Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who bought their car in March with basic autopilot for $2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is actually called “Autosteer”. :D What you got on your car, TACC and Autosteer, were standard features, not options. :rolleyes:

If that's the case I want my $3k back! ;-) At the particular time of my purchase it was optional and is listed as an option on my invoice. Roughly 30 or 45 days later it was added as standard.

FSD was another $5k on top of that at purchase and you had buy the first to add the second. So if you wanted FSD it was $8k.

I'm posting because I placed my order on March 14, 2019, and I took delivery of my car on March 30 -- the same delivery day as @wdewing999. At that time, Autopilot was fairly basic -- mostly just lane-keep assist and adaptive cruise control. Several features that had been part of Enhanced Autopilot a few months earlier had been moved into the FSD package by the time I bought my car. These include automated lane changes, Summon, and Autopark. Navigate on Autopilot was also part of FSD, but I don't recall if it was ever part of Enhanced Autopilot. I believe this feature split between Autopilot and FSD remains the same today, but Autopilot is now standard on everything except the off-menu SR.

EAP included every single feature currently offered in FSD- including NoA and enhanced summon.. (with Enhanced Summon being the last one making EAP feature complete based on its original promises).

Anything new still to come- like in-city driving- will almost certainly be FSD only though.

Roughly 30 or 45 days later it was added as standard.

They did, though they raised the price of the car to largely compensate.

As others are outlining, Tesla changed how features were packaged between Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and Full Self-Driving; and they've changed the pricing of those features several times. This has led to a lot of confusion, not to mention complaints when people realized that they could have gotten a better deal on these packages under whatever the pricing offer of the day was.

I'm posting because I placed my order on March 14, 2019, and I took delivery of my car on March 30 -- the same delivery day as @wdewing999. At that time, Autopilot was fairly basic -- mostly just lane-keep assist and adaptive cruise control. Several features that had been part of Enhanced Autopilot a few months earlier had been moved into the FSD package by the time I bought my car. These include automated lane changes, Summon, and Autopark. Navigate on Autopilot was also part of FSD, but I don't recall if it was ever part of Enhanced Autopilot. I believe this feature split between Autopilot and FSD remains the same today, but Autopilot is now standard on everything except the off-menu SR.

My purchase agreement shows a price for Autopilot of $3,000 and of FSD of $5,000. My recollection is that Tesla offered these prices as valid at the time of purchase, and that each one (or at least FSD) would be $1,000 more if purchased later. Thus, the quoted $3,000 sounds right, if not better than advertised in March of 2019. I see that FSD is now $7,000. Although the basic Autopilot package is now standard, Tesla changed prices when they made it standard, resulting in an effective price increase of a bit less than the then-current Autopilot price.

All that said, I recall back in March that Tesla would occasionally offer free trials of Autopilot, with reduced pricing during the trial period, to entice existing owners to fork over more money. I haven't followed whether such free trials have continued. If they have, then @wdewing999 might consider waiting for the next one in the hope of getting Autopilot for less money.

Thanks, that is helpful, and it makes sense, so I guess I am looking for people who took delivery in March, but who were able to buy autopilot for $2000 based on that reduced trial price.

@wdewing99 you had to have ordered your car before March 1, when Tesla announced price cuts on the car in response to the Fed tax credit being reduced, to take part in the half off feature sale that lasted thru maybe mid-March. New March orders already had their car price cut and AP was $3K then, $4K if you didn’t order it at time of purchase.

From Larry Magid’s Forbes article of March 4:

“Whether and how much these discounts benefit current owners depends on what they ordered and when they ordered it.

