Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper issues (modes and settings)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I blame the design of the wiper stalk. On my BMW it was a pushbutton toggle which was always reset to off each time the car turned off. With the Tesla wiper stalk it's easy to leave it on by accident (and I'm not sure they can easily ignore that the wipers were left on, or make weight in the drivers seat a condition, otherwise this would have been handled a long time ago.)

Right now, the wipers will work when the car is in the equivalent of "Accessory Mode" (i.e. before you tap the brake pedal to turn the car "On"). Couldn't they just change the logic to only have the wipers work when the car is "On"? That way, you'd be in with the door closed before the wiper makes it's first pass.

Right now, the wipers will work when the car is in the equivalent of "Accessory Mode" (i.e. before you tap the brake pedal to turn the car "On"). Couldn't they just change the logic to only have the wipers work when the car is "On"? That way, you'd be in with the door closed before the wiper makes it's first pass.

That would make me happy (and dry) too! Just fix it Tesla!!

Yes yes. Or I may by a scuba suit to survive the next slush storm.

Right now, the wipers will work when the car is in the equivalent of "Accessory Mode" (i.e. before you tap the brake pedal to turn the car "On"). Couldn't they just change the logic to only have the wipers work when the car is "On"?

Nope.
That breaks drive-in movies. Sorry.

(Edit)
However, it's perfectly reasonable to have the *auto mode* wipers not operate when the car is in "accessory mode". The "fully on" wipers need to still work in accessory mode.

If I'm at the drive-in, or otherwise parked, I can certainly spare the attention to turn the wipers on by hand as needed.

(Edit 2)
I guess I'm saying "Auto mode should be smarter. However, manual mode should NOT try to be smarter than me."

(Edit 3)
FWIW, like several other posters I don't use the auto mode at all, I consider it broken.

Last edited:
Understand that people had problems with Model S wiper blades at early introduction of car. Are people still experiencing problems? I am a new owner and I have nothing but problemswith my wipers while driving in wet and dirty winter conditions in Ottawa.

There are several threads on this. The short answer is yes. Below are a couple of the threads. You'll find links to the best replacement blades to buy, which are Bosch Icon wiper blades.

P85D wiper blades

Washer fluid / wiper performance question

There are several threads on this. The short answer is yes. Below are a couple of the threads. You'll find links to the best replacement blades to buy, which are Bosch Icon wiper blades.

P85D wiper blades

Washer fluid / wiper performance question

Thanks - followed up with site and noted that many others are experiencing the same problems that I have encountered. I will definitely be bringing situation up with Service reps on return from my current travels down under.

Understand that people had problems with Model S wiper blades at early introduction of car. Are people still experiencing problems? I am a new owner and I have nothing but problemswith my wipers while driving in wet and dirty winter conditions in Ottawa.

Mine have not been that bad, actually. Whatever blades Tesla uses work fine, and I have an hour long, 60 km (each way) commute in all kinds of weather. These are my concerns:

1. The wipers cannot be stood up vertically and can only be raised a couple of inches off the glass. In the winter, it's very common for folks to stand the wipers up when parked outside to prevent them from freezing to the glass and to make scraping snow/ice easier. "Service Mode" helps a bit since they will park middle sweep and not get "snowed in" to the cowl where the glass meets the hood.

2. The washers could be better. I prefer the sprayers that produce a fan-like arc across the glass rather than the two little streams.

3. Okay, this one's weird: I hate the delay, then final wipe that happens after you use the washers. I get that it's meant to sweep off any excess fluid that may have dribbled down, but it causes me real grief in the winter. My commute takes me on salt-laden highways where I'm subjected to a steady stream of salt spray from other cars. I will use the washers to clean the glass, but enough new salt spray gets on my glass during the delay interval that by the time that final wipe comes, it just smears the new salt all over the windshield.

2. The washers could be better. I prefer the sprayers that produce a fan-like arc across the glass rather than the two little streams.

3. Okay, this one's weird: I hate the delay, then final wipe that happens after you use the washers. I get that it's meant to sweep off any excess fluid that may have dribbled down, but it causes me real grief in the winter. My commute takes me on salt-laden highways where I'm subjected to a steady stream of salt spray from other cars. I will use the washers to clean the glass, but enough new salt spray gets on my glass during the delay interval that by the time that final wipe comes, it just smears the new salt all over the windshield.

Fully agree with point 2.

Point 3, I feel the same about it but still think the system should work that way, since the conditions we drive in during winter are not the most common. Maybe an option through settings to disable that last wipe would be the solution...

Point 3, I feel the same about it but still think the system should work that way, since the conditions we drive in during winter are not the most common. Maybe an option through settings to disable that last wipe would be the solution...

Yeah, it's a really minor thing. Every other car I've had will give one or two additional wipes immediately after you let off the sprayer. The Model S is the only one that has introduced this delay. I drive in so much salt spray that I am sure I'm the exception. I've had a fair bit of corrosion that's had to be dealt with as a result of these conditions, I'm sure.

Yeah, it's a really minor thing. Every other car I've had will give one or two additional wipes immediately after you let off the sprayer. The Model S is the only one that has introduced this delay. I drive in so much salt spray that I am sure I'm the exception. I've had a fair bit of corrosion that's had to be dealt with as a result of these conditions, I'm sure.

I don't have corrosion on my Model S.... yet. But this is my first winter.

I also have to deal with huge amounts of salt spray, because of a long commuting on the Norwegian motorways. It sucks!

With the 6.1 (2.2.167) software I think, in wiper auto 1 mode, I recently got the normal
slow and faster wiping in a shower, but the shower turned into a real rain for a few
minutes, and the wipers went into "insane" mode, wack, wack, wack, ... like they
were trying to tear themselves off. Also, I had the impression that the wiper speed
algorithm was vehicle speed aware.

I don't have corrosion on my Model S.... yet. But this is my first winter.

I also have to deal with huge amounts of salt spray, because of a long commuting on the Norwegian motorways. It sucks!

Tesla has dealt with all my issues, but I've had:

-both side turn signal repeaters rusted out
-all the chrome corroded off the "T" logo on the trunk lip
-mirror brackets corroded leaving big grey streaks down the doors
-door triangle window brackets corroded with corrosion creeping up the glass on the inside of the car
-a couple of underbody or suspension pieces at the front of the car corroded and replaced by Tesla at an annual inspection (I was not aware until they found the problem).
-some rust on the chrome strip across the trunk lip (cleaned, polished and waxed myself).

No problems with the car body itself, and I believe a number of the issues I had with my early car have been re-engineered on newer models. I think several issues were caused by galvanic action where dissimilar metals met (aluminum bracket, steel bolt etc.)

Oh, now that you mention the galvanic action, I remember I have one place where rust is appearing:

IMAG0234.jpg

I have my annual service scheduled in a couple of weeks, so I'll let them know.

Anyway, we're getting off topic here :)