Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife just said she's never driving the Tesla again......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You really shouldn't be making idiotic classest assumptions about people just because they don't want to wait 4 hours to charge instead of 2 minutes to fill up.

The hoses are designed to break away without damage which is what happens most of the time. My wife is an expert at doing this. She's done it 4 times :oops:
So what assumptions are we to make based on that post?

The hoses are designed to break away without damage which is what happens most of the time. My wife is an expert at doing this. She's done it 4 times :oops: The first 3 times the stations charged here anywhere from $0 to $50 because only the breakaway device was broken. However, the last time, they tried to charge her $300. She called me asking what she should do. Sensing a scam, I told her to pay nothing and give them her insurance information and that the station could pursue this through insurance. They then changed their tune and said if she paid $50 on the spot, they'd call it even. I told her to do as long as she got a receipt saying the damage was paid for in full with that which they did.

She's forgotten to take out the gas hose four times, costing her and you fifty bucks per incident and I'm sure more than her fair share of embarrassment, and she almost got scammed for 250 more, and she's done with EVs after just one bad (and I wouldn't even characterize it as bad, just annoying) charging experience? Ok. Maybe point out to her that she tried to drive away without unplugging the car AGAIN, but the Tesla, like every other EV on the market today, saved her from herself from what's apparently a fairly common occurrence with her.

EVs are great. Charge at home and wake up every morning with a full tank. Never have to worry about looking down one day and realizing you're almost out of gas and have to scramble to find the closest gas station with a nervous pit in your stomach (which happened to me far more regularly than I'd care to admit). Ad they're quieter, smoother, and more pleasant to drive to boot. I can't fathom refusing to drive an EV ever again because of one bad experience, especially since it sounds like you guys have more than one car. Just use the ICE car for longer range trips when your wife is with you, and why would she care if you're the one driving the Tesla for your insanely long commute?

In the end, this thread says more about the OP's wife than it does about EVs.

The commonality between spouses and EVs is interesting. Both have trade offs, and are largely about what you are willing to tolerate long term. Some people would rather wait thirty minutes at a SC than continue contributing to global warming. Others would rather stick to known evils than the unknown. Tesla fans are willing to make the leap if the car is fast enough and the doors cool enough, even if it's high maintenance. Perhaps in the end we cannot have both a high maintenance spouse and a high maintenance car?

This isn't right. If you notice it's not charging at the expected speed, move to another one. Why complain about this, especially when Tesla said that chargers 1 and 3 are degraded? Just move it to charger #2 and get on with your life. Sheesh!

By the time they told me that over the phone, she'd put up with a super slow charge just long enough to get the range to get home.
My wife is not going to put up with having to swap chargers.

In the end, this thread says more about the OP's wife than it does about EVs.

Quite true. She's like most of the population. If Tesla wants folks like my wife to accept EVs they're going to have to keep the infrastructure working. My wife is perfectly happy to wait 30 minutes for 170 miles of range but she isn't willing to wait 6 hours(which is what it would have taken at 10kw) nor is she willing to keep moving and hunting for stalls(which is only an option at a non crowded supercharger anyways).

I'm willing to stall hunt but I can't expect her to do so. I can't give her any good reason. Heck even from an environmental standpoint, she's pretty much got it covered as she's perfectly happy to drive a Prius which gets 50 MPG.

By the time they told me that over the phone, she'd put up with a super slow charge just long enough to get the range to get home.
My wife is not going to put up with having to swap chargers.

It takes less than a minute to see how fast the car is charging, identify it's to slow, then move to another spot. Sounds like you have a proper diva on your hands, if she can't do that. She'd rather wait for a slow charge than spend a minute moving the car over one spot?

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
It takes less than a minute to see how fast the car is charging, identify it's to slow, then move to another spot. Sounds like you have a proper diva on your hands, if she can't do that. She'd rather wait for a slow charge than spend a minute moving the car over one spot?

