Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Unlike most cars Tesla only uses a camera for cruise control (no radar). Also unlike most cars they only the same camera camera for automatic wipers (no IR blaster).

To ensure that the camera can get a clear view of the road ahead the car must be able to activate the windshield wipers.

The same camera is used as a rain sensor (instead of a dedicated IR unit like most cars). As a consequence the automatic wipers perform poorly and simultaneously must be active to allow cruise control or autopilot to activate.

Reactions: HelloJP
On behalf of my elderly aunt and uncle: They complained to me today that when using TACC, the windshield wipers turn on even though it's not raining at all. I didn't believe them. I drove a 1/4 mile with them to see this for myself and it did!! The second I pressed down once on the right stalk, the wipers started even though it was as dry as the desert outside. Even after disengaging TACC, the wipers continued. I would have to turn the Auto wipers to Off to get them to stop with TACC on or off. Currently, every time they activate TACC, then go into the screen to turn the wipers off. I've reconfigured their left button to quickly control the wipers and turn them off.

Is there a camera that needs to be cleaned properly?

Is this the same issue as described in this thread?

Their Model Y is from March 2022 and still has the US sensors, if that makes a difference. They are also on 2023.26.x.

I just experienced this today. Very frustrating and really pathetic hardware/software. It took me a while to figure out I had to turn off TACC then I could manually turn the wipers off. So the choice for me today was no CC or CC with wipers running on a sunny and clear day. Getting pretty frustrated with this car; the distractions are dangerous. This on top of phantom braking and "crazy" braking. One thing for sure, no way on gawd's green earth am I going to even attempt full self driving if this simple sh!t doesn't work. What's next??? Geez, I've relied heavily on ordinary cruise control for a decade in my MS without issue.

I just experienced this today. Very frustrating and really pathetic hardware/software. It took me a while to figure out I had to turn off TACC then I could manually turn the wipers off. So the choice for me today was no CC or CC with wipers running on a sunny and clear day. Getting pretty frustrated with this car; the distractions are dangerous. This on top of phantom braking and "crazy" braking. One thing for sure, no way on gawd's green earth am I going to even attempt full self driving if this simple sh!t doesn't work. What's next??? Geez, I've relied heavily on ordinary cruise control for a decade in my MS without issue.
Updated thoughts on this: My car was parked outside the night before this happened (and the only time this has happened) and it was hard rain all night. The next morning the inside of my windshield was so wet I had to squeegee to clear it and wipe the dash that ended up covered with water. Defrost wasn't anywhere near enough. The windows were closed. Water is getting into the car somehow and I suspect there was moisture on the camera(s). This is a guess. I have never had to clear the inside of a windshield with so much water on it before in any car.

Updated thoughts on this: My car was parked outside the night before this happened (and the only time this has happened) and it was hard rain all night. The next morning the inside of my windshield was so wet I had to squeegee to clear it and wipe the dash that ended up covered with water. Defrost wasn't anywhere near enough. The windows were closed. Water is getting into the car somehow and I suspect there was moisture on the camera(s). This is a guess. I have never had to clear the inside of a windshield with so much water on it before in any car.
Oh wow, yeah that is not good. Did you get the windshield replaced recently or something? Obviously you need to address this, regardless if it has anything to do with the wipers.

This was not the first time it happened. It was not raining this morning I was driving around 80 mph, The windshield wiper turned on automatically. I had the windshield wiper set to auto and when I tried to manually set it off the off button was greyed out? Anyone experienced this? Could it be some sort of software problem?
Yes! It is apparently an intentional software problem. When speed control is engaged. Tesla thinks that the windshield wiper should not be capable of turning off. Unfortunately, the auto setting is not all that intelligent sometimes, presumably because some sensor is obscured, it turns on unbidden and unwelcome. I hope Tesla is listening.

