Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield wipers come on when I go into Cruise Control.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From all the posts I've read here and elsewhere, about the only common trigger is that it happens in a Tesla.

For me, about the only place it still happens regularly is in one specific spot on the freeway on my commute home and only in the 3-4 right lanes: it doesn't do it if I am in the carpool or left lane (sometimes in the #2 lane, but not consistently).

I would LOVE to know what this can be attributed to!
Take a good look at the environment when that’s happening I had a buddy who had a specific pattern on the wall in his garage and he kept making service appointments because the wipers would go on every time he went into the garage turns out the pattern on the wall trick the vehicle into thinking it was rain. He covered up the patterns on the wall, one day and pulled in, and it didn’t happen..

From all the posts I've read here and elsewhere, about the only common trigger is that it happens in a Tesla.

For me, about the only place it still happens regularly is in one specific spot on the freeway on my commute home and only in the 3-4 right lanes: it doesn't do it if I am in the carpool or left lane (sometimes in the #2 lane, but not consistently).

It could be anything. I think it may have something to do with the type or the aim of headlights on the oncoming vehicles, but I could be way off.

Just another reason it's a fool's errand IMO to try to use cameras for all functions when sensors do the job 100% reliably.

Your cameras can deceive you. Don't trust them.

Reactions: MarkoP

The light pattern there probably looks like rain to the camera. The only thing that can be tried that sometimes work is thorough cleaning of the glass in front of the cameras both inside and outside the glass. There could be dust or water marks that makes things worse.

The only thing that can be tried that sometimes work is thorough cleaning of the glass in front of the cameras both inside and outside the glass. There could be dust or water marks that makes things worse.
I think too much credit is given to "cleaning the glass." Assuming one is keeping their car relatively clean, there normally isn't enough to affect this. I have seen zero difference between when my car is dirty and when it has just been cleaned: and of late, I always "polish" in front of the camera with a lint-free cloth after a car wash.

And the likelihood of the INSIDE getting dirty is close to nil: that glass is in a protected (though not sealed) environment and unless the driver is a smoker, there's not a whole lot that can cause the inside of the windshield to get dirty in front of the camera.

Reactions: Amber85
I think too much credit is given to "cleaning the glass." Assuming one is keeping their car relatively clean, there normally isn't enough to affect this. I have seen zero difference between when my car is dirty and when it has just been cleaned: and of late, I always "polish" in front of the camera with a lint-free cloth after a car wash.

And the likelihood of the INSIDE getting dirty is close to nil: that glass is in a protected (though not sealed) environment and unless the driver is a smoker, there's not a whole lot that can cause the inside of the windshield to get dirty in front of the camera.
There's been reported cases where cleaning those areas drastically improves performance.
There's a case right on this thread just from last week!

It's not necessarily dirt, it's water marks or it can be some dust. Shining a bright light at an angle usually can show if there are marks. Some people have been able to get Tesla to cover cleaning the inside under warranty.

I have seen no other trick that is quite as effective.

It doesn't work for every case obviously, but it's something that can be tried.

I have the same issue with my brand new M3P. Erratic wiper behaviour when CC is engaged. VERY annoying and disappointing. I hope extra cleaning of the camera area will help but whats the use of having wipers switch to auto if they can't succeed in cleaning the camera area ? They simply goo wild.

Reactions: Amber85
Same issue here, just bought a Tesla Model Y, love the car but the auto wipers when I turn on cruise control is ridiculous. The wipers don't reach where the camera is anyway so that excuse is just silly. They should fix this - it's a bug. Even if it's by design, bad design is still a bug.

My workaround is to engage Cruise Control then hold down the left scroll wheel to cause the Quick Actions menu to come up. The windshield wipers are on the list, if you can remember how many down the list it is you can get to it quickly without looking at it, and turn this annoyance off.

My workaround is to engage Cruise Control then hold down the left scroll wheel to cause the Quick Actions menu to come up. The windshield wipers are on the list, if you can remember how many down the list it is you can get to it quickly without looking at it, and turn this annoyance off.
Another way to handle it that I easily developed the muscle memory for this (so I don't need to look at the screen):
  1. Push the button for a single wipe. This will bring up the wiper mini-window
  2. Use the left scroll wheel and push left five times (and you can do more) to get to "off"
Yes, this adds another unneeded wipe, but until the latest firmware update, it never happened unless it was raining.

Same issue here, just bought a Tesla Model Y, love the car but the auto wipers when I turn on cruise control is ridiculous. The wipers don't reach where the camera is anyway so that excuse is just silly. They should fix this - it's a bug. Even if it's by design, bad design is still a bug.

Huh? The wipers very much do reach and wipe where the cameras are on my car.

Reactions: E90alex and Ther0ck

When we purchased our x the same thing happened. We requested service and a mobile tech came out and fixed it and now it wipes across. It was a quick fix and I imagine if you put a service request in, they will adjust it for you.

Well, according to your signature, you have a 3 and the post you are replying to specifically says they have a Y.

Now, I don't know if the wipers don't reach the camera on the Y (TBH, I would be surprised if they didn't), but be mindful of the facts.
I don't see why the Model Y would be any different, the relative placement of the cameras vs windshield is largely the same, as well as the wipe pattern.

A quick Google found they work the same on the Model Y (wipers also wipe the cameras):

Reactions: E90alex

So for those insisting that the windshield just needs cleaned, shouldn’t Tesla have ensured that this area was cleaned before we picked our brand new vehicle up?

So for those insisting that the windshield just needs cleaned, shouldn’t Tesla have ensured that this area was cleaned before we picked our brand new vehicle up?
Nope, especially not during quarter end rushes. The reps don't have time to do a very thorough prep of the vehicle. You are expected to check the vehicle and report any issues. If you are taking a truck delivery, the car is even just dropped off directly.