Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has waited the longest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... snip... But now they have my money, and it seems they are having delivery issues which are in fact frustrating. It appears that Tesla will now have 100,000 dollars of my money for over two weeks (maybe longer) and yes, this does upset me. ...snip...
They're taking more than the deposit before delivery of cars now? This is new. When did that start?

I submitted my reservation on Friday March 27,2009 at 3:56pm eastern time. I instantly received an email from Tesla telling me I have taken the first step. I was then assigned P#172.

I am curious to see if there is anyone left who has waited longer than I have. Assuming that nobody will ever wait that long again for a model S, I think it would be fun to know exactly who owns the distinction of waiting the longest. I always pick the wrong line at toll booths and check-out lines so I figured it had to be me.

So, back to the OP; I received my "first step" email on March 26, 2009 at 7:51 pm Central. It took a bit before my wire could go through (my credit union had never wired Cdn$ to an American bank before), so I ended up #4 on the Canada list. But I imagine at this point I will have waited the longest if we're defining it by the time we started the process. I hope to get my car by the end of the year, but so far I'm probably [forced to be] the most patient world-wide.:wink: In the end, it will likely be someone from outside of North America, although I don't know when each country's reservations began.

- - - Updated - - -

After 2 years reading this forum, this thread finally makes me registered.

I place my order on march 27th 2009 at 9:27 am

on april 28th 2009 I receive a message : Please note our CRM system has date and time-stamped your deposit on April 7. and got assigne P#5 in Canada.

as of today I'm still waiting my 85kwh perf (just configure it last week)

Hope to have it before the 4th anniversary of my order...

Interesting. So you were right after me, which means no other Canadian sent in money between March 29 and April 7. No wonder Tesla was telling me it wasn't a big deal when my credit union was having issues.

Might be true for North American Reservation holders. Toss in the 2013 red exterior color and we will look for April/May delivery windows. Longest wait will be UK or AUS right hand drive versions. Ask KangarooAustralia. :cool:
I recall that Reservations for Australia did not open until a little while later than North America, but they may have made an exception for Simon who brought the LHD roadster to Australia in 2008. I didn't pull the trigger until June this year anyway, so not me.

Guys - when you get your cars it will be worth the wait. Best machine on earth!

3. sept 2009 but I'm in europe so I probably beat the canadian whiners :) and we don't even have the pricings. As I'm P85 there are at least 85 poorer souls than me in europe, and thank god I drive on the 'right' side :p

My thoughts go to all my famely and friends who had enough of me talking about this car like 2 years ago!

I have a $5000 high risk, interest free, paid reservation for a Tesla S made on July,20,2009 in exchange for priority sequence number P1020 to be built after the Founder and Signature Series. Tesla since 2009 has made several changes altering our original reservation agreement and now has the inability to deliver the model I chose for general production number 1020. Because I wont pay an extra $20000 I am now being told I have to wait until April 2013 for a year end Tesla S (the first 2012 Tesla S was produced in June 2012). I was promised twice to have my car by 2012 year end which has failed and now I'm paying $7500 late estimated Federal taxes which may result in penalties. Higher general production reservation holders leapfrogged me by putting down the extra $20000. Should I be satisfied to be just disappointed?

40kWh battery? You should have paid your taxes a long time ago. I'm not sure 40kWh cars were ever on the table before years end.

I have a $5000 high risk, interest free, paid reservation for a Tesla S made on July,20,2009 in exchange for priority sequence number P1020 to be built after the Founder and Signature Series. Tesla since 2009 has made several changes altering our original reservation agreement and now has the inability to deliver the model I chose for general production number 1020. Because I wont pay an extra $20000 I am now being told I have to wait until April 2013 for a year end Tesla S (the first 2012 Tesla S was produced in June 2012). I was promised twice to have my car by 2012 year end which has failed and now I'm paying $7500 late estimated Federal taxes which may result in penalties. Higher general production reservation holders leapfrogged me by putting down the extra $20000. Should I be satisfied to be just disappointed?

