Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't smartphones communicate directly with your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, tell us more...
Take a look at my other thread about gaining access to my car.
Long story short, I have a Raspberry Pi on the car's internal network and it can issue commands to the car to tell it to do things.
Those things can include anything you can do from the app or the car controls, among others. My phone can connect to the Raspberry Pi directly (No reason Tesla would need new hardware, they could allow the same on the car's existing hardware)

I have built up a control screen which allows me to do all the usual app features, plus the following things not in the app at the touch of a button (all of these work even if neither the car, nor my phone, have internet access):
- Charge port release
- Frunk release
- Trunk release
- roll windows down
- Homelink even when summon isn't available (eg car plugged in, or key not detected)
- battery pack pre-heating

I also have an "advanced" screen which allows me to set a bunch of more in-depth items.

• Informative
Reactions: Haxster
Take a look at my other thread about gaining access to my car.
Long story short, I have a Raspberry Pi on the car's internal network and it can issue commands to the car to tell it to do things.
Those things can include anything you can do from the app or the car controls, among others. My phone can connect to the Raspberry Pi directly (No reason Tesla would need new hardware, they could allow the same on the car's existing hardware)

I have built up a control screen which allows me to do all the usual app features, plus the following things not in the app at the touch of a button (all of these work even if neither the car, nor my phone, have internet access):
- Charge port release
- Frunk release
- Trunk release
- roll windows down
- Homelink even when summon isn't available (eg car plugged in, or key not detected)
- battery pack pre-heating

I also have an "advanced" screen which allows me to set a bunch of more in-depth items.

Impressive!