Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will/Can Plaid Prices go lower? (Considering ordering,, or wait?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this your first Tesla? it sure looks that way. Tesla does not follow the same legacy automaker “model year” pattern … look it up.

Your first mistake was getting the car with the yoke, i.e. nobody wants that, forum members taking delivery recently were told by Tesla staff that 9 out of 10 cars had the traditional steering wheel.

Selling any Tesla with a yoke will be just as hard as selling a car with Carfax accident reported.

As per countless threads, the price may go up? down? who knows? and by how much? nobody knows.

I agree that its probably not worth waiting for the 24 model year version. I don't think with Tesla it matters much.

If you believe in the rumors of a refresh or if you think Tesla will drop the price more, that's different. Personally, after looking for a few months (and looking at a Lucid and BMW), I jumped on the $89k plaid on day one. I can go over all the details on why I am choosing the M3P over competitors, but quite frankly its value for the money and the SC network. All the cars I looked at were amazing for different reasons. I could understand why anyone would buy each of them. But, I need the SC network. I don't really care about the most likely refresh items. Certainly, not enough to wait for the hope of them. As for any price drops. Who knows? I just can't believe they will be significant and the current price is fantastic. So, I am all in and excited to get mine sometime over the next couple of weeks.

As for the yoke, personally, I disagree with the above poster. Yes, the data could be correct, but if you love the yoke, then I would go for it. I would not want to buy a car and get features to 100% maximize resale value. If you are counting a few dollars more for resale and that's a big deal to you, maybe you should reconsider purchasing a 90-100k car. But, that's me. Personally, I didn't like the yoke, so I went with the steering wheel. But, if I liked the yoke, I would have zero issues doing it.

I agree that its probably not worth waiting for the 24 model year version. I don't think with Tesla it matters much.

If you believe in the rumors of a refresh or if you think Tesla will drop the price more, that's different. Personally, after looking for a few months (and looking at a Lucid and BMW), I jumped on the $89k plaid on day one. I can go over all the details on why I am choosing the M3P over competitors, but quite frankly its value for the money and the SC network. All the cars I looked at were amazing for different reasons. I could understand why anyone would buy each of them. But, I need the SC network. I don't really care about the most likely refresh items. Certainly, not enough to wait for the hope of them. As for any price drops. Who knows? I just can't believe they will be significant and the current price is fantastic. So, I am all in and excited to get mine sometime over the next couple of weeks.

As for the yoke, personally, I disagree with the above poster. Yes, the data could be correct, but if you love the yoke, then I would go for it. I would not want to buy a car and get features to 100% maximize resale value. If you are counting a few dollars more for resale and that's a big deal to you, maybe you should reconsider purchasing a 90-100k car. But, that's me. Personally, I didn't like the yoke, so I went with the steering wheel. But, if I liked the yoke, I would have zero issues doing it.

And you can always spend the money later to get the yoke replaced with a steering wheel. It's just different, that's all. You don't know what the future holds. They may be coveted someday. It's like saying buying a manual transmission is going to kill resale value because 95% of people want an automatic. Guess what transmissions are coveted now...

If people care about resale value, buy used or lease.

Maybe the prices of the plaid won’t come down much further but I could see where steer by wire comes out along with another exterior update in a few years and that will hurt resale of the current version. Tesla is (almost) always improving their vehicles.

About the yoke, I drove both and immediately liked the yoke, but I can see it's not for everyone. For me the yoke makes the car that much more special, more of a Tesla experience. I can have the yoke changed to a wheel later if needed.

Yes it is my first Tesla, and new to the forum but I've been following along for a while. As far as model year is concerned, a few years from now, all things equal, mileage etc, a '24 will have more value than a '23, Tesla or not.

Thanks for all the replies.

About the yoke, I drove both and immediately liked the yoke, but I can see it's not for everyone. For me the yoke makes the car that much more special, more of a Tesla experience. I can have the yoke changed to a wheel later if needed.

Yes it is my first Tesla, and new to the forum but I've been following along for a while. As far as model year is concerned, a few years from now, all things equal, mileage etc, a '24 will have more value than a '23, Tesla or not.

Thanks for all the replies.
Yeah I wouldn’t read to much into the yoke fears. The ones that don’t like it complain and post. The masses love it and spend little time writing about it. I picked up a MSP last month with yoke and love it. May even consider converting our MYP to similar. Much nicer to drive and comfortable. 98% of driving doesn’t require U turns so minimal at best a learning curve. Simply love this MSP.