Yes! It is apparently an intentional software problem. When speed control is engaged. Tesla thinks that the windshield wiper should not be capable of turning off. Unfortunately, the auto setting is not all that intelligent sometimes, presumably because some sensor is obscured, it turns on unbidden and unwelcome. I hope Tesla is listening.
There is no sensor, just the camera. Hence why it works so 'well'.

I see.
Yeah, I already had this, that wipers just started working on the sunny day... so I switched them to off and now use only in manual mode :(((
I'm having the same problem, and I came up with the same solution which is less than satisfactory! A couple people have suggested using the voice commands to turn the wipers on so I'm not fiddling around with something while my windshield is obscured with rain and the windshield wipers are not going on, and also using the left stalk, although it always seems to turn the washer fluid on as well which I don't particularly need. It seems to me to be counterintuitive to not have a sensitivity adjustment for the auto wipers. Hadn't thought of looking for bug splat on the camera when they go on during a completely dry sunny day...🤔 Will have to take a look

@ionsphere I got used to this approach instead of voice commands: when you make a stalk button push for a single wipe, then using a left scroll wheel during that moment, pushing it left or right you can select the wipers mode. This helps me to keep the hands on steering wheel and not trying to find the wiper mode buttons on the touchscreen.
Also I have noticed auto mode became better, but still not perfect. Elon told, that auto wipers is the last model that was not trained well for AI yet. So the fix for that will definitely going to happen.

Yup, thought we did plenty of research before buying our 2023 Model Y. Turns out not so much. I mean, the automatic wipers problem has literally been solved for decades, so who in the world would expect a modern vehicle to be defective in that way? OMG, so annoyed. So yeah, we use the voice commands, "Wipers minimum," "Wipers medium," "Wipers Max," and "Wipers Off" along with the press & hold left steering wheel button for when we're in areas where there's no cell coverage and therefore no voice recognition. What a ridiculous thing the Muskrat did to this car. (sigh). First time this happened darn near killed us - typical downpour for this area, with inches of water on the road in seconds, auto wipers didn't work at all, and we were frantically trying to get them going without getting wiped out.

Been using the one shot on the left stalk for years. 2018 LRM3 pretty much the same on screen interface as the Y, I think. After the left stalk one timer, it brings up the "wiper menu" on the touch screen. No hunting for it on the touch screen.
Yes, it's hard to believe that a techno cars like these should struggle with simple thing like rain sensors.
Lots of thing about Teslas are head scratchers. In many ways its more like a computer with wheels.

Reactions: Dracaris
I had a 500-mile road trip a couple of days ago, and along the way were spotty scattered rainstorms. And since driving on Autopilot, the Auto Wipers is a default option in this case. Well.. I was surprised at how well and accurately it worked. Definitely better than a year ago when I just bought the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Dracaris
I too, have my struggles with the autowipers. One struggle I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread has to do with the speed - they often wipe fast and furiously when it’s a light drizzle or has even already stopped. And I can’t turn it off due to being in auto pilot/FSD.

Ive started to suspect it’s deliberate on Tesla’s parts to get us to have to replace wiper blades frequently.

-Paul

As a new owner, I am still ramping up my irritation level on the auto rain detecting wipers. I do believe they use the (front only?) cameras to look for raindrops and are frequently fooled by some residual and insignificant debris. I am wondering if anyone has tried something to keep the front camera area cleaner, like ceramic coating or even rain-x?

If only there were a simple solution to USS removal!

I'm a new owner as well and I'm shocked how bad the wiper logic is. My 7 year old Fusion did a much better job. Past that, my BMW 10 years ago did a better job. This just isn't that hard to do, and it is far from a new feature in cars. Somehow, it's beyond their capability.

Welcome to Tesla vision.

View attachment 966206View attachment 966207

Edit: if cruise control or autopilot are in use the ability to turn off the windshield wipers is greyed out.
same problem here Model Y - SW 2023.38.200.1 on engaged CC ( suddenly they will start to work ) you can not stop wipers except to turn off CC, but in my case only during the night when im driving trough the city lights. (strange)

During days no problems !