Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is waiting on the 2024 changes to order a Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm telling you the front camera won't be enough to give us anything close to the sensitivity real park distance sensors embedded into the bumpers will. Tesla should have given the S and X sensors in the bumpers for the price we are paying. 20k kia's have them.

Totally agree. Even "close" is as bad as not at all since you can't trust it. USS gave is accuracy to within an inch.

I'm sure once the bumper camera is there they'll add the overhead eventually. Kind of like they added the blindspot cameras on turn signal a few years ago. But in the interim, for those without USS, it'll at least allow you to see things as you're approaching, so for example curbs as you're pulling into a parking lot, or items as you're pulling into the garage, etc.

I'm sure once the bumper camera is there they'll add the overhead eventually. Kind of like they added the blindspot cameras on turn signal a few years ago. But in the interim, for those without USS, it'll at least allow you to see things as you're approaching, so for example curbs as you're pulling into a parking lot, or items as you're pulling into the garage, etc.
They would still need front lateral views to have enough data to make a top down. I think there's also some sort of patent on that view and Tesla doesn't like paying other people if they don't have to.

I was backing into work today, and the car kept telling me to stop when I still had almost 2 ft to go. No ultrasonic sensors on this demo.
1000004427.jpg

Any word on HD radar? I know it was seen on a teardown of the X last year but I haven’t heard anything about it since. I guess it’s there and lying dormant?
And that is so annoying. Little bit of fog, sun low in the sky in any direction and “camera is blocked or blinded.” My son’s Camry still has adaptive cruise control in those conditions, but I’m driving manually. Turn on the damn radar (if it’s even there).

Is anyone with active orders set to deliver in the next few weeks seeing their dates pushed out?

If so that is a good indication that something is changing in the production line requiring a small delay. Is that happening?

Do you see a new model S with steer by wire and faster charging coming any time soon? I was thinking to wait for that but unsure if I should pull the trigger now on a Plaid soon instead.
Just a guess but that likely won't happen for a few years. It would take a complete redesign of the Model S I believe. About the only thing you could hope for in the next few months would be that front bumper camera and ambient lighting.

Just a guess but that likely won't happen for a few years. It would take a complete redesign of the Model S I believe. About the only thing you could hope for in the next few months would be that front bumper camera and ambient lighting.
Not an engineer, but is this really true? It seems like an upgraded wiring harness and some component swap outs that would really not require an entire redesign. Happy to hear from anyone with expertise in the matter.