Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model S/X have a spare tire & if not, how is that ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where can I buy a single standard 19" wheel sans tire without having to buy an entire set of 4 that's being sold on Tesla's online store?

Tire rack has 19 inch wheels that will fit, but they will not match exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

> The problem is jacking up the car. [EdA]

Turns out NOT to be the problem I assumed it would be using a common everyday lightweight sissor jack. In the past I have used these handy jacks to lower the MS but assumed the MS was too heavy to be raised by them. Not so as it turns out, since when you begin jacking at LOW level the jack does not to lift much weight at all. By the time the jack assumes ALL the weight the force multiplier is much greater due to the geometry of the sizzors.

Be sure the sizzor jack you use is in 'new' condition and is clean and lubed. Then get a short length of hardwood flooring which usually has that routed-out groove on the under-side. That groove is where the curved top surface of the GM-style jack goes. This keeps it centered on the wood as the angle changes as the car is jacked up. Or simply receives the 'pin' on the top of sizzor jack that has a fully floating top piece (Ford, Subaru). BOTH styles of sizzor jacks will work for the MS. And the wood spreads the weight nicely over the plastic contact pad on the MS rocker.

Any wrecking yard can get you a mint sizzor jack for cheap. Get a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to use under the jack on soft earth.
--

PI would be concerned about the ability of just any scissors jack to hold the weight safely while changing a tire. A falling model S, even for a short distance could cost someone a finger. Some jacks from a junkyard might be for much lighter cars and even though they might be able to do the lift they might crush at a very bad time.

I didn't read the whole thread, but just wanted to add my fix. I think that a spare tire in the frunk is a bad idea. I the event of a front collision, that tire will push the dash area onto the front passengers. The rear trunk is a much better idea if you could live with the loss of room. My solution was this:

2 type of large cans with tire sealant from Walmart (Fix a Flat, and Slime) $20+-

A tire plug kit from Amazon $5
Amazon.com: Victor 22-5-00106-8 Heavy Duty Tubeless Tire Repair Kit: Automotive

A valve extractor with few spare valves (had if from my prior car) $5+-
Amazon.com: Slime 20088 4-Way Valve Tool with 4 Valve Cores: Automotive

A good portable air compressor $50
Amazon.com: VIAIR 85P Portable Air Compressor: Automotive

A 2-3 tons scissor jack from Walmart $25 (forgot the weight rating)

and last, a good used Michelin tire identical to the ones I have on my Tesla bought from eBay for $75.

All fit in the Frunk which I never use anyway since I have tons of room in the back (and since I'm trying to avoid the notorious hood crease).
If I will have a flat, I'll try and deal with it myself by identifying the puncture with the air compressor (a little beast) and decide on the compressed sealant or tire plug. If the damage is too big, I will find a service provider to come and replace the bad tire with the spare on the spot. Another option available for me is to leave the car on the jack, remove the wheel, and get a taxi ride to the nearest tire shop to get the job done. Much better than towing, sitting in the shop for few days because no one stock this size, or all kind of bad experiences I read from other driver loosing lots of time and money after a flat. I am running a trucking company. Trucks (big and small) don't come with spare tires. When a driver get a flat, and need help, we call a service providers. A good website for this is NTTS http://www.nttsbreakdown.com/ntts/programs/main/main.php If they do big trucks, trust me, this little puny tire is going to be a piece of cake for them. Last advise, if you decide to push sealant into the tire, don't forget to remove the inner valve in the valve stem, push the sealant in, than re-screw the valve. won't hurt to rotate the tire
(or drive on it a little) before trying to pump air into the tire to insure sealant come in contact all around the interior of the tire.

I hope this help.
Good luck, and let's hope we won't get that flat. EVER!
:)

Last edited:
No spare 4u

Does it bother anyone that the model s doesn't have a spare tire?

My Beemer doesn't have a spare, but BMW is leveraging runflats to compensate.

Now I hate the ride of runflats and have had tons of problems with them (and they are expensive), but alas they save my a$$ when those potholes come.

I vowed I'd never get another car without a spare again, but here I am eyeing the tesla.

No spare, no runflats, no backup.

How are you guys getting over that mental hurdle?

I've had one flat on my Model S, was a rapid deflation from a tapcon laying in the road. Called Tesla and they sent a flatbed, picked up the car, fitted a new tire and returned the car (washed) to my house later the same day. Fantastic service and I'm not sure any other auto-maker/dealer would have done the same thing. Oh and they charged me for the new tire only.

I've driven between 400 and 500k miles in my adult lifetime and had a grand total of one flat tire. I'll call a tow truck on the off chance it happens again.

Yeah, I was once like you, but then I had the BMW/Goodyear runflat experience over the past 4+ years.
I forget what it's like to not have bad tires.
Major design flaw, and really damaged my view of the brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
37 driving years, 2 flats. I ain't skeered.

;)

I think some folks carry around repair kits. I'll pass on that.

One of those flats required putting on one of those mini skinny don't-drive-over-50 mph spare tires back in the mid-90s. On an interstate. That was a fun day.

I and a number of others either carry a full size spare (a separately purchased 19" rim and tire) or have created our own compact spare tire to carry around. If I carry one with me or not usually depends on the type of travel I'm on and how far away from beaten path I will be. I've had a small crack develop on my 21" rim with no tire damage, but it did cause the tire to go flat... It's nice to have options.

Peter

I happened to pick up a small finishing nail in my ICE earlier this week that caused a slight vibration at highway speed. A couple of cans of fix-a-flat and I was on my way.
image.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Mobster
I happened to pick up a small finishing nail in my ICE earlier this week that caused a slight vibration at highway speed. A couple of cans of fix-a-flat and I was on my way.

I assume you used some JB Weld on the wheel too, right?

I got a donut that I sometimes toss in the car if we're going on an hour or so trip. Most of my commute is on an elevated highway with very little shoulder where I wouldn't be comfortable changing a tire anyway. Run-flats are only the answer if you are looking to crack your rims and spend a fortune on tires.

I have been driving for 45 years and have never had a flat. Have had a couple of very slow leaks. Doesn't bother me that the S has no spare.

40 years for me. Lots of very slow leaks and two flats requiring a tire change at the side of the road. One was when some sort of steel band whipped up and put a 8" gash through the tread and sidewall. The other was when a previous repair plug let go (found out the shop had just put in a plug with no internal patch). I'm not adverse to changing tires, but both of these happened in the middle of winter with crappy, slushy roads, so I just called roadside assistance anyway. Would be no difference with the Tesla... except: In my previous examples, they came, put the (full-size) spare on and I was on my way to work. Maybe a hour late for work and that's it. I imagine with the Tesla, I might lose the whole morning, or maybe the day if they have to flatbed the car somewhere and deal with getting a repair or replacement tire. With my average of one flat every 20 years, I'm not terribly worried about it.

Impressive. Quite the hit you took.

Flat tires may be a rare occurrence for most, but when they happen, and to this extent, not having a spare will cause you to lose a day if not more.

Not exactly true. I had AAA come and plug a tire in which I got a screw in my tire (Got a Flat, Here's a ) and it took about 2 hours, mostly waiting for them to arrive. (Tesla service said it would take them 2 hours to arrive).

PS: AAA claims they do NOT plug tires.

A couple times I needed to get the tire replaced, knowing that I was a little worried about the lack of a spare. But with roadside assistance, it's not the end of the world...

The other handful of times, I've had slow leaks from a nail or something, I can generally just plug those myself in 10mins at the gas station air pump and be on my way.