Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla support CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found a truly technical description of how CarPlay is implemented on a target vehicle? I have searched around and found nothing more than the puff-piece reporting on the announcements. Rather than all this arguing and rank speculation, it would be nice to base this discussion on some facts and genie technical analysis.

Has anyone found a truly technical description of how CarPlay is implemented on a target vehicle? I have searched around and found nothing more than the puff-piece reporting on the announcements. Rather than all this arguing and rank speculation, it would be nice to base this discussion on some facts and genie technical analysis.

Inside the tech behind CarPlay, Apples new in-vehicle infotainment system

It's basically an Airplay extension, which is logical and relatively unobtrusive. Mr. Musk did mention "projected mode" at some point.

Interesting. Based on that article, it looks as though their might be proprietary connector (Lightning) required and/or use of the Model S wi-fi system.

I would think that you could do it via USB, which should have sufficient bandwidth to handle the chore. Perhaps this is part of a major push by Apple to get Lightning into more cars . . . it fits in line with their past practices.

Interesting. Based on that article, it looks as though their might be proprietary connector (Lightning) required and/or use of the Model S wi-fi system.

I would think that you could do it via USB, which should have sufficient bandwidth to handle the chore. Perhaps this is part of a major push by Apple to get Lightning into more cars . . . it fits in line with their past practices.

All Lightning cables are USB cables (one end Lightning, the other USB male) so they aren't pushing anything proprietary. Also, CarPlay supports Wifi streaming.

If you want to have carplay on the S, email [email protected] and tell them. I did and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Support in regards to your request to add Apple Carplay. I have added a Feature Request on your behalf to implement Apply CarPlay. The more request we get for an item makes it visible for the appropriate teams. We greatly appreciate your feedback and please feel free to reach out to us anytime via email or 1-877-79-TESLA."

So they say so themselves, if enough people want it, then they will do it. Go!

It sounds like CarPlay uses QNX. I certainly don't want it. It sounds like it integrates well with iOS but not anything else. Personally I want nothing to do with Apple and their closed walled garden approach. I would rather have something that supports open standards. I certainly wouldn't want a car that uses Apple's mapping service.

It's sad to not see Tesla on the the list of car companies supporting it:

Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo,
BMW Group, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota Motor Corp.

So glad that Tesla is not on Apple sort list. Google Android would be a better solution since we are already using Google map. Imagine that you have to use iMap? Now imagine Tesla uses Google Navigation? Navigon is the worse thing that came to the Model S! Yesterday I had to use my phone since Navigon was directing me to the direction of accident in Denver.

I agree. Heck I couldn't imagine how limited the system would become if Apple were involved. Also their Q&A is going down the tubes, my brand new iPad Mini Retina spontaneously reboots 4 times a day now; it hardly has anything installed. No thanks. I like what Tesla has done on their own.

Here's one (see the last paragraph):
CarPlay Shown Off in New Promo Video from Volvo, Wi-Fi Connections Coming Soon - Mac Rumors

Volvo's implementation has wifi as "coming soon"... I'm guessing its more related to adding wi-fi packages to the car while USB ports were already there... I suspect Apple's spec includes wi-fi already.

Also, I suspect Apple will have sessions on CarPlay at this year's WWDC...

Maybe they mean Bluetooth as I can't imagine they mean that the phone will connect to the car over WiFi.

It sounds like CarPlay uses QNX.

Perhaps Volvo's implementation does, but there's no way Apply would require car manufacturers to use QNX.

I certainly don't want it. It sounds like it integrates well with iOS but not anything else. Personally I want nothing to do with Apple and their closed walled garden approach. I would rather have something that supports open standards. I certainly wouldn't want a car that uses Apple's mapping service.

Great, then just don't launch the CarPlay app. It's like, if you by an A/V receiver these days, it will likely come with AirPlay support, and a bunch of other network features. Use whichever feature you like. Ignore the features you don't care about.

Apple has announced CarPlay: see http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Can we expect Tesla to incorporate this in the Model S? It's disappointing to see Tesla not listed as a partner on Apple's page.

Right now Tesla is way ahead of everyone else in terms of in-car software.

Apple has no experience doing pure software development in an environment in which it has no control over the hardware.

I have Apple products throughout my house and I have no interest in Apple CarPlay until it proves itself.

... except the audio subsystem where, internet radio support excluded, they're way behind the features afforded to even budget economy vehicles. It's an understandable area for a new automaker to have assigned a low priority, but as time goes on it's a glaring flaw in an otherwise excellent driving experience.

I hope an improved media module is next on the list after 6.0's Nav updates.

Tesla's software architecture and strategy are way ahead of the other manufacturers - customizable dashboard and large touchscreen display, use of general purpose Linux operating system, constant internet connectivity via 3G or WiFi, and their commitment to provide software updates for the lifetime of the car.

Other manufacturers still operate on a model year basis - new features are added each model year, and after that few, if any, changes will be made for the lifetime of the cars - and to use the software capabilities in the car may require monthly or annual service fees.

However, Tesla still lags considerably behind other manufacturers in the overall functionality they are providing - so the potential of Tesla's superior software architecture has not yet been realized for Tesla owners. Other than the beautiful satellite maps, the overall navigation system functionality is inferior to what I had in my last car when it was delivered over 7 years ago. And the entertainment system is still relatively weak. Though these areas can see significant improvement as Tesla begins to release new software updates - and we all expect to see this continue as long as we own our cars.

