Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla support CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and use Apple's Maps?
Sure, why not. Apple Map Gate was way overblown (it was shown all mapping apps have similar issues), and Apple's had two years to improve. Reports are that mobile usage of Apple Maps has surpassed Google Maps (UK Carrier Compares Apple Maps vs. Google Maps Usage Data | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canadas #1 iPhone Resource) so they cannot be as bad as the jokes imply.

In addition, Tesla cannot use Google maps everywhere (China for example: Tesla Model S goes without Google navigation in China | Digital Trends), so maybe they should use Apple Maps where Google isn't available.

I've been reading this thread for some time with no comment. So, I have an iPhone, iPad and Apple TVs. However, I'm hoping Tesla does not incorporate carplay (at least as the sole infotainment system). The good thing about apple is the ecosystem (once you dive into it) works flawlessly with itself. The problem is... It works flawlessly with ITSELF. Apple imposes restrictions and polices that I believe can impede technological advancement for 3rd parties. You either solely develop for Apple or you do not (no grey area). I like the open and generic nature of Tesla design. It runs Linux, not some variant or "mini-me" operating system like Android. It would seem to me that the potential for advancement is limitless with that choice.

The one thing I do agree with is the lack of access to the music stored on our iPhone's without streaming via bluetooth. It would be nice if we could control the iPhone via the Tesla so we wouldn't have to store music on a thumbdrive. It would seem a level of integration with both Android and iPhone would be a win for us as customers. I just believe that the Tesla should be "THE ECOSYSTEM" not adopt a specific technology from someone else. Just my rambling thoughts...

I've been reading this thread for some time with no comment. So, I have an iPhone, iPad and Apple TVs. However, I'm hoping Tesla does not incorporate carplay (at least as the sole infotainment system). The good thing about apple is the ecosystem (once you dive into it) works flawlessly with itself. The problem is... It works flawlessly with ITSELF. Apple imposes restrictions and polices that I believe can impede technological advancement for 3rd parties. You either solely develop for Apple or you do not (no grey area). I like the open and generic nature of Tesla design. It runs Linux, not some variant or "mini-me" operating system like Android. It would seem to me that the potential for advancement is limitless with that choice.

The one thing I do agree with is the lack of access to the music stored on our iPhone's without streaming via bluetooth. It would be nice if we could control the iPhone via the Tesla so we wouldn't have to store music on a thumbdrive. It would seem a level of integration with both Android and iPhone would be a win for us as customers. I just believe that the Tesla should be "THE ECOSYSTEM" not adopt a specific technology from someone else. Just my rambling thoughts...

The request for CarPlay would is not to supplant the entire media UI. But to be an option within the existing one. My (perhaps limited) understanding of CarPlay is that it is often an integrated option in the other manufacturer's units. (Not sure about Pioneer's, but I heard others upcoming allow for Android, Apple, or other.) So it wouldn't necessarily be a "solely develop for Apple or not" situation.

Yes. CarPlay would hopefully only take over half the 17" screen with the Apple UI. When you wanted to go back to Tesla's UI you would.

I think they will implement it at some point but they have so much more to do.

Yes. CarPlay would hopefully only take over half the 17" screen with the Apple UI. When you wanted to go back to Tesla's UI you would.

I think they will implement it at some point but they have so much more to do.

Agree 100%. I like the way Tesla's proprietary apps work, but the seamless addition of an Apple interface with the content on my phone would be great. Fumbling around with my phone to get to Pandora while I'm driving because Tesla chose Slacker is not ideal.

Hi all,

Last week I spoke with Mr. Guillen, [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Vice President, Worldwide Sales and Service at Tesla. He was quite clear on my questions concerning Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto: Tesla will not implement either. They will however improve the integration of smartphones into the media center. Part of this was announced in the release notes of software 6.1, and there's more to come.
Some sort of SDK for third-party apps is still on the roadmap, and presumably an app could be devised to deliver CarPlay and/or Auto. However the development of this SDK has a lower priority and there are serious safety concerns
[/FONT]- so it may be a long time yet...

I'm not disappointed. If Tesla does implement a way of having a display mirror of a smartphone in the 17' display i'll be a happy man.
And if they do an AirPlay like protocol (not to be mistaken with CarPlay) it'll be even better.
So that You know, I'm part of the French Tesla User's club and we did an extensive document on enhancements to the current V6 firmware that we sent to Jerome and that has been passed to the engineering team.
Among other things we heavily insisted on Smartphone screen mirroring and Elon Musk did tell at a number of conferences that Tesla would implement someting like that in the near future, so keep your fingers crossed !

I am disappointed as well since CarPlay would make it very easy to implement third party options to the built in features of the Model S. For example, I would prefer Spotify to Slacker and Waze is FAR better at Navigation than the built in Tesla Nav. I would be fine if they would just offer native Spotify and Waze apps in the Tesla but that seems to be a long way off.

I'm very disappointed to hear this. Entry level cars and many 3rd party in dash receivers will offer both android and iOS integration and this makes Tesla look far behind in comparison.

Simple screen mirroring is insufficient since it won't pass back touch screen gestures. Also the user interface won't be optimized for driving situations.

In addition offering CarPlay or android auto significantly reduces pressure to develop the SDK since I'd imagine most users would be satisfied with their smartphone apps. The MUCH larger smartphone market also means more apps and more rapid development than a Tesla only market.

These solutions would only need to take up 1/2 the screen and don't forget they simply augment and not replace the native Tesla OS.

The media and user interfaces are simply not a priority for them right now. Clearly there are a lot of us who think they should be, but based on the trickle of updates in this area in my 14 months of ownership, they're just not. Certainly Tesla has Model X and Autopilot features to focus on.

I feel bad complaining about this and think it is perhaps asking a lot of them to make improvements here. Then I get into a 5 year old $14k MSRP Hyundai with better iPhone integration than we have and I stop feeling bad about it.

I don't think I'm owed better smartphone integration, but I do think it's awfully disappointing we have no integration at all. Especially on a vehicle at this price point.

If you want CarPlay support, please email Tesla to tell them. They keep track of the number of people who request a given feature, and use this information when setting priorities. I was told the best place to email feature requests is service at teslamotors.

The Audio interface could definitely use some work. It's still too difficult to navigate and requires too much attention away from the road. If Tesla can clean it up a little that would be a good start. Apple is probably charging an arm and leg for the service so that's probably the main reason we aren't getting it... :(

The media and user interfaces are simply not a priority for them right now. Clearly there are a lot of us who think they should be, but based on the trickle of updates in this area in my 14 months of ownership, they're just not. Certainly Tesla has Model X and Autopilot features to focus on.
Tesla now has a $25B market cap. Surely they can afford multiple dev teams and can work on multiple functionality at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel bad complaining about this and think it is perhaps asking a lot of them to make improvements here. Then I get into a 5 year old $14k MSRP Hyundai with better iPhone integration than we have and I stop feeling bad about it.
Especially when you would think that Hyundai would be more biased to their Korean cousins at Samsung and therefore Android.