Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With 8.0 I have to take over for auto pilot more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think 8.0 is more sensitive for sure, and I've noticed more wobble between the lane markings. But it is too early to really say as I've only used it a couple of days. In addition to it's inability (for now) to see over crests of the hill in front off you, it also does not seem to know to slow down when rounding a tight turn; nor read the road signs which caution you to slow down below the speed limit.

Eventually this ought to work too.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

If you haven't changed to 8.0, DON'T!

I'm staying on 7.1 until / if Tesla gets this all sorted out although my motivation for not installing 8.0 is because USB browsing was busted and I don't want to lose that capability. Now it appears it was good for me to hold off for other reasons. I do a great deal of country road driving and what the OP describes would be a serious downgrade.

Also... With version 8 the adaptive cruise control has failed numerous times just at the point where braking should begin. I notice the car is failing to slow down or is even speeding up when it should start braking. Every time the dash has displayed an error message with the yellow hazard triangle and red exclamation mark that adaptive cruise is no longer available while pinging the alarm to get my attention. Because I am watching traffic and drive with my foot hovering over the brake when in adaptive cruise or steering I've been able to react quick enough to stop in time.

The first part of solving that problem is having a more detailed point cloud. Software 8.0 unlocks access to six times as many radar objects with the same hardware with a lot more information per object.

The second part consists of assembling those radar snapshots, which take place every tenth of a second, into a 3D "picture" of the world. It is hard to tell from a single frame whether an object is moving or stationary or to distinguish spurious reflections. By comparing several contiguous frames against vehicle velocity and expected path, the car can tell if something is real and assess the probability of collision.

Tesla blog

Teslas now see the world differently and have to process that information differently.

If my vision/perception was suddenly changed, I imagine that my behaviour would suffer a similar shift.

I'd notice some things and ignore others simply because they look different.

Would that upset friends and relatives? Probably. They'd worry I was on drugs.

Maybe that's the metaphor we need; Version 8.0 is mind-expanding.

Maybe that's why the music player has become harder to use; the cars are going to start recommending tracks by The Velvet Underground, Jefferson Airplane and The Byrds.

Last edited:
After another 1,000 miles or so on v8 I have the following observations:

The good news:
1) The driving on the 'twisty less traveled' roads is improving. I guess because of the high resolution maps that are generated by my previous drives on the same twisty roads. It is quite some time since I have had the 'veer across the yellow line' problem which occurred quite often when I first started on v8, on twisty roads. So AP does seem to be improving.
2) The AP driving on a trip this week from Atlanta to Nashville and back was really good. No errors on the whole trip.

The bad news:
1) The 'crest of the hill' problem seems just as bad as v7.1. All bets are off what AP is going to do when you crest a hill, so a firm grip on the wheel to make sure AP does not do something silly is required when cresting a hill.
2) There is a use case which is quite dangerous. When you approach stopped traffic directly ahead the radar 'sees' the stopped traffic, identifies the stopped traffic as a target, and brakes sensibly. Every time so far.

However, when the road is curved and the stopped traffic is not directly in front of the car (but is off to the right or the left) then the AP does not acquire the stopped traffic as a target, and does not brake. You had better be prepared to manually brake hard in this circumstance.

I'm sure these use cases are emerging with the additional driving/feedback that Tesla is learning since v8 release, and hopefully will be improved in v8.1.

Overall, due to the better general braking when coming across stopped traffic, v8 is an improvement on v7.1.

Reactions: scottf200
Mine hasn't improved. It still wanders across clear lines into oncoming traffic. The lines are indicated on the instrument cluster in blue and the car is shown straddling the line. It's like the ap has given up but hasn't warned me.

There's a stretch of freeway that I have been driving about twice a month for the last year. There's one spot where I am consistently in the middle of 3 lanes, and the AP would drift the car into the right lane (well marked lanes, flat road, no reason that I can tell as to why it lost the lane). That got fixed with 8.0. When I would pass a large truck on this freeway, about 25% of the time the car would veer towards the truck and require manual intervention to prevent a collision. That too has been fixed in 8.0.

There are a couple of freeways near me that have spots with significant curves on an incline. Every time there's an update, I take the car out to see how it does. 8.0 was the first version that I didn't have to take manual control. Not that it did well, but it made it through the sections without an imminent collision or going off the road.

Every version of AP I've had has had problems. Newer versions have reduced some problems while typically adding a few new ones. Overall, I have found the total number of problems has been reduced up through the current version -- but it still has issues. I'm personally glad I updated to 8.0m because the problems it has are less life-threatening then the problems I experienced in that last version.

Drove from Portland to Seattle yesterday. Centalia, WA Super Charger was AWESOME!!! That said I must have taken over from autopilot at least 10 times as it tried to straddle the right lane and the next exit. Seems to work better if a car is in front of you (your own lane or lane to your left).