Looks like used market is softening up too. Can find used plaids for under $80k
That's what has me looking for a Plaid now. I plan on having it for a while so my only "want" is HW4 hardware, which is becoming its own rabbit hole for me already. I believe as long as I get a "2023" model Plaid, it will have it. Trying to get it for around 90K, and that actually seems doable now. If the stars align, I'd like to trade me 21' Charger Redeye Hellcat Widebody in to save on taxes. I think that may be wishful thinking though. We'll see.

That's what has me looking for a Plaid now. I plan on having it for a while so my only "want" is HW4 hardware, which is becoming its own rabbit hole for me already. I believe as long as I get a "2023" model Plaid, it will have it. Trying to get it for around 90K, and that actually seems doable now. If the stars align, I'd like to trade me 21' Charger Redeye Hellcat Widebody in to save on taxes. I think that may be wishful thinking though. We'll see.
What has hardware 4 done for anyone besides better camera resolution, and FSD delays?

Reactions: ucmndd and StevenSD
When test driving with the yoke, I really liked it. Well, it was the look and feel that was amazing. The view of the dash and interior I felt was hugely improved.

However, I ended up getting the wheel for mine because I like to hold one hand at 12 o'clock when I cruise hehe. My wife will also be driving the car and she didn't care for the look so she was like what is the point of this?

I think if I was buying it solely for myself I would have chosen the yoke and adjusted my driving style since it just made me feel good when being in the car.

I'm hopeful that HW4 enables a better version of distance sensors than USS... but really I know it won't happen lol

Too much stress from trying to pick the bottom of the market. People do the same thing with actual stock trading. Always FOMO and regret, can never be happy. Always looking back what if what if.

I'm pretty sure we are at the all-time historic low for Plaid. Sure, it could go lower...

When test driving with the yoke, I really liked it. Well, it was the look and feel that was amazing. The view of the dash and interior I felt was hugely improved.

However, I ended up getting the wheel for mine because I like to hold one hand at 12 o'clock when I cruise hehe. My wife will also be driving the car and she didn't care for the look so she was like what is the point of this?

I think if I was buying it solely for myself I would have chosen the yoke and adjusted my driving style since it just made me feel good when being in the car.

I'm hopeful that HW4 enables a better version of distance sensors than USS... but really I know it won't happen lol

Too much stress from trying to pick the bottom of the market. People do the same thing with actual stock trading. Always FOMO and regret, can never be happy. Always looking back what if what if.

I'm pretty sure we are at the all-time historic low for Plaid. Sure, it could go lower...
same. love the yoke, but SO would think otherwise.

What has hardware 4 done for anyone besides better camera resolution, and FSD delays?
I've been in IT for way too long in my life, and I'm in charge of hardware refresh cycles for my company. My brain is wired to do my best to prevent EOL situations (like Windows 11 only running on X Gen Intel platforms and above, and Apple IOS upgrades only being available for n number of generations). At this point, it doesn't really matter though, as I have a brand new MS Plaid in the cart and am waiting to see how much trade-in they'll give me on the Hellcat.

Reactions: Anthony R.
I've been in IT for way too long in my life, and I'm in charge of hardware refresh cycles for my company. My brain is wired to do my best to prevent EOL situations (like Windows 11 only running on X Gen Intel platforms and above, and Apple IOS upgrades only being available for n number of generations
As a non IT person, I've managed to keep my 21 yo Dell with XP running. If it works...don't fix it!

@Typhoon43, brand new a S Plaid is $90k, why are you trying to get a used one for that?
I was still under the impression the Plaids were 130 new or so. I looked for used online and saw them in the 80's ot low 90's. Then I went online for giggles and loaded one up at the Tesla site and realized new is the way to go. Mine was 96 + tax with my options, and I did find one asking 88 that had everything I wanted minus the black interior. I almost jumped on it, but for the minor mump to go brand new, it was a no brainer. I pick it up Monday. Can't wait!

Just ordered an S plaid with all the options but the $12k autopilot thing and it came out to around $100k.

I’m sure I’ll lose my shirt on it but I couldn’t pass up a sub 2sec 100k car.

And this is coming from a an ICE purist … trading out of my Durango Hellcat for it. :)