially, buying used means getting the tax credit up front. -

Ibought the Model 3 Performance in December 2018. $64,000 base price. - $2,500 red paint option, and $1,200 for delivery. Total: $67,700 - $7,500 tax credit. Actual Total: $60,200 - Total Cost To Upgrade To Model 3 Performance: $17,000

Well, there's no "CPO" program technically speaking. But, they do still have a used inventory that they sell through, which is basically same thing to a lesser degree regarding inspections.

I would imagine Tesla will start selling used 3's in about 2 to 3 years time from when they first started delivering the 3's, mostly from lease returns.
And in those calculations above, don't you need to factor in sales taxes?

As the guy in the video mentions, it's hard not to get the next fastest model. After driving a large 7-seater X with ludicrous, I don't know if I could drive a slower car, even if it's the P3D, lol. Have to hand it to Tesla for making a SUV faster than smaller "sports" cars.

I would imagine Tesla will start selling used 3's in about 2 to 3 years time from when they first started delivering the 3's, mostly from lease returns.
I think a more accurate way to say it would be that Tesla will probably start selling CPO Model 3s 2-3 years after they start leasing them, which hasn't happened yet. And as per their Q4 earning call, probably won't start for a while.

When will/does Tesla offer CPO M3s? I'd be happy to see demo inventory online too..

e.g. This guy traded For The Model 3 Performance - Regret Buying Mid-Range

How Much Did All Of This Cost? -
bought the Model 3 Mid-Range in November 2018. $46,000 base price. - $2,500 red paint option, $1,500 19” wheel option, and $1,200 delivery. Total: $51,200 - $7,500 tax credit. Actual Total: $43,700 - The trade-in value of the Mid-Range was $43,200. only A $500 loss.

The $7,500 tax credit can only be applied to the first buyer, so it instantly loses this much in value. Essentially, buying used means getting the tax credit up front. -

Ibought the Model 3 Performance in December 2018. $64,000 base price. - $2,500 red paint option, and $1,200 for delivery. Total: $67,700 - $7,500 tax credit. Actual Total: $60,200 - Total Cost To Upgrade To Model 3 Performance: $17,000
This is a misleading calculation because it doesn't take into account tax that was paid on the mid range, nor the tax that had to be paid on the performance model.

i guess a better question is what is Tesla doing with their trade ins or demos? or are they too few

Tesla has a used (as is condition not CPO) inventory on their website. If they don’t list it there, users have reported Tesla will match a Carmax offer on a vehicle they trade in. So I believe they hand the cars off to a similar third party or auction them off.