Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model S/X have a spare tire & if not, how is that ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once you leave major urban areas, there are lots of spots with no cell phone coverage (at least if you have AT&T or Sprint). Besides, I don't like the idea of having to rely on someone else coming to my rescue- especially for something as simple as a blowout.

Maybe they should make it optional.

If some want to spend an extra $350 they can have a spare.

Those that don't need a spare don't have to subsidize those that do.

If the Model X is a "city people hauler", then no spare needed.

If the Model X is intended to have a broader reach -- say, into Jeep / Land Rover offroading territory -- then it needs a spare.

IMO.

I have two sets of Tesla OEM wheels: all-seasons and snows. If I were traveling some place where service is a problem, I might throw one of the other wheels into the trunk. (Yeah, driving on a mismatch wheel isn't great, but manageable.) I'd still call a tow-truck operator, though, because I'm not going to carry a sufficiently powerful jack nor a torque wrench that can properly calibrate the ginormous torque that Tesla uses on these wheels.

Maybe they should make it optional.

If some want to spend an extra $350 they can have a spare.

Those that don't need a spare don't have to subsidize those that do.

If the Model X is a "city people hauler", then no spare needed.

If the Model X is intended to have a broader reach -- say, into Jeep / Land Rover offroading territory -- then it needs a spare.

IMO.

I agree with both comments. I ordered the 85 kWh battery since I plan to take the car on road trips. And I promised my parents that I would make the trek out to their place in New Mexico to show off the car (at least when Tesla gets another supercharger or two installed along the way). There are some pretty lonely spots along interstate 10 so I'll definitely look into some sort of spare tire option before making the trip. Even an unmounted tire that fits the rim could be useful. I had a blowout along that route about 8 years ago and there wasn't a P215/50R17 tire within 100 miles. I imagine a 245/45R19 tire would be even harder to come by.

I had a blowout along that route about 8 years ago and there wasn't a P215/50R17 tire within 100 miles. I imagine a 245/45R19 tire would be even harder to come by.

Exactly. With such exotic tire sizes, a blowout could ruin a entire trip, unless you had a spare.

- - - Updated - - -

What would be cool, in the absence of a spare, would be if Tesla roadside could actually bring a spare to mount on the car and take the damaged tire in for repair. I could then, at my leisure, go in and exchange tires and pay for the damages later.

This would be fine. Of course, this is very unlikely; Tesla isn't going to stock enough tires nationwide to do this. Tesla is subcontracting its roadside in many rural areas anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't Tesla's prepaid service plan cover towing from a flat, which means the model S "cannot be driven" since they have not provided a spare tire or method to fix the flat?

From GeorgeB's service response post:

Notice that GeorgeB is only offering 50 miles worth of towing. Useless for a road trip; it won't get you to somewhere which has a suitable tire.

New member here - first post. I've had my Signature since October, and one of the first things I did is buy a fullsize spare tire and wheel. Wasn't that expensive. Unfortunately the only place it fits is in the trunk; too big for the front trunk. But since I live in the City - the one with BIG hills - I've gotten too many blowouts and sidewall problems. Why load it on a flatbed when I can call AAA and if they can't fix the tire they can swap it out?

In my opinion, if you're going on a road trip, you take a spare. (maybe you only take the tire as a compromise between cost and convenience).

Good advice. If/when I get a separate set of winter tires, one of those (or a summer tire in the winter) would suffice, I suppose. Problem is, my commute to work is practically a "road trip" and that's where I've had all my flats over the years.

New member here - first post. I've had my Signature since October, and one of the first things I did is buy a fullsize spare tire and wheel. Wasn't that expensive. Unfortunately the only place it fits is in the trunk; too big for the front trunk. But since I live in the City - the one with BIG hills - I've gotten too many blowouts and sidewall problems. Why load it on a flatbed when I can call AAA and if they can't fix the tire they can swap it out?

Thanks for posting this- very helpful information. Do you have a link for the full-size spare tire and wheel you bought? What kind of jack and lug wrench did you buy?

Thanks for your post and thanks for letting us pick your brains. Did you buy lug nut wrenches and a jack (and if so, what models?), or did you rely on AAA bringing suitable ones?

None of the houses i owned had fires so i am going to drop home insurance. And local fire brigade will surely come in less than 5 minutes in case something happens... Same logic? :)

Even if truck comes, if I have children in the car will truck have space for them? Is it even legal to get kids into a truck which only has front seat? I doubt that. All this roadside assistance works for a single driver and maybe one adult passenger

So my thoughts are to buy one of the least expensive 19" wheels from The Tire Rack, that fits the Tesla. It is about $200. Then I'll give it a try with the lowest profile 19" tire available which brings outside diameter down to 25 inches. This should fit in the frunk and is light enough to easily lift. The smaller diameter should work ok temporarily. Mounted to the rear, the differential works overtime, so if your flat is on the back, move a front tire to the rear and mount the spare up front. The only inconvenience of the smaller diameter up front is that maybe, not likely, the rotational speed difference will be enough to make the anti-skid pulse the brakes under heavy braking. Though not likely. I'll give it a try and let you know in a month or two. For me, I travel a lot into areas with no phone service. I've plugged tires many times, it is easy, and I carry a plug kit. For a blow-out I need a spare.

1. I think I read somewhere that some countries require spare tires. Has anyone heard where Tesla will be mounting the spare for these countries?
2. I once had problems with 2 tires at the same time on another car, but only one was blown and the other only a thrown tread. I was in the middle of nowhere with no cell service and had to drive 100 miles at 20 miles to where I could buy a couple of new tires. (An air pump or similar would not have worked.)
3. If you depend on roadside side assistance and do not carry a spare, it is a good idea to check the mileage limits for your towing coverage. I think AAA has two different ranges that you can purchase.

In reality, I have had two flats in the last 20 years on my cars. One was driving over a sharp, pointy rock, off-road, while rock crawling in my jeep. The other was when I drove over a bolt sticking out of the concrete in my hangar. With today's tires on most roads, the risk is pretty small. After all, I accepted that risk when I drove the Model S 295 miles from Boulder to Pagosa last week.

Same here. Had 3 flats over the last 20 years, and one of those was in my Model S.

* On the first two I just called roadside assistance to come and change it, since the service was covered anyway and I couldn't be bothered. (Even though I had a tire & jack). Once the tow truck even brought a spare tire, though I didn't need it.
* On the Model S one I inflated & sealed with the Tesla kit, and it was actually faster than a tire change.

The kit would actually have worked on the other 2 flats I had as well. In retrospect I could have much better used that storage space over the years than carrying along a spare tire. So in the cataclysmic event that I ever buy a car again that's not a Tesla, I would do that anyway.

I don't quite understand why anybody would bother with such a low-incidence event. If you such bad luck that you get a flat tire more than once every two years, maybe you shouldn't be playing outside :)

I don't quite understand why anybody would bother with such a low-incidence event. If you such bad luck that you get a flat tire more than once every two years, maybe you shouldn't be playing outside :)

I guess it depends where you drive. I don't think I'm different than most, but I usually end up with at least one flat per year, and it is always a screw or nail in the tread. So far, no flats on the Model S (fingers crossed).