Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this time of year in Seattle, we average 300 wh/m. Temperatures are in the 40s. So depending on where you live, this would be normal. Check the many threads on range and power consumption. The EPA rating seems to be based on about 240wh/m, but in summer we average somewhere between 250 and 260 for just normal driving around town.

Reactions: Longymire
At this time of year in Seattle, we average 300 wh/m. Temperatures are in the 40s. So depending on where you live, this would be normal. Check the many threads on range and power consumption. The EPA rating seems to be based on about 240wh/m, but in summer we average somewhere between 250 and 260 for just normal driving around town.
Thanks for the quick reply! And I'm glad to hear this is near normal!

Please tell me it is. 92 isn't bad but this is my average from the past few days.
Any and all input is welcome and ways to get better miles. I spend a majority on the highway. Seat heaters and ac on 1 because of mad condensation.

The following is turned off:
Sentry mode
Overheat
Summon
Trip planner
Navigate beta
And a few other things.

Is this your first winter with your car? Was it raining or were the streets wet? In my model 3P, my lifetime consumption is 267 over 15k miles which is good for a model 3P with 20s. During last winter in southern california when I bought the car, from december 18 when I bought it, to march of 19, my consumption average was around 310 for the EXACT same commute, and would spike up to 333 or so if it was raining... even if I had the heat set to 69.

Translation, yes its normal, nothing wrong with your car, depending on how far you drove, whether it was wet on the ground etc... and I would bet that you had not been actually DRIVING 30 miles, when you took that picture. You likely had been driving about 3-8 miles and then selected the 30 mile range projection.

Is this your first winter with your car? Was it raining or were the streets wet? In my model 3P, my lifetime consumption is 267 over 15k miles which is good for a model 3P with 20s. During last winter in southern california when I bought the car, from december 18 when I bought it, to march of 19, my consumption average was around 310 for the EXACT same commute, and would spike up to 333 or so if it was raining... even if I had the heat set to 69.

Translation, yes its normal, nothing wrong with your car, depending on how far you drove, whether it was wet on the ground etc... and I would bet that you had not been actually DRIVING 30 miles, when you took that picture. You likely had been driving about 3-8 miles and then selected the 30 mile range projection.
I drove roughly 24 miles. And yes first Winter... Newbie and just curious. Not many of my friends have a tesla so this community board is incredible! I'm glad it's normal!! Thank you so much!

If you were on a trip, you would get more than 92 miles out of one "tank" of energy. The short(er) trips in colder weather will consume energy bringing the battery up to temp. Rain / wet streets, REALLY kill range (more than I knew they would).

If you are on a trip, plan to use about 30% more energy to get to the same place in the winter. If you are commuting and not using the full range of the car in one day, you can just pretty much ignore it, knowing that it will simply cost you more to drive your car in the winter than it does in the summer, even if you are in a temperate climate like I am (southern california). Anyone with REAL cold weather will see more of a hit than I did / do and as I mentioned my regular commute goes from 260-270 kWh used to 300-330 kWh used, for the exact same daily commute to work and back depending on weather...and its not freezing here.

The heater actually really kills range too btw. In a ICE car you have hot air from the engine. In an Ev you dont, so running the heater takes a lot of energy... more than many people know or plan for.

If you were on a trip, you would get more than 92 miles out of one "tank" of energy. The short(er) trips in colder weather will consume energy bringing the battery up to temp. Rain / wet streets, REALLY kill range (more than I knew they would).

If you are on a trip, plan to use about 30% more energy to get to the same place in the winter. If you are commuting and not using the full range of the car in one day, you can just pretty much ignore it, knowing that it will simply cost you more to drive your car in the winter than it does in the summer, even if you are in a temperate climate like I am (southern california). Anyone with REAL cold weather will see more of a hit than I did / do and as I mentioned my regular commute goes from 260-270 kWh used to 300-330 kWh used, for the exact same daily commute to work and back depending on weather...and its not freezing here.

The heater actually really kills range too btw. In a ICE car you have hot air from the engine. In an Ev you dont, so running the heater takes a lot of energy... more than many people know or plan for.
Thank you... Extremely informative! I figured the heater took a lot but I didn't know the rain was my enemy?!

I got stuck in a snowy parking lot today in the mountains. The hill sloped away slightly, but that was enough that the AWD M3 with snow tires couldn't get traction in the wet snow. I used slip start. I'm pretty sure my old Subaru could have done it.
I think the Tesla snow tires are too smooth or the high pressure reduces the grip. I got free by clearing out the snow from the tires and throwing gravel under the wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Mrcarcrazy
I’m not a snow cat, but I lived in a place that was prone to retarded ice storms. 1.5” of Ice overnight. Tires were key. Nothing else mattered. (I was still on race rubber because I’m retarded). Anyway, It was all tire. I don’t pretend to know what you experienced. But I’m very curious about your snow tires. Sounds like you were on ice. Not snow.

in another area I lived it was about 1/4” Ice with a foot of snow on top. Do ground clearance was very important. (I drove a Jeep Wrangler). My wife’s BMW would get stuck in our driveway.

Are you sure that it was a traction problem or was it a snow too deep issue.
I had an old Honda that I pulled off into a rest stop and it couldn't get any traction when I started up agsin
Finally figured out that I had slid up onto the snow. After a few minutes of rocking the car and packing the snow, I easily pulled away.

Agree with the OP, the current winter package is not that impressive - certainly less than Merc with Michelin Pilot Sport under same conditions. I wonder if this can also be tweaked by software or is this just grip. Anyone with Blizzaks or Nokians on model 3?

So it was these?

Model 3 18" Aero Wheel and Winter Tire Package
  • 4 x 18X8.5J Aero wheels
  • 4 x 235/45/18 - PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO™ tires
  • 4 x tire pressure sensors
Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 9.04.25 PM.png