Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow, big price difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hadn't looked at pricing in a while. I got my P90D Insane at the end of last year for $120,000. Now, you can no longer get a 90 battery with the Performance Model and can no longer get a Performance Model without Ludicrous.

I love my P90D with Insane mode. Far more acceleration than I need and still wows the hell out of anyone that rides in it. All of them say, it's the quickest car they've ever ridden in. Thus the Ludicrous option wouldn't have changed that. I don't race the car, it was just for fun and Insane mode more than satisfies.

Apparently there were some other price increases along the way as well. Building a new P100D with the exact same options as my car now comes out to $146,000. $26,000 more to get a car that won't give me any more satisfaction than my current car already does.

It was a big stretch for me to go to $120,000 on a car. Happy I did, but was pushing it. No way in heck I would have done it for $146,000. Heck, for another $9,000 I can get a Model 3.

I think Tesla went overboard by removing the option to go with the lower battery pack size and Insane mode and likely priced a lot of people out of a Tesla. I wouldn't have bought just a 90D. The P85D/P90D Insane mode was what made the difference for me to upgrade. Had I waited a few months, they certainly would have lost a sale.

Lease payment is over $500 more for the newly configured car as well. And again, there's nothing the new car has that would benefit me more than my existing car. With superchargers every 150 miles, the extra 30 miles in range is useless to me. Not like I'd be able to skip superchargers because of the 30 miles of extra range, so no benefit there. And my passengers would still say it's the fastest car they've ever been in.

I know Tesla prices things simply because "they can", but I think this one goes over the top. I couldn't justify $10,000 for Ludicrous mode before. Now it's effectively $26,000 and you're forced to get it if you want the top of the line Model S offered.

Bad move Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
I completely disagree.

The P100D, the 3rd fastest car on record for 0-60 and the only one of those 3 now in production, is not targeted for the "bottom up" crowd. This is a car who's sole target audience is the "I must have the fastest" crowd. People that spend millions on cars. For this "top down" crowd this is an absolute bargain and is a fraction of what they usually pay for performance of this level.

EDIT - the P90D was not the same speed class of car, close, but not there. This is a 100% e-peen car, pure and simple.

Hadn't looked at pricing in a while. I got my P90D Insane at the end of last year for $120,000. Now, you can no longer get a 90 battery with the Performance Model and can no longer get a Performance Model without Ludicrous.

Sure you can. Just select 90D, then the P90D box that pops up below. You can't get ludicrous on the P90D now. If you want Ludicrous on the P90D you have to buy an inventory car.

I completely disagree.

The P100D, the 3rd fastest car on record for 0-60 and the only one of those 3 now in production, is not targeted for the "bottom up" crowd. This is a car who's sole target audience is the "I must have the fastest" crowd. People that spend millions on cars. For this "top down" crowd this is an absolute bargain and is a fraction of what they usually pay for performance of this level.

EDIT - the P90D was not the same speed class of car, close, but not there. This is a 100% e-peen car, pure and simple.
I don't believe anyone has ever recorded a LaFerrari hitting 60mph in 2.5 seconds. I don't even think it is possible with RWD.

I love my P90D with Insane mode. Far more acceleration than I need and still wows the hell out of anyone that rides in it. A
I am glad you are happy with your Tesla. As has been pointed out, it is still possible to order a P90D that will do 0-60 in 3.0 seconds which strikes me as insanely quick. But Tesla has now reconfigured the Model S choices to restrict Ludicrous Mode to the P100D version, I think to make a strong marketing statement that a Tesla EV is the quickest production car in the world. A heavy 5 passenger sedan. Incredible.

At the same time, Tesla has lowered the Model S base price while at the same time including many features that were optional when I purchased my Model S 85 in 2013. Amazing.

I see no reason to criticize Tesla for the recent Model S configuration changes at the high end. You are welcome to do so of course.