I agree that 8.0 appears less "stable" or "confident" in the car's placement between the lines. It now tends to "wobble" (to use somebody else's phrase above) as if "searching" for the proper line to take. I am assuming that fleet learning will lead to forthcoming upgrade to improve tracking stability/accuracy. I'm not complaining; just sharing an observation relative to the subject.

FWIW: Reported my 8.0 higher-frequency-than-usual Truck List and left barrier hugging situations to my SvC when my MS went in for annual service. Got it back yesterday. They installed 2.38.19 (not 2.40.21), tested front/rear sonar which passed with no adjustments needed. They did however calibrate both the front radar and camera. As to if that helped anything, IDK yet, but it was interesting to me the calibrations were done on a 1-year old MS thats had no accidents, etc...

I agree that 8.0 appears less "stable" or "confident" in the car's placement between the lines. It now tends to "wobble" (to use somebody else's phrase above) as if "searching" for the proper line to take. I am assuming that fleet learning will lead to forthcoming upgrade to improve tracking stability/accuracy. I'm not complaining; just sharing an observation relative to the subject.

Fleet learning is decreasing stability for me. The car pulls suddenly and almost violently to either side in the middle of a good road with no cars on it, because for 6 hours of the day there are thousands of cars yanking to the left or right in rush "hour" traffic. Either that, or it just doesn't work right.

For what it is worth my experience with version 8 is that it does a much better job of stopping when the car ahead stops. It is very civilized and not so abrupt as was version 7. Unfortunately, The auto steer application is NOT better that version 7. It is more stressful to use it than to drive yourself because it wanders within the lanes lines like a drunk and scares me. I rarely use it anymore. I kept hoping it was learning something and by using it, I was contributing to its education, but the tuition is just too high. I used to love to show off the "autopilot" to visitors and potential Tesla customers. I do not do that anymore. I hope that Tesla can generate some compromise between the 7 and 8 autosteer software very soon. For now....I will not use it.....just too scary.

• Helpful
Reactions: AWDtsla and BertL
For what it is worth my experience with version 8 is that it does a much better job of stopping when the car ahead stops. It is very civilized and not so abrupt as was version 7. Unfortunately, The auto steer application is NOT better that version 7. It is more stressful to use it than to drive yourself because it wanders within the lanes lines like a drunk and scares me. I rarely use it anymore. I kept hoping it was learning something and by using it, I was contributing to its education, but the tuition is just too high. I used to love to show off the "autopilot" to visitors and potential Tesla customers. I do not do that anymore. I hope that Tesla can generate some compromise between the 7 and 8 autosteer software very soon. For now....I will not use it.....just too scary.

Funny I was going to start a new thread about how AP is too scary to use in 8.0. Guess I'm not alone. Both braking and steering. If I could go back several revisions, I would. I don't feel like using it almost anywhere anymore. The last place would be a deserted 3-lane highway in the middle of the night, but I said about what I think are fleet learning steering corrections eliminate that too.

I'm not very comfortable with AP 1.0 either - the only time I use it is on a divided highway with light traffic - I hold on to it every time a vehicle passes. My issues:

1. The auto-steer has a difficult time maintaining lanes over a crest. I have a few spots on my commute that I have to take over after the car starts moving from side to side. I generally drive the speed limit, so the car usually doesn't have a car to follow - maybe that would improve the performance.
2. The auto-steer hugs the lane division marker too close for my comfort - especially when other cars are passing (I'm an edge-hugger). I wish they could provide some sort of bias parameter to adjust that.
3. This is not related to auto-steer, but the car brakes too hard and too far away from cars ahead turning right - even when there's a turn lane. I'm always afraid that someone is going to rear-end me when this happens. My wife's Nissan Murano does the same thing, so I guess it's a problem across brands.

I do hope Tesla can continue to make improvements to the AP 1.0 system - I kind of feel like a wasted my money on the feature...

Not to pile on, but feeling the same thing as others. On the back roads, with rock-solid clear lines (just painted a few months ago) the car is constantly losing the lines and veering into oncoming traffic, or off the road. Especially over hills as many have mentioned. In fact even on the highway I've had a few near incidents where it decides to just pull towards the center guardrail for no apparent reason.

Just took a trip from Northwest Arkansas to Tulsa OK this past weekend. The trip is about 80 miles of good lines and good roads (Cherokee turnpike tollway) and I couldn't keep AP ON without it constantly veering off the road or into other cars. I gave up and just went with TACC for a few hours

When I picked up the car and drove 3 hours from Kansas City to Northwest Arkansas, I had AP on the entire way home on 7.1, and it was relatively flawless. Unfortunately it's at a point now where AP is a gimmick and relatively unusable. Definitely going backwards....

Just wait until AP 2.0 is struggling to match 7.1 next spring. If it happens, it's going to get ugly. Just imagine a buyer that has driven 7.0/7.1 for the last year...upgrades at significant cost to a car so they can get the new hardware...and then has to wait without any usable autopilot for 6+ months. Total downgrade. I'm planning to wait until it's released and proven before even considering the new hardware...I'm sure it will come, but I'm not going without autopilot until then. 7.1 forever :D