3. sept 2009 but I'm in europe so I probably beat the canadian whiners :) and we don't even have the pricings. As I'm P85 there are at least 85 poorer souls than me in europe, and thank god I drive on the 'right' side :p

My thoughts go to all my famely and friends who had enough of me talking about this car like 2 years ago!

You might be one of the longer ones, if you get yours in June or later. I really do think that with Tesla's production rate the only thing to slow Europeans down would be homologation issues, since your bureaucracy is probably as bad as ours! At the same time, there is a lot more political will and incentive to speed the adoption of electrics in Europe.

Oh, and I haven't seen much whining from Canadians (although there are a couple of threads that include us:wink:), on the whole we're glad an American company isn't ignoring the rest of the world, and not just launching in limited cities. Tesla's far from perfect, but they are on the correct trajectory and that is vital.

Last edited:
I had to hold $7500 in cash from my federal tax estimates in exchange for the federal tax coupon provided with the purchase of the car. Taxes are late because I held the cash as delivery was promised in 2012. The 40kWh and 60kWh were to be built in 2012 among the first 5000. The delay for choosing a 40kWh wasn't in the original agreement just the Tesla S production number P1020. Tesla made changes after the 2009 agreement in the production time frame for that model that has broken their original agreement. I could get the car as stated in the original agreement as long as I consented to an additional $20000 (is that legal?). I didn't make the change so why should I be financially punished to receive the car as agreed?

I had to hold $7500 in cash from my federal tax estimates in exchange for the federal tax coupon provided with the purchase of the car. Taxes are late because I held the cash as delivery was promised in 2012. The 40kWh and 60kWh were to be built in 2012 among the first 5000. The delay for choosing a 40kWh wasn't in the original agreement just the Tesla S production number P1020. Tesla made changes after the 2009 agreement in the production time frame for that model that has broken their original agreement. I could get the car as stated in the original agreement as long as I consented to an additional $20000 (is that legal?). I didn't make the change so why should I be financially punished to receive the car as agreed?

I am pretty sure back in February or March it was known, and posted on the Tesla site, that the 40kWh packs wouldn't be produced until 2013. It certainly has been posted the last few months. And that the 60kWh packs would only start production in December and only a handful might make it to customers.

You still have 2 weeks, put some money towards taxes. I would be on the phone with my payroll people trying to get my full paycheck withheld towards taxes to try to avoid a penalty.

I agree it is kind of crappy that Tesla is only producing 85kWh cars at the moment, but saying it is causing a tax problem seems a little unfair. It isn't like you thought up until yesterday that your car would be coming. And there is still time to pay your taxes, get your payroll/HR people on the phone now! Withhold as much as they will let you.

I submitted my reservation on Friday March 27,2009 at 3:56pm eastern time. I instantly received an email from Tesla telling me I have taken the first step. I was then assigned P#172...
I submitted my order on the next day: Saturday, March 28th, 2009. I was awarded P445. My color/wheel configuration is the same as the original prototype. Currently in the final paperwork/delivery scheduling process - I may have it this Friday :smile:

I gave up on getting delivery for 2012 and have paid the tax last week. This whole investment in Tesla could have failed and I would have lost my $5000. Now that Tesla has succeeded using mine and many others money, Tesla needs to come to the plate with something for delivering cars around me. I didn't want a year old version in March or April 2013 .Tesla is providing poor communication and customer service to an early investor. You are missing the point about the production number promised. This production number was provided years before their 40kWh announcement to have a delayed delivery. No one knew there would be a model which could delayed delivery, that was a change Tesla made at a later date braking our original agreement. Tesla is simply not honoring our July/2009 agreement.

