Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me reiterate. Supercharger is a proprietary technology paid by the marketing department of Tesla Motors. CHAdeMO is one of the open standards supported by a number of charger manufacturers as well as EV manufacturers. Usually the service at CHAdeMO station is paid. Now, what is your opinion, which model is more sustainable? In 2 years?
Considering that every supplier of CHAdeMO charging is losing money, my guess is that the Supercharger-model is most sustainable. Prepaid for the life of the car is a way to get people to really put meaningful money into the system, allowing expansion and bringing in even more Tesla buyers.

...proprietary technology...sustainable? In 2 years?

Tesla offered its much faster and much cheaper charging protocol to the Auto Industry prior to implementation but the industry refused. Thus, it has been branded as "proprietary."

To solve that inaccessibility problem of "proprietary," Tesla then opened up its patents.

You can copy it for free. The Chinese can copy it for free.

It is no longer a closed secrete. No body will be prosecuted for copying Tesla Supercharger technology.

If you refuse to spend your own money to copy it, you can share its already built stations paid by Tesla with some conditions:

1) You share the cost of those stations.
2) You shall not impose your customers to pay per use.

With its model, Tesla owners have been enjoying driving from coast-to-coast since January 2014.

Its owners have now enjoyed that even more driving from LAX to NYC with auto pilot in 57 hours and 48 minutes including charging last year.

The network has opened up worldwide. You can now can travel from the very north in Europe, Setermoen-Norway, all the way down to Tarragona-Spain, Arezzo-Italy, France and all the way to the west over the ocean to Edinburgh Airport-UK or all the way east to Zvolen-Slovakia.

The same with rapid expansions in Asia and Australia.

And that's only in a few years.

If you are in doubt of its survival, go to its website and take a look at its Tesla Charger progress map.

Other protocols are nice talk but they are nothing but confusions and with absolutely no progress map.

Does the ICE industry even know what they are doing when it comes to charging advancement?

Refusal to embrace the betterment of society is a choice, not an excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and MrBoylan
Let me reiterate. Supercharger is a proprietary technology paid by the marketing department of Tesla Motors.
Tesla has a Marketing Department? That's the biggest news in the thread!

Actually, Tesla Supercharger network is paid for by the sale of the cars. It's built into the cost of the cars.

CHAdeMO is one of the open standards supported by a number of charger manufacturers as well as EV manufacturers. Usually the service at CHAdeMO station is paid. Now, what is your opinion, which model is more sustainable? In 2 years?
Tesla wins for today in terms of long distance travel convenience. Tesla will probably win for 2 years from now too. While everybody else is trying to figure out a long distance travel solution for their EVs, maybe even make a half-hearted attempt at a solution (like BMW and Nissan), Tesla figured it out several years ago and has been beefing up the network ever since. You do realize that hundreds of early adopters ordered (made deposits on) their Tesla Model S before the Supercharger network was even announced, right? They're all like "TAKE MY MONEY" and Elon was like "BTW, free supercharging for life" and they're like "You're selling past the close, dude!"

And oh yeah, there's a Chademo adapter available for Tesla, so we get to use those too. (and there was much rejoicing).

I'd get a 3 because it would be substantially less than a similarly optioned S, I want a smaller car, and/or I know I'll get the tax credit (or have enough time to cancel before the build if I can't).

I'd get an S because the 3 may not be than much less than a inventory or CPO S I would purchase, it doesn't have supercharging, and/or my build wouldn't qualify for the tax credit regardless.

I'd get another EV from another manufacturer if they offer better build quality (even if performance is poor), better support (warranty/documentation/replacement parts availability and cost), and lower costs with a similar degree of functionality.

Tesla has a Marketing Department? That's the biggest news in the thread!
Marketing - Japan Marketing Head | Tesla Motors | Tesla Motors

Actually, Tesla Supercharger network is paid for by the sale of the cars. It's built into the cost of the cars.
Do you believe the cost will be included in Model 3 too? I doubt it.

Tesla wins for today in terms of long distance travel convenience. Tesla will probably win for 2 years from now too. While everybody else is trying to figure out a long distance travel solution for their EVs, maybe even make a half-hearted attempt at a solution (like BMW and Nissan), Tesla figured it out several years ago and has been beefing up the network ever since. You do realize that hundreds of early adopters ordered (made deposits on) their Tesla Model S before the Supercharger network was even announced, right? They're all like "TAKE MY MONEY" and Elon was like "BTW, free supercharging for life" and they're like "You're selling past the close, dude!"