My point was not that the P100D is too expensive at all. It was that it appeared they removed all other Performance versions of the car where before you could get insane performance for $120,000, you now had to spend $26,000 more to get a "Performance" version of the car. Apparently, accordingly to a post above, that is incorrect and you can still get a regular P90D. If that's the case, then I stand corrected and that's great to hear. It allows those on the edge to still experience an amazing car while giving those that want the option of even more, that option as well with the P100D. No different than my passing on the Ludicrous option when I got mine. So I'm glad to hear that the lower price point still exists. I didn't see the option when I looked. Apparently there's a back door to the P90D on the website.

Thanks

I don't know what options you chose on your car, but I just went to the design studio and configured an Insane Mode P90D for 112,000.00 before options. When I add the things I would want on the car (Including the luxury package, charger upgrade, pano roof, SAS, HiFi, and a host of other options), the price still only came up to 133. Ha, "Only." Anyway, I don't think that the cars are significantly more expensive than they were about a year ago. There are novel options (such as ludicrous and 100 kWh batteries) that you can now add to significantly increase the price, though. The bigger difference now is the lack of a RWD Performance option (No Insane mode), like we had in 2014.

I only wish they offer a performance suspension package on P100D. Don't know if the "100" is any different than the P90D's but they need to tune the suspension in relation to the power output of the car. I wish they installed some magentorheological dampers or at least adjustable air dampers (not just height) on the car.

This is one area where I feel they have regressed in some ways from the original P85+ days.

Also consider that the 100D - when it comes out in a few months - will have better performance than current 90Ds. The 100D may even approach the level of performance of the non-L P90Ds out there right now and will not carry the "P" premium. The 100D might be the answer for those wanting more performance but can't quite step up to the P100D level.

I only wish they offer a performance suspension package on P100D. Don't know if the "100" is any different than the P90D's but they need to tune the suspension in relation to the power output of the car. I wish they installed some magentorheological dampers or at least adjustable air dampers (not just height) on the car.

This is one area where I feel they have regressed in some ways from the original P85+ days.

I agree. it's a shame. the standard suspension is not a good match for that much power.

therefore, those early P85D owners (with the + suspension) who upgraded to Ludicrous have the perfect Tesla, IMO. I'll take the sport suspension with a 2.8 sixty time over a 2.5 car with vanilla suspension any day.

Car and Driver did. Its certainly possible with RWD. RWD cars can run the 1/4 mile in 3.6s. The whole limit of physics thing is nonsense.
No C&D figures are almost always bullshit. It's just clickbait to sell more magazines. If you look at their procedures the get a time, then knock time off to 'offset' things like the 1 foot roll out. (Which is total bullshit in itself).

As I recently mentioned in a similar thread, I'm thrilled with my S70D, but I think I would have a hard time spending 150K on a Model S regardless of its specs. I'm sure the P100D will be a great car, but it's too similar to the way cheaper version to feel worth it for me. Probably sounds petty, but if I was able to comfortably spend that kind of money on a car, I don't want it to resemble any car that costs half as much. I guess a similar comparison would be the Mustang line. The GT350 ($60K) is so similar to the base V6 version ($25K) in appearance that it makes it less desirable to me, even if the actual performance is miles apart. The same argument could be made for a more "upscale" car and its various iterations like the 911 as well.

Looking at $150K cars, I think I would try to find a way to take it up a level and buy a Lambo or Ferrari even if it was a little "slower." If ~$150K was truly the max, I would definitely look pretty hard at a Mercedes GT AMG, Aston Martin Vantage, Mclaren 570, etc.
I'm not saying I for sure wouldn't end up with the Tesla, as I'm really not sure how to even approach that kind of car shopping. Maybe I'm romanticizing the ownership experience of those other cars a bit because I've grown up with their posters on my wall and I see/hear them when I'm lucky enough to be at a race weekend (really love sportscar/prototype racing series). If someone wants to donate $150K so I can experience it, I'll happily give it a go!