Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funnily enough both on the Skoda Superb that I had for 3 years before buying the MX, and on the MX which had winter tyres on all last winter I noticed that they were much quieter than when running on the standard tyres. I have the standard Tesla issue Scorpion winters on a 19 “ rim.

FWIW, I ended up going for Michelin CrossClimate+ for several reasons:
  • I live and drive in the south for the vast majority of the time, so they are a better match for the average temperature ranges down here than true winter tyres. It rarely snows heavily, so I wouldn’t often benefit from the advantage that true winter tyres afford in very cold conditions and snow sticking on the road.
  • The good match of optimal temperature range and climate here means I can use them for a longer period of the year.
  • They are still approved for driving in the alps, so when we get out of this crisis, I can drive over there.
  • ATS had a stellar deal on them and offer the tyre hotel service, so I was able to store my 20” performance wheels and tyres there.
  • Other brands weren’t available from companies offering the tyre hotel.
  • Review videos seemed to show marginal differences between them and the best all season tyres.
I find them OK to drive on. The noise is different but not louder. The 18” wheels give a softer ride and I should sustain less pothole damage this winter (I hope).

Although Herts isn't know for sub-zero blizzard condtions, I hope to be crossing the Pyranees a couple times during this winter, Covid permitting.

I'm looking at Kleber Krisalp HP3S, same rolling resistance and wet ratings as others but 69dB noise level is a big plus for my ears. £410 for four.

Considered the Michelin Alpins and the Goodyear UltraGrip Performace XLs for slightly more money BUT 71dB.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Although Herts isn't know for sub-zero blizzard condtions, I hope to be crossing the Pyranees a couple times during this winter, Covid permitting.

I'm looking at Kleber Krisalp HP3S, same rolling resistance and wet ratings as others but 69dB noise level is a big plus for my ears. £410 for four.

Considered the Michelin Alpins and the Goodyear UltraGrip Performace XLs for slightly more money BUT 71dB.

Thoughts? Thanks.
They are cheap, that’s for sure. I’ve never heard of them. If they get good reviews then fine. I’d personally prioritise winter performance over noise and cost for those sorts of trips.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1402822556.jpeg
Arrived in good time from alltyres365.com in Germany. Thx to above poster for the recommendation.

The M3 is rather crap for tyre/wheel transport. I could only get two wheels and three tyres in it. Two trips to the tyre shop :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gatsojon
View attachment 609442 The M3 is rather crap for tyre/wheel transport. I could only get two wheels and three tyres in it. Two trips to the tyre shop :)
We manage to get 3 wheels with tyres mounted in the car standing up across the back seat (with the seats down) and one in the boot. So once they are mounted you should be able to manage to get home with the summer setup inside the car. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious!

I can confirm the Goodyears don't like cornering at +14C above 60mph. But given that its 7C outside their supposed max operating range its no wonder..Given that snow flurries and below freezing forecast tomorrow night, they're not getting changed!!

For anyone swapping to non standard wheels, best to satisfy yourself that your insurers will be OK with your choice.

Some initial guidance from The Association of British Insurers (ABI) here abi-guide-to-winter-driving---the-motor-insurance-commitment.pdf or double check direct with your insurers.

Note that the guidance above relates to winter tyres fitted 'for personal use that are insured under a private or personal use car insurance policy'. Alternate wheels or business use/policy may be treated differently. They must also be "fitted in accordance with, the vehicle manufacturers’ specifications and are in a roadworthy condition" so size, load and speed ratings must meet manufacturers specifications.

Did you tell the car you had different wheels, or left as original?

Not sure if this is what you are getting at, but if you drive the car, when the car detects a change in TPMS configuration, it prompts you to change wheel configuration if applicable. There is nothing that needs doing to the car when swapping wheels over (other than to dismiss the message) if you are keeping same size wheels - and even then I think its largely cosmetic as its quite a recent option.

Did you tell the car you had different wheels, or left as original?
I did but that is incidental to the TPMS issue.

when I first fitted the wheels I went through the update tpms procedure as you will have done but as you found, it didn’t find anything. I’d given up really and decided I’d bought duff ones but on a motorway drive, I suddenly got a notification and all started working.

4er Set TPMS Tyre Pressure Sensors Metal Valve Black for Tesla Model 3, S, X 10 | eBay

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliter8
Thanks both. To be specific, I have gone from the original 20" Performance alloys to 18" Varros and TPMS from Gavin.

I didn't tell the car I had a wheel size change initially, but it gave me a TPMS not found message. So I changed the wheel configuration to 18" Aero V2s, and now I get a consistent fault.

I wonder if I should have left the wheels configged at 20" and been patient?