And oh yeah, there's a Chademo adapter available for Tesla, so we get to use those too. (and there was much rejoicing).
Tesla also wins today in many other terms: least number of cup holders per car, largest number of backward seats in the trunk, least number of usable controls, largest screen (because it cannot produce normal control panel), largest windscreen, etc.
But back to the point, do yourself a favor and open the map of CHAdeMO chargers and compare it to the map of available superchargers PlugShare

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: TMS and SW2Fiddler
But back to the point, do yourself a favor and open the map of CHAdeMO chargers and compare it to the map of available superchargers PlugShare
Comparing numbers like that is meaningless... You don't need nearly as many locations when you're building the network exclusively for long range EVs. What matters in the case of long range EVs is where the stations are located, not necessarily total number.

Reactions: GSP
With its model, Tesla owners have been enjoying driving from coast-to-coast since January 2014.

Its owners have now enjoyed that even more driving from LAX to NYC with auto pilot in 57 hours and 48 minutes including charging last year.
While the rest of the people enjoyed 8 hour flight from LAX to NYC (including boarding and stuff) with real auto pilot (and 2 pilots). And likely paid less then the Tesla owner for that trip.

Other protocols are nice talk but they are nothing but confusions and with absolutely no progress map.

Does the ICE industry even know what they are doing when it comes to charging advancement?

Refusal to embrace the betterment of society is a choice, not an excuse.
"Other protocols are nice talk but they are nothing but confusions" , but surely reverse-engineering the Supercharger protocol will be nothing but a beauty.

• Disagree
Reactions: TMS
Comparing numbers like that is meaningless... You don't need nearly as many locations when you're building the network exclusively for long range EVs. What matters in the case of long range EVs is where the stations are located, not necessarily total number.
You are 100% right. Number is not important for thousands of EV owners mostly located on east and west coasts. What important is location of these stations for 10 and 1/2 dudes who decided to ride across the US in their EVs. Because they have a very good reason to do so.
But location is not important too. The most important things are design and paint color. Because Jonny Ive cries every time he passes a CHAdeMO charging station. :):):)

• Disagree
Plus there's the possible 13,000+ Tesla employee reservations I'll have to wait to be fulfilled. :(:D
For sure, some of them will order 2 for their $17/h salary in BA.

Attachments

• Tesla.gif
    Tesla.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Disagree
Do you believe the cost will be included in Model 3 too? I doubt it.
No, I believe supercharger access will be a paid option for the Model 3. It hasn't been promised yet, and no competitive cars have it, and supercharger access has significant value, so I believe they will (and should) charge for it in the Model 3.

Tesla also wins today in many other terms: least number of cup holders per car,
Model X has at least 8 of those. That's more than one per occupant. I think that's probably enough.

largest number of backward seats in the trunk,
An ingenious solution for extra seating, and comfortable for small people (except during really hot days, as the air circulation back there isn't great).
least number of usable controls,
Touch screen is literally all you need to control every aspect of the car. Steering wheel also has several customizable controls for frequently used functions like radio volume and station presets. I figured that stuff out without any instructions on my first test drive.

largest screen (because it cannot produce normal control panel),
Large screen obviates the need for archaic mechanical controls
largest windscreen, etc.
Yes, another huge advantage, unless you don't like so much unobstructed visibility for driver and passengers.

Did you miss the part about the Chademo adapter for the Model S? Chademo + supercharger + pretty much any other public charging standard means that Teslas have the greatest selection of charging options all over the world. Cars that are not Teslas cannot access the Tesla super chargers. Ipso facto, cogito ergo sum, Tesla wins the charging war.

You are 100% right. Number is not important for thousands of EV owners mostly located on east and west coasts. What important is location of these stations for 10 and 1/2 dudes who decided to ride across the US in their EVs. Because they have a very good reason to do so.
But location is not important too. The most important things are design and paint color. Because Jonny Ive cries every time he passes a CHAdeMO charging station. :):):)
I've got to ask, what is it with you and focusing on driving across country? I use the SC stations to get from the greater LA area out to Inyo, Vegas, and regularly run up to the San Jose area. With a long range EV, SC stations around town are pretty pointless but the placement along major highways is perfect. The CHAdeMO networks aren't currently set up this way because they're catering to short range EVs that can barely get across LA without accessing one...and the existing CHAdeMO infrastructure charges too slowly to be all that useful for long range EVs, unless there's absolutely no other option.

