Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great thread here: M3P winter tyre package

@FEERSUMENDJIN @Jandd45 @KennethS @Tatoo1 Are you guys all happy now you had a winter with your choices?
While I never really tested them in anger, the car was very surefooted and stable to drive and gave me confidence that in an emergency situation in cold conditions (and in particular when wet) my wife and children were in as safe a vehicle as possible. Fortunately the past winter we did not have much snow at all, but in near and below freezing temperatures the winter tyre setup felt very grippy to me. I didn't think that would necessarily be the case on PS4S rubber, which is really a warmer weather performance compound. And in the anticipation that we are keeping the 3 long term, I feel the investment in wheels and winter rubber was an investment worth making.

Does anyone have any experience with Michelin crossclimate + all season tyres in TM3 dual motor? I was using them for the last few years in my honda CRV and could not complain... Those tyres are m+s

I was thinking of getting those just in case if there is a week of snow in South West this winter.

While I never really tested them in anger, the car was very surefooted and stable to drive and gave me confidence that in an emergency situation in cold conditions (and in particular when wet) my wife and children were in as safe a vehicle as possible. Fortunately the past winter we did not have much snow at all, but in near and below freezing temperatures the winter tyre setup felt very grippy to me. I didn't think that would necessarily be the case on PS4S rubber, which is really a warmer weather performance compound. And in the anticipation that we are keeping the 3 long term, I feel the investment in wheels and winter rubber was an investment worth making.

PS4S is one of those 'drop off the cliff' tyres.
Cross climates tested in this video:

You'll have much more of a choice of winter and all season tyres if you go with 19" or 18" instead of 20" and you'll get the added benefits of them weighing less (so better efficiency), costing less and giving you a more comfortable ride.

Winter and all-season tyres aren't just about maintaining traction in snow and ice. When the temperature falls below a certain point, the overall grip of a summer tyre can drop off a cliff. Your braking distance in the wet will increase dramatically. In an emergency stop situation, the right tyre can be the difference between you being able to stop & steer safely or hitting something.
In addition, summer tyres harden and wear quicker mile for mile in the colder weather. Equally, winter tyres soften and wear quicker in the warmer weather.

For those of you using Michelin PS4S on your M3P, I understand that these tyres are likely to be damaged, e.g. crack, if used below -7C. Such temperatures aren't that uncommon in winter even in southern England. Where I live in rural Oxfordshire we get temperatures this low most winters and I even seen -15C a few years ago. Therefore last year I bought some Tsportline 18in TSS Flow Forged Wheels from the USA and had some Goodyear Ultragrip Performance tyres fitted at ATS. The wheels are currently $1240 for a set. Delivery was very quick at 3 days. They are specifically designed for the Tesla Model 3 and to fit the M3P. They look very similar to the standard M3P wheels, but are lighter in weight. The smaller wheel size compared to standard makes the wheel/tyre package less susceptible to pothole damage, which is much more likely in winter.

Reactions: Gatsojon
"I discovered the value of winter tyres soon after moving back to Aberdeenshire from the south coast. Even with no snow, below 7c they're far better and give you much more confidence in limited grip situations even wet roads, especially flooded roads.
I've got a secondhand set of standard 18" going to get them power coated black to distinguish them. And now waiting for the alpin 4 or 5's to come down in price in September as the tyre firms try to get rid of last years tyre stock.
(I believe there's a law in Germany that you can't sell new tyres made over 3 years ago)"

Well that's the winter tyres fitted today, I see the temperatures are due to drop to close to zero for the next couple of weeks.
I managed without a ultra low jack, I just used a 2 inch thick piece of wood under each wheel to raise the car enough for the jack and puck to fit.
I went for a silver powdercoat in the end with Goodyear Ultragrip Performance Plus after reading many reviews and drawing up a comparison table, they came out on top. Only £503 from alltyres365.com. and they arrived within a week from Germany.
£650 for the wheels, £200 for the powder coat and £503 for the tyres. Hopefully they'll do me many winters.

"I discovered the value of winter tyres soon after moving back to Aberdeenshire from the south coast. Even with no snow, below 7c they're far better and give you much more confidence in limited grip situations even wet roads, especially flooded roads.
I've got a secondhand set of standard 18" going to get them power coated black to distinguish them. And now waiting for the alpin 4 or 5's to come down in price in September as the tyre firms try to get rid of last years tyre stock.
(I believe there's a law in Germany that you can't sell new tyres made over 3 years ago)"

Well that's the winter tyres fitted today, I see the temperatures are due to drop to close to zero for the next couple of weeks.
I managed without a ultra low jack, I just used a 2 inch thick piece of wood under each wheel to raise the car enough for the jack and puck to fit.
I went for a silver powdercoat in the end with Goodyear Ultragrip Performance Plus after reading many reviews and drawing up a comparison table, they came out on top. Only £503 from alltyres365.com. and they arrived within a week from Germany.
£650 for the wheels, £200 for the powder coat and £503 for the tyres. Hopefully they'll do me many winters.

Thanks for the reminder - I’ll get mine on this week.

Any chance you can share said comparison table please @exlatccatsa?
I'll see if I can find anything left on the computer. I made up an excel database with notes based on various wesite tests and then searched for the best prices for the Goodyear but that was back in August/September. I'm not sure where/if I kept it.
What I do remember was that the Goodyear wasn't always the best but it averaged out as being the 2nd or 3rd in most of the tests, was great at wet braking fairly quiet and not the most expensive.

If you live in northern Scotland - yes!
Still haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m doing about 15 miles a week in Tier3 lockdown. Figure it’s going to be like that for a while so hard to justify the spend on wheels/tyres. If it snows, I’ll stay home. My second car is a Zoe and it’s as sure footed as a mountain goat when the roads are slippy. Possible has worse sounding door and boot closing than my Tesla though (hard as that may be to believe)

Reactions: Avendit
I may face jumped the gun with the winter tyres..instead of 5c forecast tomorrow it's now supposed to be 15c!! However I notice on teslafi it now shows max and min temps. A couple of nights ago it says the min temp.was -7.8c

I may face jumped the gun with the winter tyres..instead of 5c forecast tomorrow it's now supposed to be 15c!! However I notice on teslafi it now shows max and min temps. A couple of nights ago it says the min temp.was -7.8c
15c in Aberdeenshire in spring or autumn usually suggests heavy snow is on the way in a few days.

I reckon you've timed it perfectly :)

Reactions: KendoNagasaki
First run on the Goodyears today 130 miles at max 17c!! Stayed at 60 mph ..didnt want to overheat them.
Only used 8-10wh/m more from what I could see..they're very quiet.. really pleased with them. Now to see what effect rain and snow have on them.