TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

White Lies Matter?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SDRick, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDRick

SDRick Member

I am thoroughly enjoying my Tesla, but have become somewhat conflicted. One of my very favorite things of ownership, or even one of my favorite things overall, is to offer rides to those who have not experienced Tesla. Even sweeter when the rider is a motor-head. As many of us here, I am proud to be an ambassador providing rides and the promotion and "free" advertising, goodwill and fun that goes along with it.

Needless to say everyone is impressed with the acceleration torque and power. But now "Counter Gate" as entered the mix. Not only has my enthusiasm for test drives waned given we are now apparently penalized, risking permanent reduction in power, but there is also ethics to consider.

When talking Tesla, does one avoid the subject or gloss over this apparent shortcoming or go full disclosure about this and other exaggerations?

Whatever the right answer is, demo rides will not be as sweet as when ignorance was bliss.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 2
  2. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Excuse my ignorance as I have not read all the threads how are they penalizing you for launching?

3. oktane

oktane Active Member

Yes. All of my male coworkers, friends, relatives want to feel the amazing 2.5sec 0-60, but I am very reluctant to do it now, fearing Tesla will reduce the everyday driving performance of my car if I do so more than 25 times total. I read possibly that the Ludicrous cars don't have such a limitation, but I'd rather not be the one to find out my $155,000 car drives only as quickly as a $70,000 car due to secret punishment by Tesla.

• Like x 3
  4. SDRick

SDRick Member

• Like x 1
  5. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

It would be nice if Tesla added a launch-mode supercap (or something else) to eliminate this in future performance version vehicles.

Check this story for the details.

6. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

All of the P cars have a permanent lifetime limit on performance. Check out the listed thread.

• Informative x 1
  7. oktane

oktane Active Member

Are there any limits if I just mash the accelerator pedal for me dead stop without going through a launch mode procedure?

8. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Yes, apparently. Read the new disclaimers on the Tesla website.

9. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

This

Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicle's components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.

• Informative x 1
  10. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

The workaround is just stomp the pedal to the floor. ;)

11. Corsair66

Corsair66 Member

Of course you should tell the full, unvarnished truth as you know it. Those accepting your generously offered rides can then make up their own minds about Tesla based on more and better information than they might have received elsewhere. It's simply a matter of honesty/ethics. Why wouldn't you tell them the complete truth?

• Like x 3
  12. Dennis87

Dennis87 Member

No its also a WOT (Wide open throtle) counter :(

• Informative x 1
  13. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Apparently those are counted against your total too. :(

• Informative x 1
  14. theslimshadyist

Surely there's a "reset period" and not just a running cumulative total? For example, after 1 year your "counter" resets back to 0?

15. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner / Current original Leaf owner

Actually from that article it's just the p90d. The p100d has no lifetime limit.

16. Az_Rael

Not that we know of, but solid information is scarce. Here are the counters: Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

From Tesla: "Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicle's components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience."

That seems like a very reasonable position for Tesla to take. I do agree that Tesla should have made that clear when they introduced Ludicrous mode, but they didn't. Now they have corrected their error. I am not going to fault Tesla for addressing the issue.
    I interpret your statement as saying that you would rather have the ability to do a full power Ludicrous mode launch an unlimited number of times and damage your car (while being "ignorant" that the damage is occurring) rather than have the understanding that, just like in any car, applying maximum power without limits will over time cause damage to your vehicle's drivetrain.

"Ignorance is bliss"? That is your preference? I prefer "Knowledge is power": I want to know that doing Ludicrous launches over and over again is going to accelerate the wear of some very expensive components of my car, components that I will have to pay for if they fail outside of the warranty period.

• Like x 1
  18. theslimshadyist

This is bull$hit. Now, I don't launch my car but I have romped down on my pedal about 7 times since taking delivery on 11/30. I will be really upset if my P100D turns into a 100D. :mad:

• Like x 1
  19. Az_Rael

It's not just full power launches that count against your total. Regular "spirited" pedal presses count too. So you can buy an L car, but maybe not drive it like an L car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.