Reactions: GSP
Access to and "free" access to are different things. Has Elon, or anyone at Tesla gone on record to say that the base Model 3 at $35K will have free supercharger access? I haven't seen that. And personally I doubt it will be free. Like Auto Pilot, Supercharger access has value and they can (and should) charge for it as an option. This will allow them to stay profitable (important for company longevity) and to invest that money right back into infrastructure like new stores, service centers and supercharger stations.

A $1000 to $2500 premium for lifetime access to the supercharger network would be perfectly acceptable (to me, at least). It will also keep the people who don't *need* access to the superchargers (those who only use their Tesla for local driving and commuting) away from the superchargers, which will hopefully keep them from getting too crowded.

To me it doesn't really matter if there is a one time charge or not - whether there is or isn't, the Model 3 will still "have access" (have the ability) to use the SC network. That's what I was responding to. And Which is, to many, a major selling point over other EVs. If that is important to a buyer and there is a charge, they will pay to have it enabled. If it isn't, then they are no worse off than other EVs without it I guess.

IF there is a charge to have it enabled. Which I am not convinced there will be.

Reactions: MrBoylan
Because I have nothing better to do with $1K besides offer an interest-free loan to Tesla.

Because I've been drinking Tesla Kool Aid since 2012.

Because as much as I love so much about the Model S, she's a wide bodied sedan and I'd be more comfortable in a car that's 20% smaller.

Because I've been worried about global CO2 levels since roughly 1995 so screw the "extended range because we added a gas engine."

Because GM killed the EV-1 and I think bad/shady business decisions should have repercussions so they aren't getting my money even after they fixed the stupid console buttons on the Volt.

Because I'm still worried about Nissan LEAF battery management. Plus, if I'm gonna replace my smart it'll be with something with a larger gain in range or else I'd just keep the smart.

Because Tesla service has been pretty much top notch IME and talking with Tesla peeps is entirely pleasant and fun and just about every car dealership gives me an instant stomachache. In fact, I'd like to support the death of the dealership model in any way I can.

Because we already have a vehicle that works well for long trips so while the SC network is of interest to me, if the Model 3 has a 200 mile range, I would rarely need to charge mid-trip if ever.

Because why not?

I've got to ask, what is it with you and focusing on driving across country? I use the SC stations to get from the greater LA area out to Inyo, Vegas, and regularly run up to the San Jose area. With a long range EV, SC stations around town are pretty pointless but the placement along major highways is perfect. The CHAdeMO networks aren't currently set up this way because they're catering to short range EVs that can barely get across LA without accessing one...and the existing CHAdeMO infrastructure charges too slowly to be all that useful for long range EVs, unless there's absolutely no other option.
On the route from LA to SJ there are a plenty of CHAdeMO chargers along 99. Now, I hope you are aware that from time and money point of view your 800 mile round trip will cost more on Tesla then on an airplane. And there are a plenty of flight options between these two locations.

• Disagree
Chances are that Model 3 will not get free charging on Supercharger network. Plus, other EVs has there own fast charging options.
But trues is that other EVs will not have Tesla in name or a letter from the word SEX :)

Haha. Sorry, but that just made me laugh.

Other makers do not have fast charging options. Even if you happen to live in California or the East Coast, the other charging networks are poorly managed, are about 1/3rd the charging speed of a supercharger, and generally are horrible.

Sorry, but my idea of a road trip does not include charging an hour for every hour spent driving.

Current Leaf owner who, by the way, lives in an island and cannot access any other cities because every chademo happens to be inside the city, and not between cities. Brilliant design.

While the rest of the people enjoyed 8 hour flight from LAX to NYC (including boarding and stuff) with real auto pilot (and 2 pilots). And likely paid less then the Tesla owner for that trip.

Now I know you live in your Mom's basement. There's nothing enjoyable about an 8hr flight from LAX to NYC; even if they're serving alcohol. I think I heard the doorbell; your pizza has arrived. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: MrBoylan