Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winrun R330 tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm unfortunately not enjoying the Michelin Super Sports so far. The car appears more unstable on acceleration - almost as if some wheels are going faster and then are pulled back giving the car a fraction of lateral movement. Also feels like they are over inflated (290) and not making good contact.

It may not turn out to be the tyres - could be something else but will take it into Tesla to have a look. Didn't happen on the Conti's but could be a myriad of explanations.

Last edited:
I gave up on low profile wheels/tyres many years ago after a disastrous experience with a different car. Would not touch them with a barge pole. EVERYTHING about them is expensive.

Agree. In retrospect - would not opt for large rims again (too many compromises). Not sure I would keep the stock Tesla 19''' rims though - would opt for something a little sexier.

I'm unfortunately not enjoying the Michelin Super Sports so far. The car appears more unstable on acceleration - almost as if some wheels are going faster and then are pulled back giving the car a fraction of lateral movement. Also feels like they are over inflated (290) and not making good contact.

It may not turn out to be the tyres - could be something else but will take it into Tesla to have a look. Didn't happen on the Conti's but could be a myriad of explanations.

290 is 42psi, that's correct for 21s cold, how many kms have the tyres covered so far?

Isn't the range typically lower for a new set of tires? Seems like I read that.

I read on aTMC thread a few years back that 3000 miles (almost 5000kms) was probably the best range, when I changed tyres the range went up around 15% for a short time until settling back after 200kms or so.
The 3000 mile theory would best be checked on the second set of tyres because when a rookie Tesla owner gets in to their car for the first time it's more about enjoying the acceleration rather than the driving range.

Isn't the range typically lower for a new set of tires? Seems like I read that.

An an update

Since the post I have driven to Phillip Island a few times. Tyres still squeamish. Definitely afraid to accelerate or slow down rapidly. Can be really scary if accelerate to overtake.

Hard to explain - at speed the tyres feel like they are horribly over inflated and have minimal road contact. On acceleration the car will pull to the left and on braking it will pull to the right. It feels like (on acceleration) one side of the car speeds up faster than the other and then sorts itself out.

Will give it a bit more time.

An an update

Since the post I have driven to Phillip Island a few times. Tyres still squeamish. Definitely afraid to accelerate or slow down rapidly. Can be really scary if accelerate to overtake.

Hard to explain - at speed the tyres feel like they are horribly over inflated and have minimal road contact. On acceleration the car will pull to the left and on braking it will pull to the right. It feels like (on acceleration) one side of the car speeds up faster than the other and then sorts itself out.

Following with interest.

An an update

Have you had the wheel alignment checked?

An an update

Hi mate, I wouldn't wait any longer. That does not sound like a tyre issue to me - Unless one of your tyres is vastly under inflated. Which you've obviously checked for, perhaps it might be an idea to phone the Tesla fault number and have them go through your vehicle data. Perhaps there's some drive/regen disparity or something equally weird, that just happened to coincide when you changed tyres.

If this doesn't reveal anything I'd be having a Tesla service technician take the car for a drive. I had Michelins on my car, I now have Continentals because they wear a bit better; however the Michelin's definitely handled better.Unless there is some sort of delamination or other physical problem with one tyre, they most definitely shouldn't handle like that. I'd get it checked out, does sound like a serious safety issue one way or the other. Good luck.

An an update

You have some mechanical issue. I strongly doubt it is the tyres. At a minimum let tesla check the 4 wheel alignment urgently. There also may be suspension problems with nuts needing to be retorqued. At 40000 km, my suspension was retorqued as part of replacing the drive unit and my car feels and sounds a whole lot different, much tighter and sure footed and better handling and that was before I put on the Primacy 3 STs. With the new tyres it is a whole new ballgame again, really great handling on my rear wheel drive non P car!!