Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Update Electric Motors This Year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not saying they're better cars, just that they have better performance. Performance models should always prioritize performance over anything else, and the Model Y Performance is beat on that metric.
does it really matter where in the 3s a model is? That makes it faster than most 5 figure priced gas cars, and both of my BMW motorcycles (but not the Daytona 1200), but still completely outclassed by the fastest EVs in the only place where you can really exercise full throttle anyway - the track.

It's no surprise that KIA aimed for 3.4 when the two cars selling at any volume - the YP and the MME - rated at 3.5. That's just intelligent design.

But I, and I think the majority of YP owners, would rather have the 20% further range. Less than 200 is a deal breaker to me The EV6 can charge fast....but only if it can find a working 350KW charger.

The motors are being dialed back currently. Not an issue. All of the competition lose money on their EVs. Tesla sells EVs that are upgradable, cheaper, better charging, faster, longer range, no dealers, (I could go on) at scale and for a profit. At scale and for a profit is very important. BYD is really their only competition but they don’t sell in the US and obviously don’t have the charging network. Tesla is the only EV choice in the US.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Chill mode delivers a 0-60 time of around 7.6 seconds. Modern minivans are quicker than that.
Haha, yeah. I was exaggerating for humor. Back in 1990, a modern Dodge Caravan got 0-60 in 11.4 seconds.

But it did make me go back to actually see what Ferrari's lineup was capable of in 0-60 acceleration. Just a glance, it is shocking how quick modern EVs (and any car) is compared to then. And these cars took an amazing amount of care and maintenance to achieve this performance.

Caveat: these 0-60 times are all from Car and Driver reviews before they removed rollout. So, deduct 0.3 seconds to compare to modern 0-60 times. (And, the MYLR is a 4.4 second car, with rollout excluded.) A MYLR with Acceleration Boost would smoke every car Ferrari made in 1990 except the F40, and that would be a close race.

Ferrari Testarosa 5.0 seconds 0-60
Ferrari 348 6.0 seconds 0-60
Ferrari F40 4.2 seconds 0-60
Ferrari Mondial t convertible 6.6 seconds 0-60
Ferrari Testarossa 5.0 seconds 0-60

Caveat: these 0-60 times are all from Car and Driver reviews before they removed rollout. So, deduct 0.3 seconds to compare to modern 0-60 times. (And, the MYLR is a 4.4 second car, with rollout excluded.) A MYLR with Acceleration Boost would smoke every car Ferrari made in 1990 except the F40, and that would be a close race.

I believe that. The Y is a performance bargain, and many people don't know because they don't look the part. I used Chill Mode briefly in 2019 when I got my 3, but that lasted about three days. I don't like wearing out tires prematurely, but I just don't have that kind of self-control.

Reactions: laservet
Haha, yeah. I was exaggerating for humor. Back in 1990, a modern Dodge Caravan got 0-60 in 11.4 seconds.

But it did make me go back to actually see what Ferrari's lineup was capable of in 0-60 acceleration. Just a glance, it is shocking how quick modern EVs (and any car) is compared to then. And these cars took an amazing amount of care and maintenance to achieve this performance.

My favorite Ferrari!!!

1674572601446.png

I believe that. The Y is a performance bargain, and many people don't know because they don't look the part. I used Chill Mode briefly in 2019 when I got my 3, but that lasted about three days. I don't like wearing out tires prematurely, but I just don't have that kind of self-control.
I just remind myself how many miles I could get on motorcycle tires. Even on a stodgy BMW.

Are they? I thought they are having issues with charge-gating and generally slower charge curves.
no direct experiences. But several have released 800V based models that are capable of over 300 KW - Lucid being another.

Tesla is at a disadvantage in being older and having already designed for the conditions at the time, and the Superchargers to match, whereas those starting from scratch don't have any restrictions.

I have a MYP, of course quick it’s never quick enough, but to have a comfortable car that can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, haul a small farm and have 250 miles of actual real world range is amazing. I’m not even mentioning the Tesla charging network. That being said I’m not sure updated motors are the biggest concern. If I wanted the quickest vehicle I’d get a M3P or S Plaid, which is still arguably the beast every other production car on the planet is chasing. Continuous improvement is needed, I’m not sure that motors is the most important area of improvement though.

Both of those cars are sold at a loss. Can’t do that forever.
a loss based on what rate of amortization for the capital investment?

Tesla sold every car at a loss for a long time too, and used green credits to be "profitable," before finally getting to profitable on a per unit basis. It was also blessed by the ability to get the NUMMI plant for a song during the great recession. In contrast, Rivian will spend 5B to build their second plant in GA, if the maggats don't stop them.

The Koreans and Ford have the pockets to make this investment. Rivian and Lucid have a tougher time with the ramp up.

But back to the point, it's irrelevant to the fact that newer EVs have a higher charging potential. I think the manufacturers would be smart to band together to boost CCS1 in America, but as noted before, it looks like they want to rely on the government to do it for them.

Does anyone know if the new fast EVS like EV6 GT and M4 need to hit a race button or switch on and prep like cheetah mode? If they do, on the street we will be much faster during a brief friendly interaction of a quick stomp at the light.

Also for ICE cars that are advertised faster, better hope to turn on race mode button, feather and don’t spin, try not to mis shift and hope the air sea level is just right.

Does anyone know if the new fast EVS like EV6 GT and M4 need to hit a race button or switch on and prep like cheetah mode? If they do, on the street we will be much faster during a brief friendly interaction of a quick stomp at the light.

Also for ICE cars that are advertised faster, better hope to turn on race mode button, feather and don’t spin, try not to mis shift and hope the air sea level is just right.
I'm pretty sure the EV6 GT has a GT mode that's activated with the "GT" button on the steering wheel. I think you can stay in that mode as long as you'd like so it's not like a boost button. So they should be able to blow us away at stop lights without much issue. 😅

What I would like to know is if the 206 mile EPA range of the EV6 is in GT mode or for some other mode. 206 miles in any mode is kind of shockingly low in my opinion. If that can only be achieved in say the normal or eco mode, I think that's a huge problem.

I'm pretty sure the EV6 GT has a GT mode that's activated with the "GT" button on the steering wheel. I think you can stay in that mode as long as you'd like so it's not like a boost button. So they should be able to blow us away at stop lights without much issue. 😅

I can’t speak for the GT, but my AWD Wind-trim EV6 locked in the front motor at all speeds. That’s a significant performance downgrade in Eco mode, but the default Normal drive mode would provide full power. I never timed it, but if you stab the throttle from a stop, I believe you’d get the same acceleration times between Sport and Normal modes.

To summarize - You wouldn’t have an advantage unless he selected Eco mode from a standing start.

What I would like to know is if the 206 mile EPA range of the EV6 is in GT mode or for some other mode. 206 miles in any mode is kind of shockingly low in my opinion. If that can only be achieved in say the normal or eco mode, I think that's a huge problem.

I don’t believe EPA testing is done in GT-Mode. Car & Driver only got 191 miles on their range test of the GT.