Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will unlimited SC transfer on private sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a car comes with unlimited supercharging for life it will transfer (free of charge) to the new owner. This is for ALL cars, private or dealership sale, save for Tesla directly. They recently got a little funky with some of their used cars and pulled this feature from only cars taken in (via trade or lease return) and then resold as used. If you are looking at a used Tesla Model S that is being sold by a private party or another car dealership (so long as it's NOT Tesla) you will indeed receive that unlimited free supercharging for life if the car has it. It stays with the car regardless of who the new owner is.

I thought I read some posts indicating that dealership sales were not getting unlimited supercharging transferred. Direct private sale should transfer as long as the car was originally delivered by the end of 2016.

That's the problem; there's a LOT of misinformation being peddled as fact out there. When I first started out I, too, was a bit confused because some people sure seem like they know what they're talking about. Three used Model S purchases later I have a better idea but still have to wade through the BS at times.

Even recently a bunch of people were correcting people on forums saying that this no longer transferred free to new owners due to a change to used cars that Tesla themselves sold directly. Some were posting that Tesla was doing away with unlimited free supercharger transferring for ALL cars even though it was for a very select few vehicles for a certain period of time.

Just make sure the car you're looking at has this feature as not all cars did. If you are looking at a car that was sold prior to January 2017 you should be safe save for a few early manufactured cars as this wasn't always included. As I've never been interested in owning an early production car I'm not sure if those early cars were eventually transferred in or not so I can't speak to that.

There's a slim chance that the car was once bought used from Tesla within the last couple of months since they made that change but even then it was ONLY to cars they themselves sold used. This will get more confusing moving forward but given how close we are to that change I doubt there are very many (any?) cars out there in the wild being sold that were bought used from Tesla within the last couple of months when they put that into effect.

Reactions: Akikiki
I read on this forum that some sellers without transferable charging have given their login information to the buyer. In that case, Tesla wont know who is charging. However, you may run into an issue at the service center. Of course, I am not recommending you do anything illegal.

Last edited:
This is something that is going to HAVE to come to a head legally at some point. Tesla has actually started to revoke the permanent free unlimited Supercharging on private party to private party sales. I've been seeing several people report this happening to them. Tesla had made commitments in writing that are legally enforceable that this would not happen, but they are now doing it anyway. So some people are going to have to press this issue and hold their feet to the fire to stop this illegal reneging of their legally binding commitment.

Have the seller take a screenshot of their myTesla page that details their supercharging plan. It should say clearly it transfers to the next owner.

Use this as documentation if Tesla messes with you after the sale.
It should look like this: Now this is weird, IT USED TO SAY WILL TRANSFER TO NEW OWNER.... WTH?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 2.32.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 2.32.25 PM.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 109
So how do you verify this?? Call Tesla with vin? Is there a screen option that will tell u?

Call Tesla won't help because they only verify the present free status but nothing about whether it's transferrable or not.

You need to a screenshot from the original owner's account that says "will transfer to the next owner":

ZivKSWc.png

The problem is current screenshots don't seem to have the phrase "will transfer to the next owner" anymore.

This is something that is going to HAVE to come to a head legally at some point. Tesla has actually started to revoke the permanent free unlimited Supercharging on private party to private party sales.

I don't believe this for a second. Do you have a source?

Now if the car was ever repurchased by Tesla, they could remove it and then resell it without but I'll bet anyone who thinks they should have had it never did because it was resold by Tesla at some point.

If was after their switchover to life of first owner and not car, then of course it won't transfer. If you buy a new S/X today with free unlimited supercharging for life, it will not transfer.

I don't believe this for a second. Do you have a source?

Now if the car was ever repurchased by Tesla, they could remove it and then resell it without but I'll bet anyone who thinks they should have had it never did because it was resold by Tesla at some point.

If was after their switchover to life of first owner and not car, then of course it won't transfer. If you buy a new S/X today with free unlimited supercharging for life, it will not transfer.

So to answer my own question, there is one report of someone who bought a P85 on the tesla.com forum from a used car dealer. This included screen shots of tesla confirming that FUSC is removed from any cars sold by third party dealers or vendors or any time the car ever gets wholesaled.

Someone else posted that if the Monroney sticker listed it, Tesla can't remove it, but my Monroney sticker says "Supercharging INCLUDED". It says nothing about it being free although one could argue that it can't be included on the sticker if you have to pay for it later. If it had said "Supercharging Enabled INCLUDED" then you might be able to make that argument. Ironically, my "purchase agreement" says "Supercharging Enabled" but still nothing about free for life.

I'm pretty sure in my big Tesla envelope of docs when I first got it there is a document that spells out the transferability but I could have a faulty memory.

Tesla has said many times that the FUSC followed the car. More importantly, they've said FUSC is a feature tied to the car which certainly implies that it will always be with the car unless Tesla buys the car back and then removes that feature. So it's already astonishing that they are outright claiming that if a FUSC for life car gets wholesaled that they are allowed to remove it.

I have yet to hear of a private party sale having FUSC stripped but given they did it to wholesaled cars never having been back in Tesla's ownership, I would not be surprised to see them try that next.

The fact that the wording of my terms changed is very disturbing.

Free Unlimited Supercharging Removed Without Notice? | Tesla
What year model S have transferrable free supercharging? | Tesla

I received a written response from Tesla regarding the transferability of FUSC for my P85D:

"Thank you for reaching out to Tesla support! In reviewing, I am seeing that your free supercharging will transfer if you sell the vehicle privately. If the vehicle does get sold back to us the free unlimited supercharging may not transfer with ownership .I do hope this has offered clarification. Let us know if you have any further questions or if there’s anything else we can assist you with. Thank you for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
I received a written response from Tesla regarding the transferability of FUSC for my P85D:

"Thank you for reaching out to Tesla support! In reviewing, I am seeing that your free supercharging will transfer if you sell the vehicle privately. If the vehicle does get sold back to us the free unlimited supercharging may not transfer with ownership .I do hope this has offered clarification. Let us know if you have any further questions or if there’s anything else we can assist you with. Thank you for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

Who did you email for this? Thanks.

Also, and I'm hesitant to point this out, but the response doesn't guarantee that they won't change this at some point in the future but given that the car was sold advertised with transfer ability of the FUSC for life, I think they'd lose any legal challenge if they tried to retroactively change it to cars that that were sold when this was the policy.

DO NOT TRUST TESLA! Check out this thread if you want to see how Tesla treats owners after purchase:

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software
Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

Tesla will absolutely not hesitate to remove something of value that you purchased if it benefits them financially. All potential Tesla customers should be very scared. Also do not trust any of Tesla's representations about range, acceleration, or charging speed. Those are only good at the time of purchase, after which time Tesla will remove range, reduce your acceleration, and throttle your charging speeds.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla one day removed the FUSC just because.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka