Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worthless internet browser?

Do you use the internet browser on a regular basis?

• No

Votes: 128 78.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 36 22.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Browser is perfectly fine.

Works well for me.
My bookmarks include.

1. Weather.

2. Ontario wind power generation 10 hour prediction (I choose which day I charge nearly full depending on amount of available excess wind power).

3. Plugshare (the specific Tesla version)

4. Waze (see thread elsewhere on this site, SUPER useful, works perfectly)

5. Weather alerts (more specific than weather, goes straight to alert page)

6. Twitter feed with #tesla tag search

7. CBC mobile news

The list goes on.
Sure, major sites with ads and overbuilt javascript don't run so hot, but I avoid those on my phone let alone in my car.
I think it's usable, but it doesn't remember login name and passwords, so that affects it's usability the most. It's seriously primitive, but it is usable to some extent. It won't play any videos or audio. My favorite use for it is this: Starfield Simulation - Fun Tesla Screen I don't think you can call that worthless, can you? LOL, the graphics look way better viewing this on my ten year old PC, than they do on my one year old Tesla's center screen. Oh well, luckily not being able to order my car from it wasn't a deal breaker.

Reactions: Dr. J and t0mmyr
Well comparing it to all other cars currently available that have an integrated web browser in the touchscreen on the dash I'd say it works fairly well. Understanding of course that web browsing is not the core function of the MCU. But it can come in handy when all else fails, or when you have the time..

I find it I use it to catch up on news and emails and such generally while waiting at a supercharger

I think it's usable, but it doesn't remember login name and passwords, so that affects it's usability the most. It's seriously primitive, but it is usable to some extent. It won't play any videos or audio. My favorite use for it is this: Starfield Simulation - Fun Tesla Screen I don't think you can call that worthless, can you? LOL, the graphics look way better viewing this on my ten year old PC, than they do on my one year old Tesla's center screen. Oh well, luckily not being able to order my car from it wasn't a deal breaker.

I forgot all about those when I sold my P85+
Fun Tesla Screens, Dashboards, Valet Messages & More

Thanks for the reminder!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
The browser is years behind in security updates. I honestly think the only way it is going to be updated is when a tetherless "hackMyTesla.com" website exploit appears, that either takes control of your car's autopilot, or enables things like autopilot and battery caps without paying for it. There's been no follow through on the promised updates, so nothing short of bad press or financial motivation is going to make this change.

or, maybe there is a merge with the 9.0 or whatever version of the OS we've seen running in the Model 3, Roadster, and Semi coming. That looks drastically different, so maybe they started over with that build - it would explain why we haven't had our big 2017 update liek was common around October in years past.

Browser is perfectly fine.

Works well for me.
My bookmarks include.

1. Weather.

2. Ontario wind power generation 10 hour prediction (I choose which day I charge nearly full depending on amount of available excess wind power).

3. Plugshare (the specific Tesla version)

Tesla.PlugShare.com is currently down for renovations to resolve incompatibility issues between Google Maps and the current Tesla Web Browser.

In the meantime please use the PlugShare Android or iOS apps available for free on the Play Store and Apple App Store.

We look forward to bringing you an updated site soon.

-The PlugShare Team

Tesla Waze is full time on my browser screen.
Best...App...Ever :cool:
Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information
upload_2017-12-15_20-53-40.png

Reactions: BrokerDon