Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Is Tesla Forcing Software Updates If No Safety Issue Is Involved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason for this is very simple. Tesla wants to move all vehicles to the latest codebase that contains #batterygate capping and #chargegate limiting code. This means, as your vehicle ages and you rack up miles, Tesla will more aggressively curtail your supercharging rate and lower your available battery capacity for safety reasons that it has chosen not to disclose to NHTSA.

Anything else Tesla says about this is a cover story.

Another change that backs this up is Tesla's recent addition to its warranty that Tesla may, through software updates, reduce range and performance after purchase and that is not covered by warranty. Tesla also changed its warranty to require owners accept all software updates.

There is a sh*t storm coming, folks, and probably another (larger) class action lawsuit.

The reason for this is very simple. Tesla wants to move all vehicles to the latest codebase that contains #batterygate capping and #chargegate limiting code. This means, as your vehicle ages and you rack up miles, Tesla will more aggressively curtail your supercharging rate and lower your available battery capacity for safety reasons that it has chosen not to disclose to NHTSA.

Another change that backs this up is Tesla's recent addition to its warranty that Tesla may, through software updates, reduce range and performance after purchase and that is not covered by warranty. Tesla also changed its warranty to require owners accept all software updates.

There is a sh*t storm coming, folks, and probably another (larger) class action lawsuit.
We truly live in the Age of Trump, where everything is a conspiracy theory and zero evidence is ever offered.

"Some people say this is a cover story."

Please..... This is about network security. If you don’t like it, disconnect your vehicle from the Borg and forgo any feature requiring connectivity. This is no different than how any other software/hardware computer company operates. It’s time to view cars the same way we view computers and iPhones.

I'll add to what VT_EE stated by stressing that the most significant difference between a desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone and a connected Tesla is that the Tesla physically moves you and your loved ones at speed among other 'dumb' vehicles that are capable of killing you while the risk to not updating the former connected devices can only cause you an inconvenience.

Reactions: jdr93 and irelandm
Am I the only one who lost voice command functionality by an update that occurred back in December? I'm guessing not, since both the Model S and the Model X no longer have this functionality, and the Tesla Ranger service said that its up to Fremont to produce a software that restores the feature.

It makes no sense for Tesla to arbitrarily remove features. :mad:

IF people don't like Tesla OTA updates, for god's sake, sell that Tesla and go buy what you want. IF Tesla software updates are NOT what you want - sell it. Go buy what you do want. Just stop winning.

You have dozens of other cars to choose from.
Are you offering to 100% refund all the people who purchased the car they liked, and then their car turned into car they don't like because of forced OTA? If not, stop telling people how they should just throw away a very expensive product, or sell it a loss, because the manufacturer f'ed it up remotely without your permission. Your advice is akin to "your bank just lost 50% of the money in your checking account, you say oh well, just take the remaining half and put it in a bank you like better"??? :confused:

Am I the only one who lost voice command functionality by an update that occurred back in December? I'm guessing not, since both the Model S and the Model X no longer have this functionality, and the Tesla Ranger service said that its up to Fremont to produce a software that restores the feature.

It makes no sense for Tesla to arbitrarily remove features. :mad:
They already got your money, what is their motivation really to keep your features working? I am not being sarcastic, just thinking pragmatically. Short term, Tesla has no reason whatsoever, other than a threat of a lawsuit, to support cars already sold. Long term, Elon doesn't car about existing owners, his focus is on new car sales.

Companies also need to keep a good image if they want you or others to come back and buy some more. I wish Tesla would clearly state why they are forcing updates. I am pretty sure its software security.
Matt Ferrell has a pretty good video up on YouTube about this, you guys should look it up.

We truly live in the Age of Trump, where everything is a conspiracy theory and zero evidence is ever offered.

"Some people say this is a cover story."
Zero evidence? Search the hashtags or read through this thread and educate yourself. Read the warranty and educate yourself. Make an effort instead of demanding to be spoon fed information.

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: Chaserr and sixela
BUT HASHTAG BATTERYGATE

Hey wait a minute....8.1 is now starting to roll
- They are adding third party charges to the navigation. I never drive more than 10 miles from my house and only charge at home
- I have a new S and they improved regen braking for it. I hate regen. I have it turned off
- They improved bluetooth. My teeth are fine thank you very much.
- I understand steering rack firmware is updated. They must be trying to fix some sort of manufacturing defect on the down low

Gosh darn! I knew I should have bought a Ford