Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, this is my first time posting. I have just put Winter Tires on my new Tesla 3, Michelin Xice X13 size 18. The tire gauge warning is one in the car. The tires are at the correct pressure for Winter Tires, how do I turn it off?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, this is my first time posting. I have just put Winter Tires on my new Tesla 3, Michelin Xice X13 size 18. The tire gauge warning is one in the car. The tires are at the correct pressure for Winter Tires, how do I turn it off?

What is the "correct pressure" ? They probably should be at least 42 psi and maybe 45 psi depending on your Model 3's build date and door sticker...

Hello, new to the forum. I’m likely to buy an M3P early next year and trying to work out the best wheel combo for winter. Has anyone used the Pirrelli Sottozero RFT 225/60R18 on one of the properly machined 18” wheel options? Looking to get as much sidewall as possible and backing that up with run flat technology just in case.
Thank you.

Hello, new to the forum. I’m likely to buy an M3P early next year and trying to work out the best wheel combo for winter. Has anyone used the Pirrelli Sottozero RFT 225/60R18 on one of the properly machined 18” wheel options? Looking to get as much sidewall as possible and backing that up with run flat technology just in case.
Thank you.
A 225/60R18 is 2" larger diameter than stock, or 1" larger in radius. I think it's very likely that you will rub on the fenders or suspension components under various amounts of steering lock and bump. In a run flat winter tire that will for sure fit on a Model 3, has the proper XL load rating, and has a sidewall taller than stock, a Sottozero 3 RFT 245/45R18 is pretty much your only choice. The sidewall is only about 1/4" taller than the stock tires, but at least it's in the direction you want.

Last edited:
Thank you.
I haven't tried it myself, but I think a 225/55R18 tire has a good chance of fitting without rubbing, and it has about a 5/8" taller sidewall than stock. There are only a few winter tires in that size however, and none of them are run flat.

Sticking with same 19” sport rims on our SR+ with Nokian Hakka R3’s. it would take 6 years to cover the extra costs unless you just gotta get that 2nd wheel set because they look a lot better in the snow! No, seriously, maybe that’s your reason, then fine. It’s 6 or more years of mounting and balancing costs difference if you do it yourself when I priced it out.

Rocky Mountain Tesla

I can't find the Michelin PA4 in Europe in the right size... I believe the widely replaced with Alpine 5. I'm now undecided between

Continental TS850P (which I've never seen mentioned in the forum but it always have good results in german tests)
Michelin Alpine 5
Pirelli Sottozero 3

I actually have Pirelli SZ3 from my old Audi however in 235/40 R18. Car will be lower which might be good for range.. but all curbs will be on the rim.

What's your suggestion considering I expect cold temperature / wet roads but not so much snow (but of course at least some handling when it's there)?

I haven't tried it myself, but I think a 225/55R18 tire has a good chance of fitting without rubbing, and it has about a 5/8" taller sidewall than stock. There are only a few winter tires in that size however, and none of them are run flat.

Thanks Greg. I was looking at Martian Wheels (18 Inch MW03 FORGED Wheels Tesla Model 3) . They have an 18" M3 Performance wheelset in 7.5" width, 8.5" and 9.5" width. For winter tires I'd really like to stick with the 7.5" width wheel. Their recommended tire sizes for this rim are 215/50-18, 225/45-18, and 225/50-18.

Stock 235/35R20: 20*25.4 + 2*235*0.35 = 672.5mm outside diameter.
225/50R18: 18*25.4 + 2*225*0.50 = 682.2mm outside diameter. 682.2/672.5 - 1 = 1.4% greater diameter.
Sidewall should be: 225*0.5 - 235*0.35 = 30.25mm or 1.19" greater than the stock tires.

Is the above correct?

Thanks a bunch guys.

I should have posted on this thread. Mods please merge as needed.

Another winter tire/wheel option: 19" Gemini Aeros

New Gemini 19" Wheel

1537235-00-A_0.jpg 1537235-00-A_1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Greg. I was looking at Martian Wheels (18 Inch MW03 FORGED Wheels Tesla Model 3) . They have an 18" M3 Performance wheelset in 7.5" width, 8.5" and 9.5" width. For winter tires I'd really like to stick with the 7.5" width wheel. Their recommended tire sizes for this rim are 215/50-18, 225/45-18, and 225/50-18.

Stock 235/35R20: 20*25.4 + 2*235*0.35 = 672.5mm outside diameter.
225/50R18: 18*25.4 + 2*225*0.50 = 682.2mm outside diameter. 682.2/672.5 - 1 = 1.4% greater diameter.
Sidewall should be: 225*0.5 - 235*0.35 = 30.25mm or 1.19" greater than the stock tires.

Is the above correct?

Thanks a bunch guys.
Your math is correct. Going from 20" wheels to 18" wheels is what makes the big difference in sidewall height, and 225/50-18s will for sure fit without problems. Sounds like an excellent, although expensive, option for winter wheels and tires.

Anyone has used Canadian tires to buy tire+Wheels for their M3? I find Micheline X-Ice Xi3 on a good deal and Wheels on a good deal. Any advise would be great!

Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Tire | Canadian Tire
RSSW Velocity Alloy Wheel, Matte Grey | Canadian Tire

Those are lug centric wheels, personally I would steer clear. You should consider hub centric like the OEM wheels.

You want that center hole to match the wheel hub size, preferably without any adapter rings. This puts the load on the hub as designed.

The one you show has an oversized hole, so it will fit many brands. It puts all the load on the lug nuts.

Those are lug centric wheels, personally I would steer clear. You should consider hub centric like the OEM wheels.

You want that center hole to match the wheel hub size, preferably without any adapter rings. This puts the load on the hub as designed.

The one you show has an oversized hole, so it will fit many brands. It puts all the load on the lug nuts.
Plastic Hub rings do just fine for street driving.

@Garlan Garner,

Garlan....Great choice! Ran the PA4’s all last winter and just swapped out my PS4s for the PA4s afew days ago due to the snow coming. Looooooove the PAs. Closest thing to the PSs and in a winter tire. Just the slightest little squirm due to the sipes (which make the tire look cooler/meaner in my opinion) but man-o-man the performance. Glad you like them as well. Enjoy!:D New wheels detected in 5 seconds, size selected.....TPMS detected in 15....and rollin!!! Clockwork.

Ski
@Skione65 and @Garlan Garner What size did you fit? Assuming this is with performance brakes?

Not sure that this has been asked in this thread, but I was wondering....

If I am only buying tires & not wheels, do I need to also get TPMS sensors? Or are those part of the wheels?

Hoping to save a little money, having just bought the car.

Thanks!

You don't need to buy sensors, but sensors sometimes get broken during the change. You might ask the tire shop what they will do for you if this happens.

The tire shop broke one of mine this year. They replaced with an after market sensor, which didn't work. I had Tesla replace with the OEM sensor. Fortunately the tire shop reimbursed me. I'm not sure they all would do that.