Last edited:
I gave up on getting delivery for 2012 and have paid the tax last week. This whole investment in Tesla could have failed and I would have lost my $5000. Now that Tesla has succeeded using mine and many others money, Tesla needs to come to the plate with something for delivering cars around me. I didn't want a year old version in March or April 2013 .Tesla is providing poor communication and customer service to an early investor. You are missing the point about the production number promised. This production number was provided years before their 40kWh announcement to have a delayed delivery. No one knew there would be a model which could delayed delivery, that was a change Tesla made at a later date braking our original agreement. Tesla is simply not honoring our July/2009 agreement.

I understand your frustration. But Tesla has honored their agreement. I highly doubt your reservation had '2012 delivery' attached to it. Tesla didn't even have battery sizes picked out then, as you pointed out. They offered you a chance to buy a car. You took them up on that. You chose to buy a car that wouldn't be delivered this year. You had an opportunity to buy an 85kWh car, that most likely would have been delivered this year. I know it sucks that Tesla can't deliver any configuration car they want right now. But manufacturing is tough. Assembly lines are even tougher. It would be a poor business strategy for Tesla to go hog wild on options from day one. Heck they even had trouble with the Signatures, and they were even more limited in choice.

Besides I know my reservation had this exact language: "This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Model S and does not lock in pricing, a production slot, or an estimated delivery date."

I wish they were selling cars in 100% perfect order too. But you can't run a business that way.

I'm not sure what the contract looked like when you put your deposit down, but mine made it abundantly clear that Tesla could deliver the cars in whatever order they saw fit. I agree that it sucks, hard, for folks who made reservations really early on and who want the 40kWh battery pack, but if you're going to make statements about what your deposit "bought" (I'm not sure it bought anything since it is fully refundable) you really should be clear as to what the understanding actually was.

Now, if your initial reservation email says something different, that's totally another story.

This is from that initial email:

7. Priority

We will establish your reservation sequence position in our sole discretion. We may decline reservations to avoid over-subscription or as we deem appropriate in our sole discretion. If your reservation is declined, you will be notified and your Reservation Payment will be refunded.

Here is the exact language copied from my reservation. Priority: Tesla will establish the Model S production sequence according to the order in which payment and signed reservations are received. Note that there will be a Founder Series and a Signature Series that will prelude the regular production Model S. I didnt say it wasnt hard. Contracts are contracts. More than disappointed!
(the emailed confirmation was made by Matthew Zatto 7/20/2009 6:42:52P.M. ET).

Here is the exact language copied from my reservation. Priority: Tesla will establish the Model S production sequence according to the order in which payment and signed reservations are received. Note that there will be a Founder Series and a Signature Series that will prelude the regular production Model S. I didnt say it wasnt hard. Contracts are contracts. More than disappointed!
(the emailed confirmation was made by Matthew Zatto 7/20/2009 6:42:52P.M. ET).

I understand your frustration and this still would have been true only if you opted for the 85 kWh pack of course. That language is still vague enough that Tesla rolling out the cars by battery pack (which has been know for at least most of this year) still agrees with what they said initially. There are of course many, many things 3 years ago that they didn't know when they were talking reservations. It still sucks but that's how things turned out. You're still getting an awesome car that should have many more bugs out of it by the time it arrives in the spring. The very, very long wait will hopefully be worth it.

Dave (dsm363) and others, I know you all mean well. But, I can clearly understand where David Slagle's coming from; I've been dealing with this rollercoaster of emotions myself.

To see a 10,000+ sequence number (issued as recently as July, 2012!) get their delivery way way before you (and possibly in 2012!) hurts, quite a bit. Of course, Tesla as a startup had no option but to do what they have done to survive, have a great Q4 and thrive.

We all know that they've done a really subpar job (and GeorgeB admitted to this) communicating these delayed windows for the smaller battery packs; I just hope that - and I have a genuine fear that this may actually not turn out pretty - they prioritize the low sequence numbers with smaller packs from January onwards while setting the right expectations for the 85ers who answered yes to that December email but are not actually getting their cars in 2012.