Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper issues (modes and settings)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least for me, the vast majority of the time the auto-sensing settings are useless due to their inconsistent behavior (usually wiping too infrequently), so I either end up using the constant wiping setting (and look like those who have their wipers set on high at the first sign of a single rain drop) or prod the end of the stalk to get a single swipe as needed. :mad:

If there is any way whatsoever to tie the swipe interval of the "auto-sensing" setting to a control on the touchscreen, it would be a godsend!

Or, more accurately, that would provide the simple feature found on any moderately priced auto where you have multiple settings that provide progressively more frequent swipe intervals. :eek:

I drove in the rain for the first time yesterday, and compared to my Jag XKR the auto wipers are just useless. I spent so much time dicking with them I missed my exit on the freeway and went 20 miles out of my way. It was just light drizzel but neither of the auto modes did anything. The low speed manual mode just sent the wipers juddering across the windscreen after the first wipe, the high speed was ridiculous for the amount of rain. I was forced to press the button to do single wipes every 10 seconds or so.... thats not good on a $100K car !

Comon Tesla this is the easy bit !

I drove in the rain for the first time yesterday, and compared to my Jag XKR the auto wipers are just useless. I spent so much time dicking with them I missed my exit on the freeway and went 20 miles out of my way. It was just light drizzel but neither of the auto modes did anything. The low speed manual mode just sent the wipers juddering across the windscreen after the first wipe, the high speed was ridiculous for the amount of rain. I was forced to press the button to do single wipes every 10 seconds or so.... thats not good on a $100K car !

Comon Tesla this is the easy bit !

I'd love to have them reprogram one of the auto modes as a manual interval mode, then control the interval from a slide on the touch screen or one of the thumb wheels on the steering wheel.

My Leaf has a rain sensor and I'd rather have a manual interval mode there too.

I'd love to have them reprogram one of the auto modes as a manual interval mode, then control the interval from a slide on the touch screen or one of the thumb wheels on the steering wheel.

That's an excellent suggestion! While my current ICE's auto wipers work pretty good, there are times when I have to fiddle with the sensitivity to get them to work right, and having a plain old interval option would be great.

It was just light drizzel but neither of the auto modes did anything. The low speed manual mode just sent the wipers juddering across the windscreen after the first wipe, the high speed was ridiculous for the amount of rain. I was forced to press the button to do single wipes every 10 seconds or so....
This is pretty much my experience on a 120 mile drive this weekend. I want an intermittent mode. The auto modes aren't useful or consistent.

called in for a service

This is pretty much my experience on a 120 mile drive this weekend. I want an intermittent mode. The auto modes aren't useful or consistent.

I placed a service call with Tesla, we shall see what happens. As far as I'm concerned they don't work right and apparently it's not just my car. I live in Florida and it rains nearly every afternoon in the summer.

I got a call yesterday from Tesla Service Center in Tampa; they said there was an update on the rain sensor and they could come to my house and replace it at my convienience. I was nice, seeing as they have to drive all the way to Orlando from Tampa, and told them to wait till they bring the rims and spoiler. Apparently they have had rims all along but not enough 21" tires. I think it needs a S/W update also to stop the dousing we get on startup. It almost got me coming home from work, someone called "nice car" as I was getting in, and I just got the door closed in time.

Seems like Tesla is listening to us and wants us happy.

Finally the outside cover was in stock so I ordered one right away, expensive but the biggest one they had at AutoZone is way too short and blew away in the wind and I lost it.

Gary

In low amounts of rain, I find myself activating the single swipe manually. I'm doing the intermittent wiping myself.

The four settings are really inadequate for the range of different kinds of rain people will experience.

I got v4.2 yesterday and noticed some improvement in the rains sensor/wiper function (they actually activate the wipers from time-to-time) but it is still inadequate for safe driving in light rain, even on the higher setting. This needs to be fixed.

Finally got updated to 4.2 over the weekend (was on 1.15.14 since November), one thing I immediately noticed as different was the behavior of the timing of the wiping and spraying of wiper fluid.

Not sure if that was changed in the earlier 4.x releases, but in the version I had before, it would start the wipers and spray at the same time, resulting in most of the wiper fluid being deflected by the wiper arm or not getting a chance to spread out on the glass. New behavior, the wiper fluid gets a head start and the wipers run less. Much better!

My main complaint with the wipers is the massive inconsistency of the rain detection. Sometimes it will let things go until you can't see; occasionally it will go full blast trying to clean a windshield with a few drops on it. Once in a while it even works properly!!!