On March 1st, Tesla announced “All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.”
  • Tesla owners who hadn’t bought EAP can get basic Auto Pilot for $2,000 (it normally costs $4,000 after purchase) and FSD for an additional $3,000. In other words, for $5,000 they’re getting what would have cost $8,000 if they had ordered it when they purchased the car or $11,000 as an upgrade. So,someone who hadn’t ordered auto pilot or FSD and wants those features are getting what amounts to a $6,000 discount. Good deal for the folks who didn’t buy what Tesla was selling.
  • Anyone who bought Auto Pilot* ($5K on purchase or $7K afer purchase) will now be able to upgrade to FSD for $2,000 as opposed to the $5,000 previous upgrade price. These folks (myself among them) get a $3,000 discount over the orginal upgrade price. But even if I upgrade with the discount, I still wind up paying $1,790 for my car — including the upgrades and after taking advantage of the larger tax credit, then someone who orders the car today.”
*Larry meant to say Extended AutoPilot here, not AP.

Hope that refreshes some memories from back then. I was in the second group having ordered EAP back in 6/18 and took advantage of the $2K FSD. Tesla even extended the half off sale a few days past when it was originally suppose to end to give those of us who paid more for the base price of our Model 3 than those who were ordering starting in March a few days longer to take advantage of this.
This is the answer that OP is looking for. The $2k AP was only offered to people who bought the car before the March price cut. I bought the car in 2018, and bought AP for $2k mid-March.

Reactions: JBT66
2ajuJyy_d.jpg

YCMIh5j.png

“Basic” Autopilot (TACC and Autosteer) is now included with every Tesla. It’s not an option. You don’t have to spend extra money to get those features.

The last I heard, Autopilot was still not included in the off-menu Model 3 SR, although it is included in the SR+ and every other Tesla you can buy new today. That said, I've heard very little about the SR of late. Have there even been reports of people ordering or taking delivery of this bottom-level version recently?

The last I heard, Autopilot was still not included in the off-menu Model 3 SR, although it is included in the SR+ and every other Tesla you can buy new today. That said, I've heard very little about the SR of late. Have there even been reports of people ordering or taking delivery of this bottom-level version recently?

Hi, I posted this in my other thread, I will post it here to reduce confusion.

I admit the timing on basic autopilot pricing is strange but here is why:

When I bought my car, I took delivery on March 30. I had autopilot on the car at time of delivery.

less than two weeks later Tesla announced all new cars sold would have basic autopilot so I just thought that was why I had it.

Over the summer the car started to have intermittent problems. Autopilot stopped working but so did several other things like the auto headlights and auto wipers and the cars and lines would disappear from my display.

in October it finally became a permanent problem so I made a service appointment.

when I took the car in they had to replace the autopilot computer. When I got the car back it had no autopilot and I asked why and they said I didn’t purchase it.

I told them I had it and they said it must have been a delivery mistake and now I have exactly what I paid for.

that is fine but now I want to pay a fair price for it. I feel that the fair price is $2000 since that was the price increase on April 12 for those who had it included in their cars, but also because that is the price that many other people like me who purchased in March apparently paid through this trial thing.

Tesla is simply asking me to provide examples of folks who paid that price and purchased during that time.

I saw one fellow in my other thread who did pay $2000 during an autopilot trial at that time and I am simply looking for others who also did the same.

that will hopefully let Tesla know that what I am asking for is the fair price for basic autopilot at the time that I purchase the car.

reasonable right?

I purchased my Model 3 in March. Autopilot was $3K at purchase or $4K after delivery.

Shortly after my purchase they raised the price of all cars by $2K but included autopilot in the base price. However, I do not recall ever seeing Tesla offer autopilot for $2K to existing owners who had not previously purchased it. They did reduce the after purchase price from $4K to $3K. So they effectively removed the “penalty” for not purchasing it with delivery.

Got my Basic Autopilot for $2,600CAD ($2,000USD) post-delivery.
LR RWD delivered June 2018 with no AP or FSD.

There was a sort of fire-sale for a short period that you would only know about if you followed Elon or Tesla on Twitter.
Logged on to Tesla account and saw the lower pricing.
Many people were not aware of the "sale" because it was not officially communicated to anyone as far as I know.

Good luck.