You can try and make all the excuses for Tesla that you want, but if she's a Diva, then most of the population is too. And it doesn't take a minute. It can take a good 2 or 3 minutes for the charger rate to sort out and stabilize. Sometimes it won't charge very high at first but then climbs after a few minutes only to drop right back down again. Sometimes it starts out initially high, like it did in her case but then dropped back down to almost nothing. She thought it was fine because it was charging fine for the first minute. She didn't notice. Is she constantly supposed to look?. I did because I was watching on VT and noticed that the rate dropped. I then called her to tell her to switch to a different stall. She hadn't realized it had slowed to a crawl. She switched. This one went to to a normal charge rate but backed off to about half of normal after a minute. I then called Tesla where they informed me that 1 and 3 were severely disabled and they already knew about it and suggested any other stall would be fine.

In this case, she only needed enough range to drive 60 miles. It was originally only going to take her 5 minutes to charge enough and to have a 20 mile or so buffer. She was there for 20 minutes instead. This was at midnight in a dark isolated part of a parking lot that has seen a recent spree of car break ins recently. If she was on a long trip and needed an actual 170+ miles of range, she'd have gotten out do do a bathroom break and get drinks or whatever. She's not going to be pulling out the app every few minutes to make sure the car is still charging like it's supposed to. She's going to leave it and trust that she'll have enough juice in 20 or 30 minutes to get to the next stop. She's not even going to see the smartphone notification that she has enough juice to make to the next stop because the Android app STILL doesn't have audible notifications which is totally nuts.

The only people who are going to watch the charge rate like a hawk every minute or so are OCD people like me. It's people like me that are most likely to buy a Tesla for the "adventure" of it all as long as it isn't too inconvenient. People like my wife would never buy one until it becomes as convenient as owning a gasoline car. Period. It's a shame because it doesn't have to be that way but Teslas failing supercharger infrastructure is driving it in that direction.

Your attitude is one of ultimate enablement for Tesla to just shine on the issues and not actually fix them despite several long time and well respected members of this forum stating in this thread that they too will not be purchasing a future Tesla for this very reason.

Tesla needs to fix the issues quickly and not have folks making excuses for them if this is going to go mainstream. Look what happened to her sisters's attitude. She's been all for the idea of it for it ever since we got it but the first time that she was in the Tesla on a trip herself with my wife and they had to deal with this, she was totally put off by it. I got a dozen jabs at Thanksgiving from her relatives joking about their charging misadventure and how they're glad they don't have to deal with that. Great PR. Makes me want to short the stock.

Last edited:
My wife isn't a tech or car person, and she knows when the car is charging slower than expected. She'll do the obvious thing and move over one space. We aren't OCD about this, but don't want to waste time with a slow charge. Saying the general population is going to have a hissy fit in this situation and completely turn them off to EVs, is nonsense.

And the Android app does audible notifications for "almost done charging" and "completed charging, move your car" for Supercharging along with "Charge interruptions", "Software update" and "Update complete" Maybe you have these notifications turned off?

Maybe owning this car for three years has gotten us used to paying attention to these kinds of things. It doesn't take long to teach someone to care, though.

Reactions: neroden
I agree that Tesla needs to turn its attention more than just profit-making because they are catering to a more demanding population. People buy a Tesla and expect luxury service. I think Tesla is losing some of that high end service and it will harm their sterling brand. Hopefully it is momentary as they sew up the SolarCity merger and begin production of the 3.

Reactions: sorka
the 1st time realizes the car doesnt do what she expects when she lets off the gas i'm never going to hear the end of it
This is exactly what I fear the first time my wife drives the Model 3. I will have to remember to set regen to low, and creep to on. That is, if she ever drives it, as she has already vowed not to on more than one occasion. :eek: This thread at least makes me know I'm not alone. :(

This happened to me in my ICE years ago and it was a far more annoying experience. The pump was trickling the petrol in, it took me a while to realise that other cars were coming and going around me and i was still standing there waiting to fill. I have a 100l tank and i was basically empty so i was expecting to take a while. When i clued in, by looking at the meter ticking over slowly, i had 2 options, keep going on the bad pump or move. To move i would need to go in, pay for what had pumped, come back out and drive to a new stall and pump again and go in and pay again.

I went option 2, because i also got the attendant to come out and put a sign on the faulty pump.

