Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla support CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carplay will almost certainly be standard equipment on the Gen-III. There might be integration issues with the older architecture of the Model S. As "future-proof" as they try to make these cars, there may be some compatibility issues. I'm not intimately familiar with the "under the hood" electronics architecture of the Model S. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge could speak to the potential reverse-compatibility of the Model S (or X) with something like Carplay?

Carplay will almost certainly be standard equipment on the Gen-III. There might be integration issues with the older architecture of the Model S. As "future-proof" as they try to make these cars, there may be some compatibility issues. I'm not intimately familiar with the "under the hood" electronics architecture of the Model S. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge could speak to the potential reverse-compatibility of the Model S (or X) with something like Carplay?
Tesla's system is Linux based. Compatibility with Android's system is a given. However, my search didn't come up with whether Carplay will work with Linux based entertainment systems.

I know Carplay does work with any Blackberry QNX based system though (which Tesla doesn't use), but I'm not sure if the rumors that QNX is required is true.

Tesla's system is Linux based. Compatibility with Android's system is a given. However, my search didn't come up with whether Carplay will work with Linux based entertainment systems.

I know Carplay does work with any Blackberry QNX based system though (which Tesla doesn't use), but I'm not sure if the rumors that QNX is required is true.

Keep in mind that OSX and iOS are also *nix based, BSD Unix to be specific. There shouldn't be anything holding Tesla back from implementing CarPlay on the current Model S center screen hardware...

- - - Updated - - -

Or ownership at teslamotors.com

I emailed them back when CarPlay was announced. Probably worth another email mentioning both CarPlay and Android Auto. Yes it's more work to offer both, but it will support most of their customers phone choices...

Tesla should first get out the 3rd party SDK and Tesla App Store capabilities - and then implement both the Apple and Google integration. And with the SDK availability, another developer could provide additional options.

Following along with the suggestions made by others, I sent the following email to Tesla service:

Dear Tesla Service:

I recently placed and confirmed an order for a Model S 85, and I am really looking forward to driving the vehicle. Despite the amazing vehicle control system that Tesla has put together, the one area where the current technology lags behind my expectations, and those of other Tesla owners I suspect, is the media system and the integration of smartphone/tablet technology. I suspect that most Tesla owners, including myself, are using iOS or Android products. Today, these products are the hub of our technological and media worlds. They go with us everywhere and provide near seamless functionality in almost any setting, except when driving one of the most technologically advanced vehicles in the world: Tesla Model S.

I have every confidence that Tesla can and will greatly improve the obvious weaknesses in the current media/phone integration set-up. One possible step in the right direction is the adoption of Apple’s CarPlay technology or a Tesla-developed implementation of the same basic functionality.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I'm not sure if more words are useful, but I never feel comfortable with a disembodied +1 communication.

Cross posted from the other thread (android vs CarPlay):

I've emailed ownership before but just tweeted this as well:
Twitter / SteveW25561: @elonmusk @TeslaMotors Its ...

Tweet:
@elonmusk @TeslaMotors It's a shame Model S is not among the cars that support #CarPlay or #AndroidAuto. Don't squander the touchscreen!

-----

If you use twitter retweet or tweet something similar. I'm hoping more public request for this will help.

Nope. That's what I thought, but when I emailed this suggestion there, they told me feature requests like this should really go to service.

I already emailed ownership about this issue. They indicated that they will pass the suggestions on. Either way, the correct response from anyone at Tesla simply should be to take the suggestions from owners and pass it on to the relevent department for consideration.

One of the great benefits of the Model S and Tesla's commitment to continue providing software updates - is that we're even able to discuss the possibility of adding the new Apple or Google software onto cars - that have already been purchased and have been on the road, even those that are approaching 2 years old!

I'm afraid if Tesla does not support CarPlay soon they will fall behind, while they are definitely leading now with their interface. They can't compete with iOS and App Store and their thousands of apps/devs. Cannot understand why Tesla doesn't want to be first when it comes to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dylan - yes that video makes a pretty strong "want" case for CarPlay. I'm increasingly concerned that Tesla engineering is understaffed and working on big future features (good) but ignoring long awaited "utility" features (bad!) like shuffle play, support CarPlay and other stuff that will help sell cars now and keep owners happy with fundamental upgrades that make good on Tesla's implied promise of our cars "always getting better".

Sure would be nice if Tesla made this available. I'm sure they don't want to pay the licensing fees involved (nor, alienate Android users out there), but would be interesting if this could be a customer paid upgrade.

Early Apple CarPlay Reviews Cite Ease of Use, Excellent Siri Voice Integration - Mac Rumors

Licensing fees an issue? Seriously? I don't know if there even are any.

If KIA, Hyundai, and Fiat, along with the other 25+ manufacturers can do this, and Pioneer can deliver to several of their receivers via free firmware update, I can't understand why people think this is an issue. With all the complaints about media control and navigation on these forums, CarPlay and the Android car feature could quickly resolve some issues for Tesla.