Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where’s the Map update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ug I want it too, still on 2018.6.1!
Be careful what you wish for ... it may co true ...

image000000.jpg

This is from yesterday - the 405 fwy exit in Fountain Valley heading to look at RV's - not that anyone can tell by looking at our map screen (sigh).
No big deal- right? Just pull over AGAIN, hit the 2 steering wheel rollers AGAIN, wait for the reset AGAIN, and restart your journry. Or, back to the sc AGAIN.

The update in question on this post is actually for the navigation and IC map display, so that isn't actually relevant. Apparently that happens sometimes on the MCU with the separate update to MCU vector maps.
This is from yesterday - the 405 fwy exit in Fountain Valley heading to look at RV's - not that anyone can tell by looking at our map screen (sigh).
No big deal- right? Just pull over AGAIN, hit the 2 steering wheel rollers AGAIN, wait for the reset AGAIN, and restart your journry. Or, back to the sc AGAIN.
You don't need to pull over to do the 2 wheel reset unless you have MCU2 and are concerned about driving with no IC. Also, in case it's helpful for future incidents, I've only had the issue you're showing once in spite of having had vector maps for several weeks, and when I had that issue, new data rolled onto the screen as I continued my drive, so even a reset may not be necessary.

View attachment 317302

IMG_8721.JPGIMG_8722.JPGIMG_8723.JPG

Yup.

We saw this on a road trip over the weekend, and a reboot corrected the problem.

Sometimes Tesla has problems with their map server - preventing any map fragments from downloading. And when that happens, there's nothing we can do in the car to correct the problem.

The recent issues appears to be a problem with the onboard software - and hopefully something they'll fix in an upcoming update.

I had map update failure Friday, and I called it in. Rebooting got it back, but this is the second MCU failure I’ve had in the last two weeks.
only twice? Man! We are jealous ! Who do I need to know to have that kind of good luck.
Yea this has been ongoing for several days now, but since the last post (crossing fingers) all has been ok. I was wondering if this whole scenario might be deliberate, hoping folks would jump to / pay for the MCU 3 upgrade
:D

on top of the bugs you guys have pointed out, my traffic data has been a bit flakey too. Maybe that's nothing new, but it is for me...

Flakey is an understatement. I didn't even realize I got the new map update until 2 things happened.

1. I keep the map on the bottom half usually. Something kept bugging me as I couldn't see the red arrow out of the corner of my eye. Turns out they moved the red arrow maybe an inch lower. Makes sense, allows you to see more road ahead for traffic anticipation etc. But this changed my field of view. Now I'm flipping the top and bottom trying to figure out which field of view is more important - my rear camera or my maps.

2. On a commute home I thought SWEET! No traffic. Wrong. Bumper to bumper traffic in 3 lanes on the highway; nothing but green on the map. This makes the change above kind of pointless if you can't anticipate traffic and reroute. It's been a week of this now and the traffic indicators were definitely better before.

Like all things Tesla, I'm sure this will improve with time. But boy does it stink right now...

Not sure what the cause is, but the maps has been running better as of late. Traffic data is a bit flakey. But, the maps are solid and I don't see the periodic blank-outs. Especially the nav on the instrument cluster. Any time it had chose to do a heavy zoom in it would blank-out. But not anymore. It zooms in real tight and shows a lot of detail.

2. On a commute home I thought SWEET! No traffic. Wrong. Bumper to bumper traffic in 3 lanes on the highway; nothing but green on the map. This makes the change above kind of pointless if you can't anticipate traffic and reroute. It's been a week of this now and the traffic indicators were definitely better before.

I learned in another thread that a workaround for this is to turn off the traffic display and turn it back on. I now routinely do this when I start driving. There's definitely a bug here that Tesla needs to fix (in some release after 2018.26), but at least there's something as users we can do to get around it.

Bruce.

Reactions: chillaban
I learned in another thread that a workaround for this is to turn off the traffic display and turn it back on. I now routinely do this when I start driving. There's definitely a bug here that Tesla needs to fix (in some release after 2018.26), but at least there's something as users we can do to get around it.

Bruce.
That’s exactly what I do too.

But FWIW, I have the same habit in Waze — it is sometimes slow at re-routing or updating traffic/incident displays, so every few minutes I’ll toggle the “alternate routes” display and choose the fastest route again.

But yeah, the Tesla stale traffic is especially egregious. Sometimes it seems hours out of date, while at worst Waze is minutes out of date.

Reactions: bmah