Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the free FSD trial convince you to purchase FSD?

Do you intend to purchase FSD when your free trial runs out?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Not offered free trial/already had it/other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, to me it's more of a gimmick than a useful feature. A cool way to impress your friends who haven't been in a tesla before, but nothing more than that. I genuinely enjoy driving and don't want a computer to do it for me.

However, I've only used it around town so far, I have a multi-day road trip planned later this month and will have the opportunity to test it out in much more diverse conditions, so I might discover I like it more than I thought.

I have tested it out 2 times now. I had to disengage it 3 times after less than 1 km’s driving. It is not anywhere ready for city driving yet. Car froze in the middle of a left hand turn. Would not move.
Car tried driving in a bike lane and turning into another on and 1 major phantom braking.

The free trial has convinced not to purchase. I’ll stick to the basic autopilot on the highways.

Would the FSD pricing be more acceptable if it was transferable?

Most all people complaining about FSD would still install it if it was free.
Yes. I will buy it immediately if it was transferable to my next Tesla. Since it is a license model and not a subscription model, I believe it must be made transferable (just like transferring software from one laptop to another as long as it is the same user).

Last edited:
I have tested it out 2 times now. I had to disengage it 3 times after less than 1 km’s driving. It is not anywhere ready for city driving yet. Car froze in the middle of a left hand turn. Would not move.
Car tried driving in a bike lane and turning into another on and 1 major phantom braking.

The free trial has convinced not to purchase. I’ll stick to the basic autopilot on the highways.
Which model and year of the car you are on? I am on 2023 December MSLR. Just wondering if that makes a difference.

I drive about 25 Kms each way to work. I have used it every day since the trial began. The only times I have to take control was when I reached the destination - at office, because I park in the underground parking and at home, because it tries to stop on the road (actually, I take control to go into my driveway and garage). I think it does not know what to do once it reaches the destination. A message pops up saying that the destination is reached and to press the accelerator to continue. When I take over, the feedback on why I disengaged autopilot pops up.

I should add, I have left the FSD to do its thing even if I might have done it differently. But it always managed to “correct” itself (e.g. if a merging lane is ending, I did not take over).

I got one month trial with FSD V12.3.3, tried it today for the first time. It sometimes balks when deciding which lane to begin left turns. It doesn't notice cars in other lanes are braking up ahead and doesn't slow down when it's obvious that traffic is slowing on the freeway up ahead. It also doesn't handle merging traffic on the right. I was in the slow lane going 65mph and a car was merging on the road next to me. My model Y kept pace, going the same speed in the other drivers blind spot, not yielding to the other driver. There were 3 options: go slower, go faster, or move over to the next lane to avoid the merging car. There was nobody in the 3 lanes to the left of me. I yanked the wheel over to the left and took over control. I re-engaged the FSD and continued towards home. 1 mile from home the screen flashed red while waiting at a stop light. It didn't like that my hands were not on the wheel while waiting at the stop light. And it would not continue the trip. When I got home there was a warning that FSD would be disabled if it sensed 4 more times that I fail to put my hands on the wheel while it's engaged. I think the FSD steering is nervous and turns twitchy, it doesn't cut corners to use less steering, reminds me of student driver school. It always completes left turns in the fast lane when it's better to use the slow lane. It gets confused by cracks in the road, interpreting them as white lines. I think it drives alongside other vehicles when it should avoid if possible. The car seems to want to dive towards the middle or left side of the road. For myself, I will not pay for the upgrade FSD option.

To answer the OPs question, any free demo will help sales BUT that's only if the product being demo'd is amazing. It seems FSD is not at that stage and therefore these free trials will not increase any sales. If Tesla wants to sell FSD, they will need to give another free trial when FSD is working well.

Reactions: SilverGS
I do not see any point or purpose for FSD (Superrvised) for local driving. If I have to "supervise" I might as well just drive the car myself. I might consider it for a long distance trip, as highway driving for hundreds of miles is, for me, dead boring, but regular Autopilot takes care of most of that, aside from auto lane changing. I have a couple hundred mile on the highway errand in a week or so, I'll try it for that to see if it is any better than regular Autopilot. I do like the idea of being able to change lanes by hitting the turn signal, if it works. I do not have any interest in supervising a local errand drive.

If FSD (NOT supervised) ever came to pass, I'd consider it seriously. Otherwise it seems to me to be mostly worthless, in theory, and in practice.

Which model and year of the car you are on? I am on 2023 December MSLR. Just wondering if that makes a difference.

I drive about 25 Kms each way to work. I have used it every day since the trial began. The only times I have to take control was when I reached the destination - at office, because I park in the underground parking and at home, because it tries to stop on the road (actually, I take control to go into my driveway and garage). I think it does not know what to do once it reaches the destination. A message pops up saying that the destination is reached and to press the accelerator to continue. When I take over, the feedback on why I disengaged autopilot pops up.

I should add, I have left the FSD to do its thing even if I might have done it differently. But it always managed to “correct” itself (e.g. if a merging lane is ending, I did not take over).
I have a 2022 RWD

I had planned to subcribe for a month out of curiosity. The free trial comes at the perfect time. After one week, I would buy it at $2000 as a toy. When autonomous is working I might consider the current price. If Elon Musk said August 2024, it would be 2034.

I have a 2022 RWD
May be that could be the reason. May be it works better with HW4? If this is the case, Tesla shouldn’t have offered the free trial to HW3 owners.

Mine (HW4) works perfectly except in two areas.
1. When we reach the destination. It doesn’t know how to end.
2. When a lane is ending. It waits a bit too long before changing. Since we are accustomed to changing lanes earlier, it may take time to get used to.

Reactions: Smytty
May be that could be the reason. May be it works better with HW4? If this is the case, Tesla shouldn’t have offered the free trial to HW3 owners.

Mine (HW4) works perfectly except in two areas.
1. When we reach the destination. It doesn’t know how to end.
2. When a lane is ending. It waits a bit too long before changing. Since we are accustomed to changing lanes earlier, it may take time to get used to.
I have HW3 in 2023 M3LR and have the trial, Elon I believe has categorically said that FSD needs to be work better with HW3 , infact I read somewhere that HW is also utlilizing FSD at a lower level of HW3 and not at its full potential

I tried it twice in city and am totally convinced I DO NOT want FSD even if provided free.
I was very stressed out double guessing whether it would stop in time at intersections or drive into oncoming traffic, my knuckles turning white, ready to take over any moment. I don't know why people say it is relaxing. It was way more stressful than me driving and knowing what I wanted to do next.

Perhaps when it reaches true Level 4/5.....