Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would someone choose a Polestar 2 over a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
from USA Today...
"The company expects to sell about 2,000 2s in the U.S. through four outlets this year. It plans to have 10 U.S. dealers by mid-2021 and about 30 U.S. dealers by the end of 2023. Polestar aims for around 50,000 sales a year eventually, probably with four or five models."

Surprising that they are aiming so low...
50,000/ year in the US or overall?

50,000/year in just the US would be huge for Polestar for a 60k car. There’s been many years in which Volvo total sales was less, although that’s gone up as they offer more SUVs.

50,000/ year in the US or overall?

50,000/year in just the US would be huge for Polestar for a 60k car. There’s been many years in which Volvo total sales was less, although that’s gone up as they offer more SUVs.
I suppose, although they wouldn't all be $60K cars, stated 4-5 models, and "eventually 50K/year". Tesla did 200K last year, so Polestar "eventually" selling only 1/4 of what Tesla did last year, isn't that impressive...

I suppose, although they wouldn't all be $60K cars, stated 4-5 models, and "eventually 50K/year". Tesla did 200K last year, so Polestar "eventually" selling only 1/4 of what Tesla did last year, isn't that impressive...
In 2017, Chevy Bolt sold 23k units, decreasing in 2018 to 18k, and again in 2019 to 16k
Audi eTron, near as I can tell, sold about 5k units in 2019, its first year, starting in April.
Nissan Leaf sold 12k units in 2019.
Volvo in the US is a niche brand, selling only 108k units in 2019.

Against those figures, I think selling 50k Polestar 2 per year in the US would be excellent performance.

It’s very impressive given it’s a spinoff of a manufacturer that until recently didn’t sell much more than that in total US sales. Some brands focus on quality and profit margin, not quantity and hype.

Volvo in the US is a niche brand, selling only 108k units in 2019.

Against those figures, I think selling 50k Polestar 2 per year in the US would be excellent performance.
Ok, although that is not what the report says. It says 2K Polestar 2's in 2020, and EVENTUALLY 50K/yr Polestars total spread over 4-5 models, not just Polestar 2's. Citing Volvo's niche numbers, you're implying that Volvo doesn't seek to increase their overall market share by much if any...

• Disagree
Reactions: BlindPass
I personally wouldn't choose it over the Model 3, but there are plenty of reasons to;

1. Volvo build quality is generally excellent. Expect a car with better paint and fewer cosmetic defects than Model 3. Ditto for squeaks/rattles/missing-parts/etc.

2. Volvo has a tiny dealer network by US standards but they have an enormous dealer network by Tesla standards. Especially in Europe.

3. Interior styling looks like it could be superior to what Tesla is offering, with better materials that exude more luxury.

4. Ditto on seats. Volvo is known for having some of (if not the very best) seats and ergonomics in the auto industry.

5. Since it's built by a Swedish company I think it's a pretty fair bet it won't have cold weather teething problems that Model 3 has with sticking door handles, sticking door seals, frozen charge ports, etc.

6. Tax credits (at least theoretically).

7. Leasing... from day one. You can expect Volvo to subsidize these leases to some extent as well which means phenomenal deals for customers. Volvo is trying to shift their entire sales model to a leasing model and that will really be at the forefront with Polestar 2.

In every other area Tesla pretty much kills it. Tesla also built in USA and Polestar 2 will only be built in China, so screw that.
I have only owned one Volvo and I loved the seats and the very solid feel of the car. I did learn however why Volvos last hundreds of thousands of miles, it is because you basically will have a new car by that time, you will have had to replace every single part and at great cost! Somehow though, even with the reliability issues and the constant trips to the shop I still think fondly of that vehicle.

I did my test drive of the Polestar 2 in NYC yesterday... I did like the car but wouldn't buy one. Putting together a longer write-up that I will link here, but the Pros / Cons are -

Pros -

- Instruments in front of driver
- (Perceived) quality of the interior
- Styling, both interior and exterior and cool shifter
- Heated steering wheel

Cons -

- Visibility esp to the rear
- Range (rated 275 vs 316 for MY)
- Interior space
- Awkward access to rear seat
- Price ($59,900 MSRP means no NJ $5k BEV rebate)
- No Tesla Supercharger network

It drove well and rode better than the Model Y I test drove (although that was a Perf model so...). Very quiet inside in a very busy environment - kept most traffic noise from coming in (and NYC traffic is about 90% of pre-Covid levels). But not very roomy inside, rear seat access is awkward due to the wheel well intrusion and outward visibility is only ok (and terrible to the rear). But the interior is really nice, feels high-quality and having a navi screen in front of you is good. Car is actually smaller than it looks in pictures.

