Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would someone choose a Polestar 2 over a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article says the specs are similar to Model 3's, but i did not see any numbers about vehicle dimensions -- height, length, width, interior dimensions, etc. Did I miss those somewhere? To my eye, the interior looked nicer than the Model 3's, and if it turns out to be more spacious and/or more more comfortable, that could be a big draw for the car over the Model 3.

I don't have the numbers at hand, but the Polestar 2 is both shorter and narrower than the Model 3. I think it was about 1-3 inches for both dimensions. Kinda interesting considering the Tesla is already a small car (at least by US standards), but I guess when your powertrain isn't as cutting edge you gotta make cuts somewhere!

Does it bother you then that Tesla knows your whereabouts at all times when you're driving the vehicle? No hiding from that.

No, because unlike Google, Tesla is not making any money from advertising. Google's customers are not consumers like you and I. If anything Google should be paying the consumer to allow their OS integration. I feel the same about their phone OS.

Bumping this instead of starting a new thread.....

MY forum poster here (planning to buy a MY later this year).....

Got an invite to test drive a Polestart 2, which I am going to do on Thursday, in NYC. Did not read through all of the posts here but since the P2 is just becoming available, I assume no one here has driven one. I've driven a M3 as well as a MY so will post my impressions of the Polestar here after I drive - in case anyone is interested! ;-)

Bumping this instead of starting a new thread.....

MY forum poster here (planning to buy a MY later this year).....

Got an invite to test drive a Polestart 2, which I am going to do on Thursday, in NYC. Did not read through all of the posts here but since the P2 is just becoming available, I assume no one here has driven one. I've driven a M3 as well as a MY so will post my impressions of the Polestar here after I drive - in case anyone is interested! ;-)

That would be much appreciated. It looks like a fantastic car from all the reviews i've seen. Better fit and finish and Android (not Android auto or Carplay) is powering their in-dash system. Range isn't all that great and its not fast but those that like better interiors and value fit/finish may find the car a better fit.

Reactions: BlindPass
It is a real competitor in Europe, where it is priced identically to the M3LR.
In the US, it is priced more like the M3P (I guess due to tariffs), which makes the LR a much better buy, especially when you consider the lack of supercharger network and service availability.

from USA Today...
"The company expects to sell about 2,000 2s in the U.S. through four outlets this year. It plans to have 10 U.S. dealers by mid-2021 and about 30 U.S. dealers by the end of 2023. Polestar aims for around 50,000 sales a year eventually, probably with four or five models."

Surprising that they are aiming so low...

I know at least a few people that think Model 3's interior is just boring and doesn't look great, so I could see them enjoying the P2's interior quite a bit more. I think their tan interior is pretty sharp looking, and I really like the Google Assistant integration.

Main detractors for me right now are that grill on the nose, the boring color palette for exterior colors, lack of details on charging infrastructure, and the price, range, and performance are all subpar when compared to Model 3. Then of course there is the question of how reliable their batteries will be. All that said I think it'll do well enough, but kind of doubt Model 3 has much to worry about.
Still, mechanical adjustable steering wheel, manual adjusting shock absorbers, smaller rear seats and the list goes on.

I personally wouldn't choose it over the Model 3, but there are plenty of reasons to;

1. Volvo build quality is generally excellent. Expect a car with better paint and fewer cosmetic defects than Model 3. Ditto for squeaks/rattles/missing-parts/etc.

2. Volvo has a tiny dealer network by US standards but they have an enormous dealer network by Tesla standards. Especially in Europe.

3. Interior styling looks like it could be superior to what Tesla is offering, with better materials that exude more luxury.

4. Ditto on seats. Volvo is known for having some of (if not the very best) seats and ergonomics in the auto industry.

5. Since it's built by a Swedish company I think it's a pretty fair bet it won't have cold weather teething problems that Model 3 has with sticking door handles, sticking door seals, frozen charge ports, etc.

6. Tax credits (at least theoretically).

7. Leasing... from day one. You can expect Volvo to subsidize these leases to some extent as well which means phenomenal deals for customers. Volvo is trying to shift their entire sales model to a leasing model and that will really be at the forefront with Polestar 2.

In every other area Tesla pretty much kills it. Tesla also built in USA and Polestar 2 will only be built in China, so screw that.
The reviews states they were disappointed in that they did not have Volvo quality seats. This is not a Volvo, it’s a different division which the cars are made in China.