Tesla should not tie their system closely to any 3rd party application. Those applications will change over time. Some will be updated - some will be replaced with newer versions - and some will die. Instead, Tesla's original philosophy of providing an App Store - to give owners the choice of 3rd party apps to install - is the right long term model for Tesla. And I hope they will work with outside parties to get apps to provide tight integration with all of the major mobile devices - which today is Apple and Android - and down the road could be Windows Phone or Tizen or some other architecture not even on the market today.

Yes - Tesla should implement something like CarPlay - for both Apple and Android devices (and any other mobile devices with significant marketshare).

However - they should also be prepared to replace that technology several years from now when better solutions come along.

Emailed ownership to request CarPlay, and, well, I think it went into the wrong bucket:

Thank you for contacting us with your suggestion. We are constantly looking for locations that are best-suited to help us accomplish our goals of efficiently and effectively producing lithium ion batteries on a massive scale.

We recommend keeping tabs on our Blog and Press Releases site for the latest information on the Gigafactory.

If you want to have carplay on the S, email [email protected] and tell them. I did and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Support in regards to your request to add Apple Carplay. I have added a Feature Request on your behalf to implement Apply CarPlay. The more request we get for an item makes it visible for the appropriate teams. We greatly appreciate your feedback and please feel free to reach out to us anytime via email or 1-877-79-TESLA."

So they say so themselves, if enough people want it, then they will do it. Go!

Will do. Thanks! :)

- - - Updated - - -

That is part of the beauty of CarPlay, Apple does not have to write software for each car.

It's really mostly just a remote display and input device for the phone, with some screen size layout changes, etc.

Exactly. All it should require is the USB connector we already have and it'll simply make using your iPhone a little more convenient. If you don't want to use it you don't have to and it won't disable any of the stock features. Apple's website has a lot of great screenshots of it here: Apple - CarPlay

Tesla's software architecture and strategy are way ahead of the other manufacturers - customizable dashboard and large touchscreen display, use of general purpose Linux operating system, constant internet connectivity via 3G or WiFi, and their commitment to provide software updates for the lifetime of the car.

Other manufacturers still operate on a model year basis - new features are added each model year, and after that few, if any, changes will be made for the lifetime of the cars - and to use the software capabilities in the car may require monthly or annual service fees.

However, Tesla still lags considerably behind other manufacturers in the overall functionality they are providing - so the potential of Tesla's superior software architecture has not yet been realized for Tesla owners. Other than the beautiful satellite maps, the overall navigation system functionality is inferior to what I had in my last car when it was delivered over 7 years ago. And the entertainment system is still relatively weak. Though these areas can see significant improvement as Tesla begins to release new software updates - and we all expect to see this continue as long as we own our cars.

Tesla should not tie their system closely to any 3rd party application. Those applications will change over time. Some will be updated - some will be replaced with newer versions - and some will die. Instead, Tesla's original philosophy of providing an App Store - to give owners the choice of 3rd party apps to install - is the right long term model for Tesla. And I hope they will work with outside parties to get apps to provide tight integration with all of the major mobile devices - which today is Apple and Android - and down the road could be Windows Phone or Tizen or some other architecture not even on the market today.

Yes - Tesla should implement something like CarPlay - for both Apple and Android devices (and any other mobile devices with significant marketshare).

However - they should also be prepared to replace that technology several years from now when better solutions come along.

I agree with most of what you're saying, except the Tesla App ecosystem assertion. It's nice to dream that a Tesla App Store would have wide developer adoption, but it most likely wouldn't. It would be a niche environment filled with hobbyist applications and unofficial ports of major applications, just like Windows Phone and BlackBerry, but worse. The numbers and volume of production just don't make Tesla attractive to most developers or organizations. Even with Gen III, 500,000 potential installs is a drop in the bucket compared to Android or iOS.

The beauty of CarPlay is Tesla would not be tying their infotainment system to any 3rd party, rather, they would be simply augmenting it with little risk, development, and support cost. Also, adopting CarPlay doesn't preclude Tesla from having their own ecosystem (but I don't believe it's a good use of their resources, nor the right strategy).

Without adopting CarPlay, Tesla runs the risk of being left behind versus other manufacturers. Again, I'll point to BlackBerry as an example. Good hardware, ardent fan base, and no application ecosystem. We all know where they are today and where they are headed. This is largely because of their decision to create another application ecosystem (so we are clear, I don't think Tesla is going to tank like BlackBerry).

I think most people are under the impression CarPlay replaces the touchscreen operating system in a car; it doesn't. It augments it.

I don't understand the negative reaction to it.

For apps of interest to a large portion of their market, Tesla could pay to have those apps brought over to their store - and then let the owners select which ones to use. This would likely be less expensive to Tesla than trying to implement the same functionality - and then maintain and evolve the apps.

Though I suspect there will be some Tesla owners who are either developers or have access to developers - and we'll see some apps developed for the Tesla platform, just like we're seeing 3rd party accessories for consoles, cup holders, etc. today.

Tesla should partner with both Apple and Google (or their partners) - and ensure owners of devices using the #1 and #2 mobile platforms are fully supported. And if another platform grows to significant volume, that should be supported too. Given the market share for Apple and Google devices, it would be a mistake to only support one of those platforms.