Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Dynamic Speed Sensitive Volume Control???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Last 3 or 4 cars I have owned had Dynamic Speed Sensitive Volume Control. Why doesn't the 3 have this? Is it in the S/X? It is a mid level feature offered in many models these days. It is kinda aggravating having to manually adjust the volume level as you speed up or stop. Seems Tesla could add this at any time. Has it been asked or suggested or has any think been mentioned about it?

It's definitely there, and I HATE it. Especially in stop-and-go traffic it annoying as heck - volume goes up and down and is highly annoying. I wish I could turn it off. (My previous motorcycle helmet speaker system had it as well, and I bought a new one (Sena) just for this reason.

There's a very subtle version of this included that's actually hidden away, but it's so subtle that it doesn't really work right.
All the car's I have had it was adjustable with on/off. So why no adjustment since everyone wants a different level or none at all? If ANY car should offer more software options it is Tesla.

Pretty sure that functionality exists and it's always on. It's subtle...
It's definitely there, and I HATE it. Especially in stop-and-go traffic it annoying as heck - volume goes up and down and is highly annoying. I wish I could turn it off. (My previous motorcycle helmet speaker system had it as well, and I bought a new one (Sena) just for this reason.
There's a very subtle version of this included that's actually hidden away, but it's so subtle that it doesn't really work right.
I've noticed that we have it. It just isn't adjustable.
OK guys I knew there was either no control or too subtle to be of practical use. So I decided to test today and found to............

There is no Speed Sensitive Volume Control.

I played White Noise through my iPhone and used the Noise App on my Apple Watch (wOS/6/iOS13). Held watch in about the same position as looking at a watch which is about mid steering wheel hight. Was driving 80mph (HOV lane/widows up of course/AP) and set volume to 80dB (or as close as you can get) and measured. Keep volume the same and came to a complete stop and measured. Got the same relative volume (79dB when I took the screen shot). So there you go.

We don't have speed sensitive volume control.

IMG_0827.jpeg
IMG_0828.jpeg

80MPH.................................................0MPH/stopped

Last edited:
First thing I shut off on any car is speed based volume. Your ears already “auto adjust” to background noise and I find it wicked annoying having cars adjusting volume for me.
This is EXACLY the reason to have it.;) In a quiet setting (like stopped) a 65dB sound will almost sound loud BECAUSE our ears (or more correctly our brain) have "adjusted" the volume up. When you drive at 80mph the background noise rises to close to 70dB and your ears "adjust" their volume down. Then you can no longer hear the stereo since it is lower than the background noise.

Also because you want it off is NO reason to not offer it the same way most companies do. With ON/OFF and adjustable.

Reactions: Scott7 and SDRick
First thing I shut off on any car is speed based volume. Your ears already “auto adjust” to background noise and I find it wicked annoying having cars adjusting volume for me.

So if you are traveling at freeway speeds with the volume adjusted to your liking and then you exit and come to a stop do you manually adjust your volume down or do you leave it at the same volume as you had it on the freeway?

So if you are traveling at freeway speeds with the volume adjusted to your liking and then you exit and come to a stop do you manually adjust your volume down or do you leave it at the same volume as you had it on the freeway?

I usually adjust it, depends on the music. To be clear, I don't dramatically blast the volume when traveling faster.

This is especially true in my TM3P, but even on my motorcycle the volume of music isn't much different between 10mph and 100mph (I do adjust it, of course, but much less frequently and to a lesser degree than all of the "auto adjust systems").

Your ears will tune out background noises. The music Volume feels the same stopped or 80 mph to my ears. Because it is. Signal to noise goes down but your ears are pretty good as focusing on what they want and will filter out the drone. Maybe your ears need a service appt. ;)

Some offices have white noise generators. Do you think everyone has to talk louder? Of course not.

My ears find the music to loud at highway speed if I enable auto adjust. And don’t like it constantly adjusting if my speed is varying.

Reactions: Brisket5652
Your ears will tune out background noises. The music Volume feels the same stopped or 80 mph to my ears. Because it is. Signal to noise goes down but your ears are pretty good as focusing on what they want and will filter out the drone. Maybe your ears need a service appt. ;)

Some offices have white noise generators. Do you think everyone has to talk louder? Of course not.

My ears find the music to loud at highway speed if I enable auto adjust. And don’t like it constantly adjusting if my speed is varying.
While this is not the way psychoacoustic masking, attenuation and audio perception works (or MP3's would NOT work) it is pointless to debate it in this thread. The point of the tread is Tesla the most tech heavy car compony doesn't offer what is consider an almost basic feature in almost any premium car audio system.

I couldn't care less if you want to turn it off and do turn it off for what ever reason you have. It should be offered as an option and that is the point.

Auditory masking - Wikipedia

Sound masking - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Last 3 or 4 cars I have owned had Dynamic Speed Sensitive Volume Control. Why doesn't the 3 have this? Is it in the S/X? It is a mid level feature offered in many models these days. It is kinda aggravating having to manually adjust the volume level as you speed up or stop. Seems Tesla could add this at any time. Has it been asked or suggested or has any think been mentioned about it?
I believe Model 3 does have dynamic speed-sensitive volume adjustment, there just is no longer an interface to enable/disable it.

Here's a picture of the release notes when it was made always-on:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/4a784667-f1ab-4b26-b60a-e0c0037ede7f-png.284028/

Difference is that all the other cars had gas engines that make more and more noise as they go faster. Hardly an issue here.
Road noise is louder but very dependent on the road surface.
Music volume seems to work fine in my car and drops then the nav talks, when the door opens etc

Last edited:
Besides road conditions, wind noise is also a factor.

Speed-sensitive volume control has been around since the dark ages (60's?)...

No doubt with millions of potential customers, there are millions of those who are hearing impaired in one way or another. Thus, it wouldn't hurt for TSLA to include an adjustable option in PUP; its only software. For simplicity, they could just limit it to 'low, medium, high' boost.

I believe Model 3 does have dynamic speed-sensitive volume adjustment, there just is no longer an interface to enable/disable it.

Here's a picture of the release notes when it was made always-on:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/4a784667-f1ab-4b26-b60a-e0c0037ede7f-png.284028/
Read my post #6 were I prove it DOSN'T. Pleaser feel free to offer proof it does but I have shown it doesn't at least in my Model 3. If if DID work it has been removed for some reason. Maybe it is a bug that removed by accident and not known but it is NOT there. My test is conclusive.
Why no Dynamic Speed Sensitive Volume Control???

Difference is that all the other cars had gas engines that make more and more noise as they go faster. Hardly an issue here.
Road noise is louder but very dependent on the road surface.,,,,
Engine noise is almost never a factor at 70 to 80MPH. It is wind/road noise. I will measure today but bet the noise floor will be about 70dB at 80MPH on a smooth Interstate surface and and is comparable with most newer premium cars. This is why I choose 80dB white noise as my test level. Will post back later today.

Last edited: