Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Lies Matter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thoroughly enjoying my Tesla, but have become somewhat conflicted. One of my very favorite things of ownership, or even one of my favorite things overall, is to offer rides to those who have not experienced Tesla. Even sweeter when the rider is a motor-head. As many of us here, I am proud to be an ambassador providing rides and the promotion and "free" advertising, goodwill and fun that goes along with it.

Needless to say everyone is impressed with the acceleration torque and power. But now "Counter Gate" as entered the mix. Not only has my enthusiasm for test drives waned given we are now apparently penalized, risking permanent reduction in power, but there is also ethics to consider.

When talking Tesla, does one avoid the subject or gloss over this apparent shortcoming or go full disclosure about this and other exaggerations?

Whatever the right answer is, demo rides will not be as sweet as when ignorance was bliss.

Yes. All of my male coworkers, friends, relatives want to feel the amazing 2.5sec 0-60, but I am very reluctant to do it now, fearing Tesla will reduce the everyday driving performance of my car if I do so more than 25 times total. I read possibly that the Ludicrous cars don't have such a limitation, but I'd rather not be the one to find out my $155,000 car drives only as quickly as a $70,000 car due to secret punishment by Tesla.

This

Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicle's components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
From Tesla: "Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicle's components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience."

That seems like a very reasonable position for Tesla to take. I do agree that Tesla should have made that clear when they introduced Ludicrous mode, but they didn't. Now they have corrected their error. I am not going to fault Tesla for addressing the issue.
Whatever the right answer is, demo rides will not be as sweet as when ignorance was bliss.
I interpret your statement as saying that you would rather have the ability to do a full power Ludicrous mode launch an unlimited number of times and damage your car (while being "ignorant" that the damage is occurring) rather than have the understanding that, just like in any car, applying maximum power without limits will over time cause damage to your vehicle's drivetrain.

"Ignorance is bliss"? That is your preference? I prefer "Knowledge is power": I want to know that doing Ludicrous launches over and over again is going to accelerate the wear of some very expensive components of my car, components that I will have to pay for if they fail outside of the warranty period.

Reactions: 1 person
From Tesla: "Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicle's components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience."

That seems like a very reasonable position for Tesla to take. I do agree that Tesla should have made that clear when they introduced Ludicrous mode, but they didn't. Now they have corrected their error. I am not going to fault Tesla for addressing the issue.
I interpret your statement as saying that you would rather have the ability to do a full power Ludicrous mode launch an unlimited number of times and damage your car (while being "ignorant" that the damage is occurring) rather than have the understanding that, just like in any car, applying maximum power without limits will over time cause damage to your vehicle's drivetrain.

"Ignorance is bliss"? That is your preference? I prefer "Knowledge is power": I want to know that doing Ludicrous launches over and over again is going to accelerate the wear of some very expensive components of my car, components that I will have to pay for if they fail outside of the warranty period.

It's not just full power launches that count against your total. Regular "spirited" pedal presses count too. So you can buy an L car, but maybe not drive it like an L car.

Status
Not open for further replies.