My point being that as this wasnt the first time i'd filled up i knew it was unusual and i didnt go bananas about it but what if the second stall did the same? What if that was the only station i could use and i had no other options? What if i had never driven that car before and my husband said to me, oh yeah it happens a lot, you just keep moving till you find a good one?? wTF? If i had the option to drive an alternative energy car that never did that to me, i might have had the same reaction.

She will come around in time, when the technology is more accepted and mainstream and there are more charging alternatives.

As an early adopter ive put up with lots of family humiliation, nice mobile phone, why isnt it working, oh we must be in a black spot i explain. Whats the use of that then? Says family. What a waste of money you fool.

This is exactly what I fear the first time my wife drives the Model 3. I will have to remember to set regen to low, and creep to on. That is, if she ever drives it, as she has already vowed not to on more than one occasion. :eek: This thread at least makes me know I'm not alone. :(

Those are settings that are profile specific. That said, it's hard enough to get my wife to remember to even change the profile to hers. She's more inclined to adjust the seats and mirrors to how she wants it rather than pressing my name at the top of the screen and selecting hers :(

This is a very strange thread... I don't know what I'd do if my wife wasn't supportive of Tesla and I had to fight this type of short sighted BS...

I'd probably find another wife as I expect, at least in my world anyways, that Tesla enthusiasm wasn't the only passion we didn't share... Granted, I am NOT saying in ANY way that the OP or ANY other member should get rid of their significant other over a car or a car company, just want to be VERY clear on that.

Jeff

You can try and make all the excuses for Tesla that you want, but if she's a Diva, then most of the population is too. And it doesn't take a minute. It can take a good 2 or 3 minutes for the charger rate to sort out and stabilize. Sometimes it won't charge very high at first but then climbs after a few minutes only to drop right back down again. Sometimes it starts out initially high, like it did in her case but then dropped back down to almost nothing. She thought it was fine because it was charging fine for the first minute. She didn't notice. Is she constantly supposed to look?. I did because I was watching on VT and noticed that the rate dropped. I then called her to tell her to switch to a different stall. She hadn't realized it had slowed to a crawl. She switched. This one went to to a normal charge rate but backed off to about half of normal after a minute. I then called Tesla where they informed me that 1 and 3 were severely disabled and they already knew about it and suggested any other stall would be fine.

In this case, she only needed enough range to drive 60 miles. It was originally only going to take her 5 minutes to charge enough and to have a 20 mile or so buffer. She was there for 20 minutes instead. This was at midnight in a dark isolated part of a parking lot that has seen a recent spree of car break ins recently. If she was on a long trip and needed an actual 170+ miles of range, she'd have gotten out do do a bathroom break and get drinks or whatever. She's not going to be pulling out the app every few minutes to make sure the car is still charging like it's supposed to. She's going to leave it and trust that she'll have enough juice in 20 or 30 minutes to get to the next stop. She's not even going to see the smartphone notification that she has enough juice to make to the next stop because the Android app STILL doesn't have audible notifications which is totally nuts.

The only people who are going to watch the charge rate like a hawk every minute or so are OCD people like me. It's people like me that are most likely to buy a Tesla for the "adventure" of it all as long as it isn't too inconvenient. People like my wife would never buy one until it becomes as convenient as owning a gasoline car. Period. It's a shame because it doesn't have to be that way but Teslas failing supercharger infrastructure is driving it in that direction.

Your attitude is one of ultimate enablement for Tesla to just shine on the issues and not actually fix them despite several long time and well respected members of this forum stating in this thread that they too will not be purchasing a future Tesla for this very reason.

Tesla needs to fix the issues quickly and not have folks making excuses for them if this is going to go mainstream. Look what happened to her sisters's attitude. She's been all for the idea of it for it ever since we got it but the first time that she was in the Tesla on a trip herself with my wife and they had to deal with this, she was totally put off by it. I got a dozen jabs at Thanksgiving from her relatives joking about their charging misadventure and how they're glad they don't have to deal with that. Great PR. Makes me want to short the stock.

Calm down a bit... By your own admission your wife has driven off FOUR times with the gas pump still in the car... I have never heard of that happening one time in my life to anyone I know... Perhaps the criticism of your wife is unfair but trying to cast her as the "average Jane" is disingenuous at best...

Your last paragraph is telling... Very, very telling... Disturbing actually...

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.