Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who can Beat my Average Whr/mile? (Over life of Car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With cold temperatures negatively impacting mileage, and to a lesser amount hot climates degrading mileage due to use of AC, the best results may come from a mild environment, and ideally a person with little highway driving. Thus, I predict a resident of Hawaii will be our eventual mileage champion. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: mangrove79
Generous mileage numbers don’t seem to impact ICE vehicle sales much at all. People who care about mileage/ range granny foot and keep pretty close to the numbers. The rest of us just accept that we’re not grannies and recognize that most of the time we won’t get the granny number.

No offense meant to grannies or efficient drivers. You all rock in my book, I’ve been a granny foot in the past too!
He's talking about stated range though.. not milage.. mpg.. or efficiency. What he is saying is this:

If Tesla was more honest about the real-world range of their vehicles, then maybe they wouldn't sell as many. And he's right. You look at the first question pretty much everyone has after buying their first Tesla.. is something along the lines of my car says its supposed to go 330 miles before charging.. and I just drove about 200 miles and the battery is already down to 10%.

Call it whatever you want. But Tesla's seem to have the most optimistic EPA range of any EV sold today. That "real world" range test points this out as every Tesla led the entire EV field with the biggest negative difference between EPA & actual results. Meanwhile, Porsche on the other hand was the exact opposite, the range on those vehicles is grossly underestimated by the EPA and they can go a lot further than the car's computer & EPA sticker actually says.

He's talking about stated range though.. not milage.. mpg.. or efficiency. What he is saying is this:

If Tesla was more honest about the real-world range of their vehicles, then maybe they wouldn't sell as many. And he's right. You look at the first question pretty much everyone has after buying their first Tesla.. is something along the lines of my car says its supposed to go 330 miles before charging.. and I just drove about 200 miles and the battery is already down to 10%.

Call it whatever you want. But Tesla's seem to have the most optimistic EPA range of any EV sold today. That "real world" range test points this out as every Tesla led the entire EV field with the biggest negative difference between EPA & actual results. Meanwhile, Porsche on the other hand was the exact opposite, the range on those vehicles is grossly underestimated by the EPA and they can go a lot further than the car's computer & EPA sticker actually says.

The variance between rated range and actual is a function of efficiency.