Polestar2-00.jpeg

Polestar2-01.jpeg

Polestar-02.jpeg

Polestar2-03.jpeg

Meh. Polestar has always been 2nd rate compared to M/AMG/RS. Sounds like nothings changed.
Nothing’s changed? What EV sedan of those badges is better?

I’m anxiously awaiting the E-Tron GT, but I’ve recently driven models of all of those, and I’m guessing the Polestar 2 is better than most M/AMG/RS. You’ll need to double the price to beat it, which if you think that’s a win for those badges, meh indeed.

Until those have comparably priced makes that can compete, I wouldn’t say nothing has changed. The GT should be marginally better, but 50% more.

DanDi58, thanks for posting the pictures and your first impression.

I own a Volvo XC70 in additon to my 3, was really looking forward to checking out the P2. But I doubt I would buy one. Lack of integrated charging network aka Supercharger is one main reason I will pass on the P2. Hatchback is a major plus. Range is a negative. At this point I plan on keeping my 3 until the Cybertruck arrives...or tri-motor S. I really dislike buttons, knobs, switches....nothing like using voice command to "turn on rear defroster" (as I did yesterday in a rain storm), etc. Tesla user interface for the win!

Reactions: DanDi58
Nothing’s changed? What EV sedan of those badges is better?

I’m anxiously awaiting the E-Tron GT, but I’ve recently driven models of all of those, and I’m guessing the Polestar 2 is better than most M/AMG/RS. You’ll need to double the price to beat it, which if you think that’s a win for those badges, meh indeed.

Until those have comparably priced makes that can compete, I wouldn’t say nothing has changed. The GT should be marginally better, but 50% more.

I was referring to when Polestar competed in the ICE markets, it was 2nd rate to the M/AMG/RS brands. Those badges don't have an EV yet so I wasn't comparing them now. Right now, it seems 2nd rate to the Tesla Performance badge. Its priced higher than the Model 3 too.

I was referring to when Polestar competed in the ICE markets, it was 2nd rate to the M/AMG/RS brands. Those badges don't have an EV yet so I wasn't comparing them now. Right now, it seems 2nd rate to the Tesla Performance badge. Its priced higher than the Model 3 too.
I disagree it seems 2nd rate to my Model 3, which feels cheap outside of the acceleration. Noisy, average at best ride quality, cheap interior and HMI. The Polestar 2 is not priced higher than the 69k it took me to get the better acceleration. Let’s see if Polestar also gains economies of scale on EVs

Geely is taking advantage of Volvo and it's subsidiary brand Polestar to market an EV designed and manufactured by Geely. Don't be fooled by these design teams from Sweden, they are just a front. The car ain't no Volvo.

I haven't kept up with Volvo since they were sold to Geely, but I believe Volvo cars are still made in Sweden by the original Volvo manufacturing team. That is a distinct difference from a car made by Geely in China marketed as a sub brand of Volvo.

*I* personally wouldn't touch or even consider that car. I wish people would really research and understand what's behind this brand.

Geely is taking advantage of Volvo and it's subsidiary brand Polestar to market an EV designed and manufactured by Geely. Don't be fooled by these design teams from Sweden, they are just a front. The car ain't no Volvo.

I haven't kept up with Volvo since they were sold to Geely, but I believe Volvo cars are still made in Sweden by the original Volvo manufacturing team. That is a distinct difference from a car made by Geely in China marketed as a sub brand of Volvo.

*I* personally wouldn't touch or even consider that car. I wish people would really research and understand what's behind this brand.
You should take your own advice and do research and understand. After all, you admitted to not keeping up with Volvo.

The Polestar 2 is on the same Compact Modular Architecture as the XC40, co-designed by Volvo and Geely. The XC40 is made in both China and Belgium.

While the larger cars are on the more “pure” Volvo Scalable Product Architecture, the S90 is made in Volvo Cars' plant in Daqing, while the XC60 is from its factory in Chengdu. Volvo was the first Western carmaker to export a China-made premium model to the United States back in 2015.
Volvo has factories in Torslanda, Sweden; Ridgeville, South Carolina in the U.S.; and in Chengdu and Daqing, China, which all build the larger cars based on the Scalable Product Architecture.

The XC40 Recharge, again, which shares architecture with Polestar 2, will be made in Belgium. The eventual XC90 EV likely in South Carolina.

Your ignorance has you outdated. You’ll need to get used to China being a player in the global design, production, and ownership of all kinds of consumer products. Cars have been one of the last of those, if we ignore many of the sub-components that go into them long being made in China, but soon many cars will be made there.

European brands and Tesla are starting to have China production, and China capital is going to make them a leader in EVs in particular.

Reactions: adys123 and RobRain