Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife just said she's never driving the Tesla again......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
.....and she said she'd veto any future purchase and that she's done with electric cars.

We swapped cars tonight and she took the Tesla home and I took her Lexus and stayed at work in the Bay Area. She stopped in Manteca to charge. Pulled into 1A and only got 29 amps(about 10KW). After about 5 minutes she moved to 3B and got 129 amps(about 45KW) at 20% SOC(should have been at least 113KW).

She was the only one at the location. No other Tesla was charging.

I called Tesla while she was charging slow and was told they already know about this and that 1 and 3 are operating at reduced capacity. Manteca has been like this for months and it kills me that I didn't send her south through Gilroy instead. I just figured they'd have had this fixed by now. Big mistake.

When it's just me, it's no big deal. If I need to move 1 or 2 times to get a stall with a decent charge rate, I'll do it. But this is not something she's willing to put up with. I guess I can't blame her. It's a big bummer because I can't really give her a good argument as to why this should be acceptable. She called it a stupid $100K car again :(

What's worse is that Tesla already knows about this and isn't telling customers to prefer known good stalls over known bad stalls. In this case, an entirely different route was just about as fast and had we/she known, could have gone an entirely different way.

I will swap you my wife's 2011 prius for the Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow
I have seen those "slow charging" threads, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried to determine if there's a correlation between those and the SpCs that are most often clogged by locals snagging freebies.

I don't know if it's the case one way or another, but it does appear a significant majority of them are in the more densely populated (people AND Teslas) Californian locations.

IF that's the case, it could be TM trying to wean locals off SpCs - and that might, or might not, mean that a car recognized as non-local by the SpC gets the traditional, more rapid, rate.

This happened to me in my ICE years ago and it was a far more annoying experience. The pump was trickling the petrol in, it took me a while to realise that other cars were coming and going around me and i was still standing there waiting to fill. I have a 100l tank and i was basically empty so i was expecting to take a while. When i clued in, by looking at the meter ticking over slowly, i had 2 options, keep going on the bad pump or move. To move i would need to go in, pay for what had pumped, come back out and drive to a new stall and pump again and go in and pay again.

I went option 2, because i also got the attendant to come out and put a sign on the faulty pump.

My point being that as this wasnt the first time i'd filled up i knew it was unusual and i didnt go bananas about it but what if the second stall did the same? What if that was the only station i could use and i had no other options? What if i had never driven that car before and my husband said to me, oh yeah it happens a lot, you just keep moving till you find a good one?? wTF? If i had the option to drive an alternative energy car that never did that to me, i might have had the same reaction.

She will come around in time, when the technology is more accepted and mainstream and there are more charging alternatives.

As an early adopter ive put up with lots of family humiliation, nice mobile phone, why isnt it working, oh we must be in a black spot i explain. Whats the use of that then? Says family. What a waste of money you fool.

Funny you mention that. My Gen II prius (2005) has a anti siphon trap that causes the pump to shut off if the fill rate is too fast. At some places I can put the handle 4 clicks in and let it hold and it'll stay pumping, others I can't go past one or two clicks. End result is I have to fill the gas tank on my Prius slower than the guy next to me at the gas station quite often.

I don't miss having to put gas in. My wife is driving the Prius and I'm driving the Leaf (and luckily we only get gas for it once every 2-4 weeks).

• Informative
Reactions: *KT* and bmah
This is a very strange thread... I don't know what I'd do if my wife wasn't supportive of Tesla and I had to fight this type of short sighted BS...

I'd probably find another wife as I expect, at least in my world anyways, that Tesla enthusiasm wasn't the only passion we didn't share... Granted, I am NOT saying in ANY way that the OP or ANY other member should get rid of their significant other over a car or a car company, just want to be VERY clear on that.

Jeff
You're married?

This thread exhibits an unfortunate number of misogynistic posts. Here are just some examples. If you think you are being unfairly accused, I obviously do not agree. I'm saying think about what you are writing and how it can be perceived. (For the record, I am male).
Should your wife relax about her rich person inconvenience whining? Absolutely. If my wife pulled such a stunt and failed to understand the amazing benefits of the Tesla (autopilot, smooth quiet handling, etc.) I'd set her attitude straight right quick...
Sounds like you have a proper diva on your hands, if she can't do that.
She sounds like the typical woman to me. My wife would take they ice long before having to deal with super charging.

@ecarfan - while of course I am biased on this one, I would agree that the last quote in your series is offensive (it stereotypes a group of people who have suffered oppression historically at the hands of men) but the first two are not.

"Diva" is meant as an insult but it is not misogynistic IMHO - it attacks the individual but not the category to which the individual belongs. Unfair insult? Perhaps.

My post - I clearly am saying I think his wife is entitled, silly, shallow, etc. - but I don't think I am saying anything against women as a group here unless you mean "...set her straight right quick" is misogynistic. For the record I do not have a wife - I have a girlfriend - and my girlfriend "sets me straight" all the time but I don't find it anti-male that she does.

Anyway you're a reasonable guy and I have no quarrel with you.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
My wife was the one who thought of Tesla when our Jaguar was getting worn out, I would likely not have thought of it. Around town she refuses to drive our S now, it just feels too big to her [she much prefers the ICE Mini around town (modern Mini, not 1960's :) )]

But she'll share the freeway driving to Santa Barbara, so that's nice.

We
Another bugbear of my wife's which i am sympathetic with.

"Why does the dash not show predicted range?" (Yeh, she knows she can call up the energy screen and see it there but "Why should I have to fiddle around like that, just show me the range based on last 30 miles driving ON THE DASHBOARD"), Rated or typical miles is useless to her.

I tried Percent for a while. She hated that !! ("But darling, just multiple by 2 and that will give you miles if you drive like a Loon, and multiple by 2.5 if you are prepared to drive home "carefully" ") ... nope, I got zero traction (Sorry!) with that approach ...

We don't have a Tesla yet, but I can definitely hear my wife saying this.

About the "predicted remaining" option, we test drove an X a couple weeks ago and seem to remember a way to show % or remaining miles show on the dash when we changed something in Settings.

I'm not sure which option I prefer yet.

This thread is just ridiculous. Wife refuses to drive a Tesla or any EV ever again because of one bad charging experience? I maybe could understand not wanting to drive it on a longer road trip, but refuse to drive it entirely when 200 miles (at least) of range should cover any incidentals on a daily basis? Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Hell, I drove a Leaf for three years, which has at best half of the range of the lowest Tesla, and had absolutely zero issues and loved never, ever having to go to a gas station or wait in the horde of cars at my local Costco for gas. Plus she drives off with the gas hose multiple times, and has tried to do so at least once with the charging cable still connected to the Tesla? Huh. I'm sure Sorka's wife is overall a lovely person, but she seems pretty irrational about EVs specifically.

Reactions: neroden
Where do you put the gas in the Leaf?

Try reading the whole post.

My Gen II prius (2005) has a anti siphon trap that causes the pump to shut off if the fill rate is too fast. At some places I can put the handle 4 clicks in and let it hold and it'll stay pumping, others I can't go past one or two clicks. End result is I have to fill the gas tank on my Prius slower than the guy next to me at the gas station quite often.

I don't miss having to put gas in. My wife is driving the Prius and I'm driving the Leaf (and luckily we only get gas for it once every 2-4 weeks).

Status
Not open for further replies.