Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which method worked for you to reduce booming?

Which method was most effective at reducing the booming / pressure in your Model Y?

• Adjusted bumper stops

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Added hard plastic bumper stops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Inserted vinyl tubing into hatch seals

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Noise dampening material over wheel arches

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Nothing has worked, still very boomy

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adjusted bump stops using paper envelope BUT....adjusted them three turns further down. Hatch is much quieter now over bumps and rough road surfaces. I like bass but only when its coming from the speakers.

Now I am just trying to tackle the wind noise on the driver rear door. Gotta love good old fashion Tesla quality.

Adjusted bump stops using paper envelope BUT....adjusted them three turns further down. Hatch is much quieter now over bumps and rough road surfaces. I like bass but only when its coming from the speakers.

Now I am just trying to tackle the wind noise on the driver rear door. Gotta love good old fashion Tesla quality.
Do you have a video of the noise?

Pressure and booming are two distinct issues. They can have two distinct causes. I suspect pressure is usually because the car is not sealed around the hatch. Adjusting the stops can help with that. Booming may be coming from the hatch, so adjusting the stops can also help with that problem. But adjusting the stops didn't help me with the booming as much as adding butyl and foam above and around the rear wheel wells did.

On my car (March 2022 build, MYP), pressure buffeting was completely solved using a combination of vinyl tubing and rigid hatch stops.

Low frequency booming persists, even after switching from 21" to 19" wheels/tires and installing MPP Comfort coilovers. The booming is less noticeable when the cargo area is full, which makes long road trips more tolerable than in-town jaunts.