Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model S/X have a spare tire & if not, how is that ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Repair kit" just popped up on the tesla motors website:

Tire Repair Kit - Model S Tesla Motors

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347315797.793788.jpg

But it has a Tesla sticker on it...that made my Gym bag worth $5K :)

I can't tell from the picture if it's more like this kit, which also squirts the sealant goop in.

Either way, I'd still hope for this to be included with the car, and ideally designed so that it stores away nicely in a little cubby. My first SLK had something similar, with goop, compressor and little white gloves to protect my delicate hands :) that was all in a styrene insert that lived where a donut would otherwise go.

Wouldn't Tesla's prepaid service plan cover towing from a flat, which means the model S "cannot be driven" since they have not provided a spare tire or method to fix the flat?

From GeorgeB's service response post:
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
- INCLUDED: 4 years or 50,000 miles, 24/7.

TOWING:
- INCLUDED: If your car has a breakdown and cannot be driven, we pay for towing, up to 50 miles, to a Tesla Service Center, your home, or some other secure place. We will then assess your car to determine the best way to repair it.

Since I already scuffed up (minor) one of my wheels, instead of spending $125 to repair it is there any value in getting a 5th rim and tire to replace the scratched one and keeping the old one in the garage as a spare? I realize I wouldn't have it with me for a flat but I'd just get towed to my house and then change the tire there. I could also maybe fit it in the frunk if I deflated the tire but I'd have to see if it fit.

Dsm363, I would buy the extra rim and wheel if it is scuffed up enough to bother you in another week or two. I have also been considering the tiny spare idea that car makers have used for years as a spare. It would involve an 18 or 19 inch rim with a very very low profile tire to be able to fit in the frunk. One would need to drive very slowly also until you got the full sized tire fixed.

That being said it is likely that I will do nothing except the can of fix a flat and need to replace the TPMS if used. I will have a set of four out of season tires in my garage to choose from.

Wouldn't Tesla's prepaid service plan cover towing from a flat, which means the model S "cannot be driven" since they have not provided a spare tire or method to fix the flat?

From GeorgeB's service response post:

I had to take AAA Plus since I am 205 miles from Dania service center and will still be over 125 mi from Tampa service center once opened next year. Need at least 100 mi to get towed to home from most places in Orlando.

The can of goo should have come with the Tesla Logo air pump...did you already receive the air pump kit? I have a similar kit from Continental Tire, it includes the can of goo.

Thanks. I see from the description now that you mentioned it that it was supposed to come with a can of sealant. I don't think mine did so will e-mail Tesla.
Tire Repair Kit - Model S Tesla Motors