Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers - a suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, and clearly many others, still do not feel comfortable using the wiper system on the model 3, particularly at night.

The auto mode is still poor ( there are still times when it is on when you don’t want it and not when you do) so you end up having to adjust settings manually which means you have to take your eyes off the road when you least want to ( I know you can talk to the car but I don’t always want to do this)

So I’d welcome feedback on a suggestion to see if the stalk can be programmed as follows - long press to continuously start the wipers and long press to stop them, and/or multiple presses for the various speeds

If the above has support does anyone have any idea how we could influence Tesla to make the change??

if it's any consolation (probably not) I have 2 nissans (1 is a recent leaf) the auto wiper setting isn't a great deal better.
Or should I say, similarly as bad as the M3 I have.

Back in the day on some cars you could press the end of the stalk twice (with a gap between presses) and it would use that delay. Quite nice, that would feel sophisticated today, lol.
But yes I like your idea, surely that would be great, with a button on the screen called manual to active this mode?

Last edited:
Surely a long press currently activates the windscreen washers, which I use a fair bit...

I guess I must be lucky, I have very few instances where the auto wipers don't come on when I want them to, and then a simple tap of the stalk seems to kick start them...

With regards to the question about getting Tesla to listen to ideas, I'm not sure anyone has worked that one out yet :confused:

Surely a long press currently activates the windscreen washers, which I use a fair bit...

I guess I must be lucky, I have very few instances where the auto wipers don't come on when I want them to, and then a simple tap of the stalk seems to kick start them...

With regards to the question about getting Tesla to listen to ideas, I'm not sure anyone has worked that one out yet :confused:

i think you have to press all the way down to activate the washer, I’m proposing just pressing down to activate the wipers only and holding there

Reactions: jsmay311
At best I’d say the automatic wiper performance is unacceptable and at worst downright dangerous. For example I was driving in very heavy rain a couple of weeks ago and the wipers seemed stuck in intermittent mode which forces you to take your eyes off the road to change their speed. As others have said it isn’t like other cars don’t have automatic wipers that work. Maybe if they spent a bit less time on things like the ‘emissions’ app and games and a bit more on things that matter, such as wipers and the terrible media player along with improving the quality control (how many new cars are still being delivered with basic faults?), then I think we’d all be a lot happier.

I, and clearly many others, still do not feel comfortable using the wiper system on the model 3, particularly at night.

The auto mode is still poor ( there are still times when it is on when you don’t want it and not when you do) so you end up having to adjust settings manually which means you have to take your eyes off the road when you least want to ( I know you can talk to the car but I don’t always want to do this)

So I’d welcome feedback on a suggestion to see if the stalk can be programmed as follows - long press to continuously start the wipers and long press to stop them, and/or multiple presses for the various speeds

If the above has support does anyone have any idea how we could influence Tesla to make the change??
I've thought given a single press not only makes the wipers move once but brings up the speed settings on the screen, why not make the left scroll wheel cycle through each wiper speed setting while displayed? So in a tricky situation a stalk button press and then scroll the wheel to the speed you need, with high speed at the end so you can find it without looking. As for getting Tesla to listen you can try spamming Elon via Twitter and also the main @tesla account but how effective that is who knows?!

There is no need to look at or touch the screen... I use Voice Command by pressing the right scroll wheel for literally everything. Simply state: "Windshield Wiper Speed 1", "Wiper Speed 2", "Windshield Wiper Speed 3", "Windshield Wiper Auto", "Windshield Wiper Off", "Santa Mode On", Santa Mode Off", Play "Unbreak My Heart", Play "Jingle Bells", "My Butt is Cold" - Turns drivers seat on high, (You can name any seat position, Front Passengers Seat Level 2, Right Rear Seat Level 1), "Open Glove Box", "Turn on Rear Defrost", "Turn on Front Defroster", "Turn on Heat", "Set Speed to 75". Text, "Friends Name", next press Voice Command Button a second time and speak message, next press Voice Command Button a third time to send message, Call "Friends Name", Navigate to "Home Depot". Once you have gotten use to using Voice Command you can go a day without touching the screen. I had a large portion of my tongue remove 2 years ago for a pre-cancerous lesion. I find some words difficult at times to get out, yet it has no problem understanding me.

Last edited:
There is no need to look at or touch the screen... I use Voice Command by pressing the right scroll wheel for literally everything. Simply state: "Windshield Wiper Speed 1", "Wiper Speed 2", "Windshield Wiper Speed 3", "Windshield Wiper Auto", "Windshield Wiper Off", "Santa Mode On", Santa Mode Off", Play "Unbreak My Heart", Play "Jingle Bells", "My Butt is Cold" - Turns drivers seat on high, (You can name any seat position, Front Passengers Seat Level 2, Right Rear Seat Level 1), "Open Glove Box", "Turn on Rear Defrost", "Turn on Front Defroster", "Turn on Heat", "Set Speed to 75". Text, "Friends Name", next press Voice Command Button a second time and speak message, next press Voice Command Button a third time to send message, Call "Friends Name", Navigate to "Home Depot". Once you have gotten use to using Voice Command you can go a day without touching the screen. I had a large portion of my tongue remove 2 years ago for a pre-cancerous lesion. I find some words difficult at times to get out, yet it has no problem understanding me.

Two issues here - firstly we are separated by a common language with highly variable dialects. But more importantly not all of us live with good enough cell coverage for guaranteed response - and the more rural you are with poorer coverage the more you are likely to be reliant on good viz and narrow twisty roads and hazards.

i think you have to press all the way down to activate the washer, I’m proposing just pressing down to activate the wipers only and holding there

In general, giving a single-press on the wiper button seems to give them the hint they need to start wiping for me. That and the voice commands seem to do the trick, though of course YMMV.

I've thought given a single press not only makes the wipers move once but brings up the speed settings on the screen, why not make the left scroll wheel cycle through each wiper speed setting while displayed? So in a tricky situation a stalk button press and then scroll the wheel to the speed you need, with high speed at the end so you can find it without looking. As for getting Tesla to listen you can try spamming Elon via Twitter and also the main @tesla account but how effective that is who knows?!
Good suggestion -- simple and elegant. Doesn't force anyone to use it who is satisfied with the current design but provides another option.

Ingenext developed a module that allowed this and some additional modifications to be made:

BONUS Module - For Tesla Model 3

They also did a performance boost module however Tesla quickly caught on and disabled it however I think future revisions became undetectable by Tesla although it does seem a bit cat and mouse.

Two issues here - firstly we are separated by a common language with highly variable dialects. But more importantly not all of us live with good enough cell coverage for guaranteed response - and the more rural you are with poorer coverage the more you are likely to be reliant on good viz and narrow twisty roads and hazards.
Voice commands work great - eyes on the road all the time. Is cell coverage needed for voice commands??