Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are TACC, AP (and ?FSD) so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If AP is not meant for 2 lane roads, why does it activate on 2 lane roads? I should be fenced, if it's unsafe.

Seriously, I really don't understand that.
The 2 lane thing is an excuse. Without Full Student Driving Beta (FSDb) , the control on 2 lane is still different than divided highways AP. The 4 divided hyways has the ability to pass and lane change if bought EAP for $6k now. It's a different "stack" than the regular AP that is used on 2 lane roads. Regular lane centering and radar, oops Camera based, speed control isn't that hard anymore as LOTS of manufacturers do it. This isn't 2012 where it was rare.

Have a theory why V11, Single Stack Full Student Driving Beta hasn't been rolled out and replaced the existing 4 Lane Navigate On AP stack: the NoAP stack does a MUCH better job at driving around semi trucks and other cars at 75 mph than FSDb does. So much better that they won't kill NoAP stack yet.

Maintaining 2 stacks is bad, as the FSDb version is always behind the latest thread. But it's been a year since we were told (lied to) that Single Stack is coming. Now with the FSDb being is NTHSB recall, what is going to happen to Single Stack?

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
Don't know how to answer that, except RTFM.
Also, if a wheel weight is not supposed to be used for hands-off driving, why do people still use them?
If you're required to keep your hands on the wheel, why do people post videos of themselves sleeping or having sex while driving?
People do so many stupid things that make it difficult for the rest of us, regardless of guidelines, manuals and common sense.
"You're holding it wrong"

Why are they bad? Because the company’s one-man PR department is a liar. And to make matters worse the other major source of PR comes from an army of YouTubers who mostly exaggerate how great the products are and thereby assure they have a steady revenue source.

But at least feel good that you didn’t buy your car 5+ years ago like many of us did. Eventually the empty promises may come true and at least you didn’t spend too many years waiting.

Needs work.

Yup, driving intoxicated has the same risks as not being attentive when using driver assist. This is clearly the fault of the driver who was not paying attention.

"California Highway Patrol Officer Adam Lane said it was not clear whether the driver may have been intoxicated or whether the Tesla Model S was operating with automation or driving assistance features."

Reactions: Mullermn
Yup, driving intoxicated has the same risks as not being attentive when using driver assist. This is clearly the fault of the driver who was not paying attention.

"California Highway Patrol Officer Adam Lane said it was not clear whether the driver may have been intoxicated or whether the Tesla Model S was operating with automation or driving assistance features."
At the minimum, automatic emergency braking should have mitigated the impact enough to prevent death but it didn’t.

Reactions: COS Blue and mspohr
At the minimum, automatic emergency braking should have mitigated the impact enough to prevent death but it didn’t.
Um, no...have you read the manual and guidelines?

Automatic Emergency Braking is not designed to prevent a collision. At best, it can minimize the impact of a frontal collision by attempting to reduce your driving speed. Depending on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death.

Um, no...have you read the manual and guidelines?

Automatic Emergency Braking is not designed to prevent a collision. At best, it can minimize the impact of a frontal collision by attempting to reduce your driving speed. Depending on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death.
AEB can be disabled by the driver. And, we don't know what the speed of the car was. A Model S can go awfully fast at 4 AM.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
My friends with Chevy and Ford hybrids/EVs that have some type of TACC/AP semi-equivalent said they like it but occasional phantom braking is an issue and they've learned to deal with it.
My Chevy Volt NEVER does it. Our old Caddy SRX never did it. Our Mustang GT would get fooled by a tree and shadow in the morning when sun is low. Would just beep, never slammed on brakes. Consistant location and easy to avoid.

Didn't even know 'Phantom Braking' was a thing until got a Tesla. So for us, no, not the same.

My Chevy Volt NEVER does it. Our old Caddy SRX never did it. Our Mustang GT would get fooled by a tree and shadow in the morning when sun is low. Would just beep, never slammed on brakes. Consistant location and easy to avoid.

Didn't even know 'Phantom Braking' was a thing until got a Tesla. So for us, no, not the same.
I am glad to hear this. As I mentioned, it is "occasional" for them to experience and they told me about this 2 years before I got my Tesla. So as it is for many drivers, some cars experience it, others don't. I have experienced it once, but it wasn't a slam-on-the-brakes in NoA mode. I have noticed a deceleration when the car one car length in front of me in the next lane turns on their signal to come into my lane, even before they start the maneuver. I was impressed with that, but thought I may have been mistaken, but it's done this several times now.

Regarding FSDb (44.30.10) on windy two-lane roads, it's much better at staying in the lane and I don't think I've had a single forward collision warning when using it.

It does a cute thing I've not seen before: When a semi approaches when on a curve, the car goes out of the lane a little bit, toward the shoulder. Better than braking!
That's good to hear.
My experience is that AP tends to drift to the outside of the curve into oncoming traffic.