Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Phone Do You Use As A Key?

Which Phone Do You Use As A Key?

• Android - it works 100%

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • Android - it works most of the time

Votes: 30 14.2%
  • Android - it’s not very reliable

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • iPhone - it works 100%

Votes: 104 49.3%
  • iPhone - it works most of the time

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • iPhone - it’s not very reliable

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I use the keycard all the time

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I use the Tesla key fob

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I initially had a WileyFox Swift2 which ran 8 but then I forced 9 onto it as some apps wouldn't work on 8. I always had a problem opening the doors from a sleep state which left me standing in the rain for an extra minute or so, on a few occasions. I always had to approach slowly to give a few more seconds for the phone to communicate with the car.
I was in the point of buying a fob. Then after the phone started corrupting the memory card regularly I decided on getting a new phone instead, a Samsung A70! Great decision! Car opens 1st time every time no matter how fast I approach.. I think the Samsung running 10, has a greater or more powerful range on the bluetooth.

I know the whole world is truly phone-addicted and dependent but am staggered to see fob users so low ! It looks expensive as an “accessory” but I thought it was great value for a key which would normally cost £300+ for previous cars and feels easier to me for operating all the convenience functions. I haven’t registered my phone with the car at all ....

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
I'm one of the 7 Fob only users and fully agree with your post.
I like the double-press on the front of the fob to open the frunk and double-press on the back for the boot - both open fully using replaced gas struts. Nice simple operation.

I have a Android phone which has the Tesla App of course but, as yet, not set the phone as a key.
I do keep a spare keycard in the "credit card" pouch of the phone for emergencies.

I know the whole world is truly phone-addicted and dependent but am staggered to see fob users so low ! It looks expensive as an “accessory” but I thought it was great value for a key which would normally cost £300+ for previous cars and feels easier to me for operating all the convenience functions. I haven’t registered my phone with the car at all ....

I wholeheartedly agree. My phone is very rarely turned on at home, as I don't use it there at all. Until I got the Tesla my phone always lived, turned off and fully charged, in the glove box of my car, for emergency use. I don't think anyone knows my mobile number, other than my old bank who had it as their daft attempt at doing 2FA (we moved our accounts to a bank that doesn't have such an unworkable requirement).

I do try to remember to turn my phone on when going out now, but only to try and ensure that the NHS app can work. Even then I forget sometimes, like yesterday, when I arrived at the airfield, went to scan the QR code and realised my phone was still turned off. We both have the Tesla app installed, but really only use it to precondition the car when out and about. To connect to the car at home I repurposed an ancient Sony Xperia tablet, by fixing it on the wall of my study, permanently powered. The bigger screen on that makes it easier for me to do things like check for updates, precondition the car before going out, etc.

Even then I miss the instant on effect of being able to precondition the car from the key fob. Having to wait for the app to connect, the car to wake up, then be able to turn on preconditioning is a bit of a PITA, when I've had years of just pressing a fob button from inside the house and have the car do this.

The fob is the quickest way of opening the frunk, trunk and charge port by far, and it's a lot easier to just press that, as, apart from anything else, you can do it by feel, no need to look at a screen first. I have thought of making a simple one-button remote just to turn on preconditioning quickly. It should be possible to do this with a WiFi connected device like a Dash Button, something that wakes up when a button is pressed, connects to the Tesla API, authenticates, turns on preconditioning, gets confirmation it's on, then shuts down until the next button press. Might be a winter project.

I get the impression @Glan gluaisne that you have an automatic toast-buttering machine made out of an Alexa and an original Mouse Trap game, linked to a timed circuit with solar power doing the toasting ? ;)

I did build an electrically operated humane mouse trap last year. It's a walk-the-plank design, baited with peanut butter, that has an optical sensor towards the end. When a mouse triggers the sensor a latch releases the plank, so it pivots downwards and sends the mouse down a chute to a lidded bucket below. A geared motor resets the plank, ready for the next mouse.

I installed it in the loft above the garage, where it caught 4 mice the first night I used it. They were relocated a mile or so away. I found early on that if you live trap mice you need to release them a long way away, otherwise they just make their way back.

The latest iteration of the trap will have an electronic counter, so I can see how many times the trap has activated without checking the bucket. Probably need to install it again soon, as the mice tend to invade the garage as soon as the weather starts to get a bit cooler.

Reactions: Neilio
Twice this fortnight I've gone to the car and the android key hasn't worked. Not sure if its cos the care is in deep sleep, having sat underground for a couple of weeks or what but have had to pull our phone and open app

Had a weird one with the phone key yesterday. Went outside to unplug, was raining. Of course phone key didn't work. Toggle bluetooth off and on - still doesn't work. Weird. Try opening Tesla app - crashes back to home screen after a second. That's weird too. Went back inside, restarted phone. Now Tesla app opens but it no longer thinks it's a Bluetooth key at all; it has that text set up your phone to use it as a key. What?! Try remote unlock using the app' because I can't be assed pairing it right now and it fails to connect. Is this thing using Microsoft systems or something?
Gave up and used the keycard.
One of the worst things about the car.
/rant and thanks!

Reactions: Roy W.
For Android Users....

Android 9 introduced aggressive battery optimisation for most apps by default. If your Tesla app takes a while to connect to the car or sometimes fails, you may want to try forcing the app to stay awake, by not optimising it.

1. Open Settings
  2. Search for 'Optimise Battery Usage'
  3. Click 'Optimise Battery Usage' in the Special Access Menu
  4. Change 'Apps Not Optimised' to 'All'
  5. Search or scroll for Tesla
  6. Ensure the toggle is off
Hope this may help someone.
I wanted to thank you. I now this is from 2 years ago, but I've been having issues and this may resolve them. THANK YOU!