Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem isn't unique to Tesla, I had to turn the TC off on my RWD BMW anytime I encountered an icy incline.

I agree that they could make the system smarter to allow more wheelspin when forward speed is less than 5km/h and temperature is under 5C. (Or whatever inputs they choose).

I still want to be able to disable (or at least dial back) the stability control when I'm on the track.

I really think we should not have to mess with traction control (especially that it's not easily accessible for urgent situations). The software should be able manage these situations automatically. No way my wife will remember to do this if she's not getting traction. I think a winter driving mode or a smart temperature detection should modify the traction control behavior.

The problem isn't unique to Tesla, I had to turn the TC off on my RWD BMW anytime I encountered an icy incline.

I agree that they could make the system smarter to allow more wheelspin when forward speed is less than 5km/h and temperature is under 5C. (Or whatever inputs they choose).

I still want to be able to disable (or at least dial back) the stability control when I'm on the track.

But Tesla should be smarter than the others. Also, let's not forget there's no button to press on the dash like other cars. You have to go thru menus which is too long on urgent situations.

In this video, Elon states that disabling stability control is not legal... at least in the US. Sorry, it's a long Q&A session in Norway and I'm not sure of the exact time in the video.

I didn't re-watch it but I think Elon said it might not be legal and JB confirmed that was in the US though I got the impression they might not be rock solid on that fact. I'm not 100% sure but I think other cars may allow this - possibly via launch control so this may not be accurate. Either way I think when the questioner mentioned that they might want to to do this on a track, Elon said they might look into it?

I didn't re-watch it but I think Elon said it might not be legal and JB confirmed that was in the US though I got the impression they might not be rock solid on that fact. I'm not 100% sure but I think other cars may allow this - possibly via launch control so this may not be accurate. Either way I think when the questioner mentioned that they might want to to do this on a track, Elon said they might look into it?

My previous Cadillac CTS had a "hidden" feature to put the Stabilitrac system into "Competitive Mode" whatever that means. You had to do some fancy clicking on the Traction Control on/off button and the message "Stabilitrac in Competitive Mode" would come up on the display. I don't think I could turn it right off. Anyone else seen a car where stability control can be turned right off?

My question here is that stability control doesn't have anything to do with wheel spin. That's traction control which you can turn off. Stability control has saved me from doing doughnuts on many occasions.

He is wrong, clearly. I can disable it in my track car (C6 Vette). It has three levels of disengagement, in fact.

Correct, my former car 2011 BMW 335i had also 2 steps disable.

- Normal (All on)
- Fun mode (DTC, for Dynamic traction Control, like current Tesla OFF mode, allows unlimited wheel spin but stability control stays on. Very useful in deep snow)
- All OFF (really all off, you are on your own, like in 1990)

Correct, my former car 2011 BMW 335i had also 2 steps disable.

- Normal (All on)
- Fun mode (DTC, for Dynamic traction Control, like current Tesla OFF mode, allows unlimited wheel spin but stability control stays on. Very useful in deep snow)
- All OFF (really all off, you are on your own, like in 1990)
+1
The only thing you have is ABS
:)
I would really like Tesla to put option to fully defeat TC, just like many modern performance cars

It's not about whether it's required
I just want to have option to completely disable it, just like in BMWs and AUDIs

Of course Tesla have a lot more to worry about if someone disables it and then crashes it, particularly if there is any kind of fire within 100 miles of the car during the same week :wink: They are still much more sensitive to any incidents that could feed the FUD. Given the massive, immediate torque I imagine a model S might be more "lively" than other cars with SC disabled so maybe they have opted for safety. Somewhat akin to removing the low suspension setting.

Of course Tesla have a lot more to worry about if someone disables it and then crashes it, particularly if there is any kind of fire within 100 miles of the car during the same week :wink: They are still much more sensitive to any incidents that could feed the FUD. Given the massive, immediate torque I imagine a model S might be more "lively" than other cars with SC disabled so maybe they have opted for safety. Somewhat akin to removing the low suspension setting.

That's my thoughts too. You could ruin a set of tires in no time, and controlling it would be like trying to control one of those cheap RC cars on a tile floor.

I see this thread has been silent since March... which makes sense, there is usually not much winter driving to do in the Northern hemisphere after that :)

The thing is we now have icy roads in the area where I live, and it has been fun up until now to see the car slide a little and TC engage to keep you safe. However, this evening while driving back home I experienced something strange: the car somehow drifted for a good distance (about 20 meters) until I could put it back in a straight line.

I was driving 60-70 km/h, and the turn was about 150-160 degrees I would say. And I have Nokian Hakka R2 on.

I'm sure it would have made an excellent video if someone had recorded it from outside, but the fact is it has left me thinking about the effect of regen braking on these type of situations.

You see, when you have a similar situation with an ICE car, when you lift your foot and counter-steer, you wait a second or two to see if some braking is needed. And on ice, you should usually avoid braking. But on the Model S the regen is actually acting on the rear tires as braking, which I think does not help at all.

Do you see my point? Not sure I'm explaining this clearly...

I think the car wouldn't have drifted for so long without the regen... Makes sense?

This regen (braking) effect was something I worried about a great deal last winter. As it turns out, I didn't have any issues and nothing like you describe. I also have the H2s on my car. One solution might be to set the regen to low when slippery conditions exist.

I see this thread has been silent since March... which makes sense, there is usually not much winter driving to do in the Northern hemisphere after that :)

The thing is we now have icy roads in the area where I live, and it has been fun up until now to see the car slide a little and TC engage to keep you safe. However, this evening while driving back home I experienced something strange: the car somehow drifted for a good distance (about 20 meters) until I could put it back in a straight line.

I was driving 60-70 km/h, and the turn was about 150-160 degrees I would say. And I have Nokian Hakka R2 on.

I'm sure it would have made an excellent video if someone had recorded it from outside, but the fact is it has left me thinking about the effect of regen braking on these type of situations.

You see, when you have a similar situation with an ICE car, when you lift your foot and counter-steer, you wait a second or two to see if some braking is needed. And on ice, you should usually avoid braking. But on the Model S the regen is actually acting on the rear tires as braking, which I think does not help at all.

I think the car wouldn't have drifted for so long without the regen... Makes sense?

Keep in mind that the ABS still kicks in if regen is strong enough for the rear wheels to skid. In the two winters I have had the car driving in slippery conditions with my Hakka R's I have never had an issue with regen being a problem. In fact it has helped on occasion when the road was black ice. Slowing the car with regen on black ice causes the back end to wiggle a little alerting me to the very slick nature of the road.

I don't have my P85D yet, and have never driven a model S, or any car with regenerative braking for that matter, so please bear that in mind as I make this comment. But wouldn't the model S equivalent to lifting your foot off the gas pedal, but not yet braking in an ICE vehicle when sliding on actual ice not be letting off the GO pedal, but rather finding the "neutral" point of the GO pedal, where the Model S is essentially not adding power and also not braking? Wouldn't this approximate what can be done in an ICE vehicle by just releasing the gas pedal but not braking?