Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you, could you drive a ICE again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I’ve just sold my Model S, was picked up by new owner yesterday (was emotional, I know pathetic) so down to the one Model X (technically my wife’s car) until my new Model 3 arrives....

Now I’m shirty about the delays and customer driven request for information/updates with slow responses, especially as this could be automated and automatic but....but...but I decided to take up a friends offer to borrow he’s brand new GLE 63 AMG for the next month (a Tesla month no doubt)....was flabbergasted!

So got in to the car and was lost with all the buttons (been 4 years in my Model S), tried as I might to set up my iPhone with the car (forget it) started it up (not to bad, but odd), reversed out of his driveway (started reaching for my glasses, god that screen is tiny) drive off and decided to hit the pedal, crap load of noise (deep throating it all the way) and then realised for all the noise I “wasn’t” over the speed limit.... so after much fiddling about went to Sports Mode and had much the same result...ok that’s odd.... in to Sports+ and for all noise and holding on to the gears it’s just noisier.... don’t get me started on having to use the brake, like always!

So could I go back to an ICE, no way! Could you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark E and Gnat666
Ok, I’ve just sold my Model S, was picked up by new owner yesterday (was emotional, I know pathetic) so down to the one Model X (technically my wife’s car) until my new Model 3 arrives....

Now I’m shirty about the delays and customer driven request for information/updates with slow responses, especially as this could be automated and automatic but....but...but I decided to take up a friends offer to borrow he’s brand new GLE 63 AMG for the next month (a Tesla month no doubt)....was flabbergasted!

So got in to the car and was lost with all the buttons (been 4 years in my Model S), tried as I might to set up my iPhone with the car (forget it) started it up (not to bad, but odd), reversed out of his driveway (started reaching for my glasses, god that screen is tiny) drive off and decided to hit the pedal, crap load of noise (deep throating it all the way) and then realised for all the noise I “wasn’t” over the speed limit.... so after much fiddling about went to Sports Mode and had much the same result...ok that’s odd.... in to Sports+ and for all noise and holding on to the gears it’s just noisier.... don’t get me started on having to use the brake, like always!

Every EV owner should drive an ICE once a year for a few kilometres to remind them how good electric is, maybe do it on the same day as the yearly dental checkup to share the pain on one day only.

Currently driving a Audi Q7 while mine is in for repair. GOD I hate the damn thing.
Gutless, too many buttons, no TACC, no heated seats, no pre-conditioning, I HAVE TO TURN THE STEERING WHEEL!!!, the list goes on. I'm like a spoiled kid, and I am throwing a tantrum.
Another 6 days until mine should be ready, until then I'm driving the least amount I can.

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
The brighter half has last years Beemer, I didn’t drive it for a couple of weeks after taking delivery- it’s a good car, but after getting accustomed to driving my P3.. I drove it for first time a few weeks after getting my P3- I can remember thinking to myself ‘what a piece of sheet’ as I put the pedal to the floor & started counting as nothing happens.. catching myself & realising that this ‘was’ a nice sporty car only a few weeks ago! Never mind all the palaver of getting in & getting it started.. all the buttons & crap UI- I realised what I’d heard and read from all the earlier Tesla owners is true- never going back now.
Once everyone experiences one & gets accustomed to it- it’s why EV’s (in particular Tesla) will win out in time.
Can’t keep a good thing/idea down.

Are we talking EV's in general or Teslas?

There are some EVs around that are bloody awful. It is just that Tesla's are all pretty much amazing and are better than anything in their respective classes - from the M3 SR+ all the way up the range - usually they are so far better it is crazy. They outshine everything in almost all metrics except perhaps interior finish.

I regard the M3 SR+ as probably the best value for money car in the country.

I test drove a Hyundai Kona EV and found it fricken awful - for about the same price as an SR+.

Edit: to Answer the question = No way. Done with ICE.

Worse, BMW actually add pretend growling engine noise via the sound system these days. How sad is THAT??? :) I used to so like the BMW brand and cars, how the mighty have fallen.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc and Vostok
Could I? Yes. Would I? No. I think it's important to support, roughly speaking, Tesla's mission. As such, I furthermore give heavy preference to Tesla over other EV manufacturers. Tesla's commitment to infrastructure, through the supercharger network and the Tesla Energy division, are particularly encouraging.

Hell no.
I've told this story before, but a colleague bought an Audi S5 for over $100K and we took it for a spin.
I had to fake my enjoyment. Utterly gutless. I actually sneakily looked at the pedals to confirm he was flooring the throttle.

Why oh why do people buy these sh*tboxes when Tesla exists? This guy has a garage and drives 30km/day.

A
Hell no.
I've told this story before, but a colleague bought an Audi S5 for over $100K and we took it for a spin.
I had to fake my enjoyment. Utterly gutless. I actually sneakily looked at the pedals to confirm he was flooring the throttle.

Why oh why do people buy these sh*tboxes when Tesla exists? This guy has a garage and drives 30km/day.

At $205k+ for the GLA63 AMG (only 3 months old) I was amazed at how gutless it is compare to my Model S I just sold....